Round One - Game of the Week - Brighton Grammar vs. Caulfield Grammar

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, you have no idea.

Tom Wills (Wentworth) went to England because his family did nufty.
Read the following....

It's tough being this good.

As a boy, Wills played Marn Grook, an Aboriginal game similar to modern football codes with members of a nearby tribe. At the age of fourteen he was sent to England to attend the famous Rugby School.

[edit] Cricket career

Tom Wills with the Aboriginal cricket team which toured England

On his return to Melbourne in 1856 at the age of twenty-one he became one of Victoria's best cricketers, representing the colony in intercolonial cricket matches against New South Wales, Queensland and Tasmania. He became a high-ranking member of the Melbourne Cricket Club, despite his convict heritage.[citation needed]
In 1861 Tom's father Horatio Wills emigrated north to Queensland where they took up a holding at Cullin-La-Ringo in the Nogoa region about two hundred miles from Rockhampton. They had only been on the holding for three weeks when they were attacked by a party of Aborigines who killed nineteen of the group, including Tom's father. Tom was away from the property at the time, having been sent to a neighbouring property, about two days ride away, for supplies.
In 1868, Wills coached the first Australian cricket team to tour England, which was entirely comprised of Indigenous Australians.

[edit] Football

During July 1858, Wills wrote a letter to Bell's Life, a Melbourne-based sporting publication, inviting anyone who might be interested to participate in a football match on the 31st of that month in Richmond, a suburb of Melbourne. The following week, Wills umpired the first ever organised Australian rules match between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar School on the land which is now home to the Melbourne Cricket Ground. A statue commemorating this event which features Tom Wills umpiring and two players from the match stands at the cricket club members entry of the MCG.

Did you read that last paragraph moron?

P.S - wonder why I know a bit about that guy?
Couldn't be related to him could I????

back to the point of this tread,
close game beacuse it is ment to be wet.....

caulfield in a close one...

10 points

we are also forgetting the fact that this is brightons 125 year, they will be pumped up

I don't see what that proved. It shows he went to the Rugby School AND played Marn Grook.
Posting wikipedia articles doesnt make you smart.
You did business management didn't you?

You get pumped up because your school is 125 years?

Hilarious.
I must positively get blind with intent because my people have been here about 50,000

"First ever organised" in itself is wrong. If it was infact correct, then that means that all games of Australian Football prior to that point only happened because there happened to be large masses of people coincidentally on the paddock at the same time? "First ever game to have relatively complete records of" would be a better description.

As for the origins of the game, where do you think it came from Davo?

Brighton won by 3 points. Were winning all game and caulfield kicked a goal with 30 seconds to go.

Then James North got the ball and had a snap and it went it with 5 seconds to go.

It was insane. THe best game ive ever seen if fotball

Brighton won by 3 points. Were winning all game and caulfield kicked a goal with 30 seconds to go.

Then James North got the ball and had a snap and it went it with 5 seconds to go.

It was insane. THe best game ive ever seen if fotball
Good summary, though I think the margin was one point.

Certainly insane watching 200 Brighton students charge onto the ground and mob their team at the end!!! It was like Grand Final celebrations!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ther is no doubt this will be the game of the week.... The atmosphere at the ground and support for both sides was outstanding. Brighton come out in the first term and wanted the ball more than Caulifield, simple as that. Although Brighton were held back by ther silly free kicks against they managed to controll play.

THe attack from Brighton was a constent in the game, Caulifield made some solid attacks through out the day but it came down to want and desire for the footy and Brighton won this part of the contest. Ther were many times it looked like a more rated and bigger Caulifield would overrun Brighton but they never gave in and got the reward for it!!!

A smaller Brighton took it up physically to Caulifield who almost seem intimidated by Brightons tackling and toughness. It was a game of hard running, with at least half of both teams cramping in the last term.

