Spain
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Athletic Club de Bilbao
Davey the exception to the rule
Angus Morgan
afl.com.au

For a player touted as a genuine prospect, it surprised many when young Port Melbourne forward Aaron Davey was overlooked in both the AFL National and Pre-season Drafts.

In fact, he made it all the way through to the Rookie Draft where Melbourne nabbed him with its first pick and number three overall.

Even then, the Demons must’ve queried why the VFL Rookie of the Year and member of the VFL Team of the Year, hadn’t gone earlier.

Melbourne assistant coach Mark Riley believes that Davey was left on the shelf because didn’t fit the popular mould of the hard-bodied, hard-hitting, hard-at-it types that Leigh Matthews has cultivated to such good effect in Brisbane.

“We wondered why he didn’t get picked up. He’s very exciting,” said Riley.

“But given the success of Brisbane, you know how these things go in trends and everyone’s looking for thick-bodied, heavy-arsed blokes. That’s the trend.”

For every trend, however, there’s an exception, and the Demons believe that Davey is exceptional.

He’s built along the lines of his cousin, the number two selection overall at the 2002 National AFL Draft, Daniel Wells, and plays a similar style of game.

And he’s hungry and keen to make it. He came to Port Melbourne from the Palmerston Magpies in the Northern Territory via the Port Adelaide Magpies believing that he had a better chance of being noticed in Melbourne.

“Picking up Davey as one of six rookies is hardly a punt, having a go at someone with his type of pace and leg skills. Our forward line last year lacked a bit of excitement.”

“He goes quick and he’s got good skills. He’s pretty light. We’ll see how he goes with Sandringham. He played very well for Port Melbourne last year. If we need a bit of electricity, he’s got it.”

Link: http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=130301

The one that got away.

Originally posted by tashibatts
Can someone tell me- am I wrong or am I right..

Aaron Davey is not a cousin of Wells- but a friend/cousin of Motlop?

I don't know about wells, but he is close friends with motlop and motlop was the one who talked him into coming to melbourne...

I remembered hearing on TV during one of the Port games that Davey was a cousin of the Motlops. Apparently, they were the ones to invite him down from NT to train with Port.

kitty :)

Regardless, he is the one that got away:(

Go Roos

I heard / read on a few occassions that JYD wasn't convinced that Davey fits in his gameplan citing comments that relate to wanting players who know how to get the ball themselves.
Just my perception that Davey is a reciever in the eyes of JYD.

And I'll make a bold prediction that in a few years time when Scotty Krakouer has a few seasons under his belt as a ROOBOY, we'll get Jimmy's son across from Tigerland. :)

Myles, and then Scott across from tigerland.. I think?!

Or maybe Scott a few years under his belt at tigerland- and then move to Arden St? :( I don't know :(

Go Roos

I think it's Andrew from Tigerland, isn't it?

I'm also in 2 minds about young Davey. His pace would be great but means nothing if he can't get the ball. There are so many forward pockets who burst on the scene for a year or two then disappear without a trace.

We'll see how he pans out down at the Dees beofre passing judgement.

Originally posted by 99GloryDayz
I think it's Andrew from Tigerland, isn't it?

I'm also in 2 minds about young Davey. His pace would be great but means nothing if he can't get the ball. There are so many forward pockets who burst on the scene for a year or two then disappear without a trace.

We'll see how he pans out down at the Dees beofre passing judgement.

Yup, the Dees have some of that ilk. I recall Les Bamblett and the other guy, young Jeffrey Farmer doing abit in a Demon jumper then there was Jakovich's younger upstart bro...all come n' gone in a flash. There has been too many for the Demons. Put Davey in as the next 'sensation' for the Deeeees supporters to flap on about. Maybe it's the cheesy barracking that finally turns these players away.;)

i was talking to daniel wells at the raffle day and davey is a distant cousin of the motlops and of daniel wells.

and he is first cousins with gavin wanganeen and fabian francis.

