Preview Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Friday 28th April, 7:50PM AEST *WOOD 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • Power

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
King back this week? 👀
lying GIF

King back this week? 👀

Early prognosis​

St Kilda welcomed back two big names – Jack Steele and Tim Membrey – against Carlton on Sunday and should start getting back some more players in coming weeks. Jones is still at least a week away from playing his first game of the year after being dogged by an Achilles issue. King is closing in on a return from a shoulder reconstruction but not expected to be available for another month. – Josh Gabelich

We all demanded we get this game back in Melbourne so it will be very disappointing if we don’t get 30+ at the game . ESP sitting on top , finally getting port at home and Fri night as well .

We aren't good at turning up and Port don't have many Melbourne based fans.

Early prognosis​

St Kilda welcomed back two big names – Jack Steele and Tim Membrey – against Carlton on Sunday and should start getting back some more players in coming weeks. Jones is still at least a week away from playing his first game of the year after being dogged by an Achilles issue. King is closing in on a return from a shoulder reconstruction but not expected to be available for another month. – Josh Gabelich

I quite like Josh Gabelich but get the sense he just writes these on the basis of the published injury list, not with any inside knowledge.

Are we on a better deal from the AFL yet?

We used to lose money on 20K games.

I think it's worse because we get gate takings now. We need to get people there to make money. The AFL let us have them because they were subsidising it most of the time.

Why aren’t people attending games? Cost?

Lots of factors, we were an unreliable boring side to watch and have been down for so long that we have had people get out of the habit of going. Add covid, cost, ticketing system and fixture and we are a pretty unattractive night out. Watching Ratts and Richo footy was as enjoyable as having your balls whipped with a birch branch dipped in dencorub. It was no wonder we lost punters.

I think people will start to get back on board now that we aren't boring and unreliable. My son doesn't need to be bribed at the moment for the first time in years. The best thing about the Essendon game was that there was a very big contingent of teenagers all getting into the game sitting behind goals taking selfies and screaming all night. Only older people and kids that had no choice seemed to go before.

Early prognosis​

The thing is he’s actually returning from a hammy injury now not a shoulder reco… so I’d question how accurate that is from Josh, not sure he really knows himself to be honest.

We just had the 2nd highest home and away crowd ever yesterday and a massive crowd the night before so I don't think we can blame cost

We just don't have a massive fan base so when we play interstate sides lime port it's never going to be a big crowd

Friday night though with the best footy we've played since 2010 we should be getting 30k

We should, I think that there are people who still need convincing that it's not a flash in the pan. If we get 30k we will be starting to look like a serious side again. We need people to turn up and turn the umpires our way like the crowds do for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We certainly don’t have the largest fan base, but surely we need to start showing up for the team. 25k is piss poor considering how long we’ve waited for a decent performing team!

If we’re setting membership records we need to follow suit with attendance.

What I’m trying to say is, why aren’t you campaigners getting there?!
And even when they do turn up they make no noise , there is a group that stand on the concourse around bay 12 who get right into it, one well know media person is part of that group

The thing is he’s actually returning from a hammy injury now not a shoulder reco… so I’d question how accurate that is from Josh, not sure he really knows himself to be honest.

The hammy must have been months ago. I think that they wanted him to do another preseason post hamstring. I'm not really sure what our game is with injury but the club seems to be ****ing with opposition planning around our ins. I expect the AFL to ask us for a please explain if another club catches on to it and whinges.

And even when they do turn up they make no noise , there is a group that stand on the concourse around bay 12 who get right into it, one well know media person is part of that group

I don't, who is the media person involved?

We will know when King is ready when he gets named.

On the crowd stuff, my five are becoming two because I need to work in Melbourne on Friday. All memberships and reserved seats already paid for however.

We had a Friday night in 2017 v GWS and we were going pretty well (not as good as now) and barely got 20k. I reckon the Docklands redevelopment also may keep a few more away (no good places inside to go and drink instead of sit in your seat).

I usually only go to 2 or 3 games a year.
These days, I prefer watching games from the comfort of my lounge room.
The beers and the food are reasonably priced and getting to my couch is a relatively quick trip.
I am however looking forward to getting a few more Saints players back at Sandy. Easy to get to for me and you don't have to donate an organ to pay for food and drink.

Training today - a few observations:

• relatively light run as expected - bit over an hour I think
  • lots of transitioning drills with 2 teams working the ball by hand & foot including a shot for goal at the end
  • very small ground drill focussing on hitting targets in congestion
  • goal kicking practice
  • King did some very light 1 on 1 contact work in the goal square plus a lot of repeat leads trying to fatigue him (worked with Caminiti)

At 1 stage BJ wasn’t happy with the quality of the drill and pulled them up.

Already posted my thoughts on King.

He would be in the same bracket as Steele.

Straight in.

You don’t let your unicorns run around with park footballers. Last time Ratten did that and the kid was on a good run of form we all thought he did another acl as someone tried to murder the kid

Apologies, replied before reading the rest of the thread as I knew I’d forget to when I got to the end!

It’s funny though, half a decade ago Billings would have been considered the unicorn. How times change.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Training today - a few observations:

• relatively light run as expected - bit over an hour I think
  • lots of transitioning drills with 2 teams working the ball by hand & foot including a shot for goal at the end
  • very small ground drill focussing on hitting targets in congestion
  • goal kicking practice
  • King did some very light 1 on 1 contact work in the goal square plus a lot of repeat leads trying to fatigue him (worked with Caminiti)

At 1 stage BJ wasn’t happy with the quality of the drill and pulled them up.
Happy with BJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back