It was a well deserved win by Brighton, who played the game on its merit and not on repuations or talk.

caulfield were very disapointing. lacked run and carry but were really beaten by a more entusisatic and harder team. i think caulfield were out coached, with 2 men interchanging taging roles on sunberg and they always had a big man back, making life hard for yaman and krem. Good players for caulfield i thought were sunberg, who was tagged heavily but still managed to play hard football, and kept playing even after he could hardly keep his feet after being kneed in the head. Jordan stwert was very good along half back line with a great pair of hands and ziebel and sandilands were fantastic. as for the rest there wasnt any other stand outs really. broghton were a better team on the day with mor epassion, i reckon there were around 10 25 meter penalties. only highlight from the day for caulfield would have to be sunbergs goal. pretty amazing. what are others thoughts? sergent was very good

ther is no doubt this will be the game of the week.... The atmosphere at the ground and support for both sides was outstanding. Brighton come out in the first term and wanted the ball more than Caulifield, simple as that. Although Brighton were held back by ther silly free kicks against they managed to controll play.

THe attack from Brighton was a constent in the game, Caulifield made some solid attacks through out the day but it came down to want and desire for the footy and Brighton won this part of the contest. Ther were many times it looked like a more rated and bigger Caulifield would overrun Brighton but they never gave in and got the reward for it!!!

A smaller Brighton took it up physically to Caulifield who almost seem intimidated by Brightons tackling and toughness. It was a game of hard running, with at least half of both teams cramping in the last term.

It was a well deserved win by Brighton, who played the game on its merit and not on repuations or talk.
Very good report mate. Spot on. :thumbsu:

brighton played well but brought caulfield down to a horrorble skill level, it was hard, tough footy where brighton boys came off second best, caulfield pride themselves on there skill but brighton made them play there game, congrats to brighton but do not right caulfield off

Ditto what the other boys have said, BGS looked harder and seemed to ahve more desparation. As mentioned, Sandilands and Stewart were the standout performers for CGS. As for BGS, Watts was very good at CHF providing a good target. The pencil head in the ruck was also good taking a lot of strong grabs and Sargent obviously had a typical gut running game.

Also boys, couple of scouts down there today. Was sitting with a Hawthorn scout talking about Sandilands and Ziebell as well as seeing Stuey Maxfield who is now a scout for Syndey

Ditto what the other boys have said, BGS looked harder and seemed to ahve more desparation. As mentioned, Sandilands and Stewart were the standout performers for CGS. As for BGS, Watts was very good at CHF providing a good target. The pencil head in the ruck was also good taking a lot of strong grabs and Sargent obviously had a typical gut running game.

Also boys, couple of scouts down there today. Was sitting with a Hawthorn scout talking about Sandilands and Ziebell as well as seeing Stuey Maxfield who is now a scout for Syndey

I would say Sandilands was good but not great, he went to Watts and i would say didnt realy hav a major effect on his game. Janssen in the ruck (pencil head) was one of the hardest runners on the field, on countless occasions he ran back and filed the hole and was able to rebound out of defence. He is a incrediable mover of the ball at about 195cm, marks like a key position player but runs and crums like a rover.

I think the scouts would hav to be impressed with Watts. At almost 193 cm and only a yr 10, he has the body and maturity of a yr 12 player and will be a scary thought for oppisiton CHB in the future aswell as now.

Sargaent is the leader of the hardness and despiration shown by BGS on the field. He leads with his actions and racks in the TI's every week.

I haven't seen many games of schoolboys football,I'm a CGS boy and I have to say that was one of the most amazing and best games I've ever seen between two amateur sides. The skill level wasn't great but the determination, pressure and intensity was better than most AFL games these days. None of this bullshit chipping around, it was kick to a contest and hope for the best- risk taking. Credit to Brighton, their pressure and tackling was first-rate but with Gilchrist kicking the goal with around two minutes to go, we thought we had it won. Don't you worry, a real reality check for CGS and you won't see us drop another game any time soon.

caulfield were terrible and brighton were very good and didnt deserve to lose , A terrible game so dont think either side will be worry the good sides this year and brighton will do better than cgs, caulfield are to small they had no forwards .Cgs ruckman won everything and the cgs midfield were useless brighton beat them in the centre killed cgs forwards and the little guys were great .Bgs captain was good as was jack watts and the big guys down back . Sandilands was good the ruckman was good Ziebell good when he got it but looked very lazy didnt go and get the ball much himself didnt even try to make a contest or take a contested mark looks a reciever just hangs back and waits for it .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round One - Game of the Week - Brighton Grammar vs. Caulfield Grammar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back