Originally posted by Woodson
Yup, the Dees have some of that ilk. I recall Les Bamblett and the other guy, young Jeffrey Farmer doing abit in a Demon jumper then there was Jakovich's younger upstart bro...all come n' gone in a flash. There has been too many for the Demons. Put Davey in as the next 'sensation' for the Deeeees supporters to flap on about. Maybe it's the cheesy barracking that finally turns these players away.;)

Yep it's a shame we're pre guernsey presentation, I think he's known as "The aboriginal lad" at this stage.

Anyway back to the Chardonnay for me, laters Rue's.

:D

Regardless, he is the one that got away:(

Go Roos

Yep. Although his form hasn't been great thus far this season. But to think S Harvey, Harding & Picioane would be better value is a touch disturbing IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davey seems to have a bit of front runner about him.

Yet to be seen when the Dees have strugles. He surely is a talent, but like so many relies on the team being up to make an impact.

Must agree though would have been a better pick up than Harvey or Piccone (I'm sure I've spelt it wrong).

We should have taken him. Absolutely no doubt. Stibbard got him down here, he trained with us and we should have taken the punt.

But he is quite a limited footballer and very overrated. But he should be an overrated North player.

We should have taken him. Absolutely no doubt. Stibbard got him down here, he trained with us and we should have taken the punt.

But he is quite a limited footballer and very overrated. But he should be an overrated North player.

No doubt he is overrated but some of the things he does are spectacular. The way he runs down opponents from behind, gets in crucial smothers, creates opportunities and kicks those freaky goals. I'd love to have him down at the Roos. Combined with Wells, Thomas and Campbell our midfield and small forwards would be one of the most exciting in the league.

Also what was the talk about Boomer leaving if they didn't pick up Shane?

If it were a decision between Boomer staying and acquiring Davey, I'd take Boomer staying in a flash.

If you're going to bump threads, why not one that has what people thought about the drafting decisions at the time? Hindsight is soooooo easy.

At the time, there were plenty of Port Melbourne watchers on here who were very disappointed we overlooked Davey in the draft, let alone the PSD too.

But you'd also have to remember that, at the time, whether Boomer put pressure on or not (he re-signed with us about that time), the younger Harvey was a recent first round draft pick who had been highly rated for his skills. He was known to have been trouble for Essendon, but he was busting his arse to get to Arden Street and it wasn't ridiculous to think that he would turn his attitude around at a club he wanted to play for, and with such a positive role model as his brother (and his brother's mates) close at hand.

Plus, it wasn't just Harvey instead of Davey. It was every pick that year (and no other year) instead of Davey.

It didn't work out, but that doesn't mean it was stupid. If we are going to bump threads about what decisions any club might have made differently with hindsight at each draft and trade week, we are going to waste an awful lot of time.

Geez, I'd better concentrate next time I read a bumped thread like this. I was scrolling down, whilst eating lunch, and saw an entry from tashibatts. I was about to enter a "Welcome back tashi" reply till I realised it was indeed a bumped thread.

On the thread topic..................I was spewin' we didn/couldn't pick up Davey. I chatted with him pre draft day, at the players' BBQ, and he was hoping like hell that we'd take him on full time, and hence give him the chance to play amongst family and best mates. His form slump earlier this year has done nothing to diminish my wish that we grabbed him at the time. The Dees have been going poorly (and are missing so many stars) and he's had little support, and every player has a down time now and then.

T'toes

I watched Davey plays almost every VFL game that year for Port Melbourne. I wrote that he was the fastest player I had seen after his first game and said we should hide him other recruters.

But he was (and still is, truth be told), very soft, one sided and unable to mark the footy. I thought that a rookie list spot would be a good idea or maybye a very late ND pick, but anything higher than pick 60 or so would be a bad decision. While he was flashy and reasonably successful in the VFL, his limitations were obvious and I thought that he would play some blinding AFL games, his career would be a very short one. I suppose AFL recruiters thought the same.

Shane Harvey was an immensly talented footballer. As much natural ability as his brother. Possibly more. But he was without doubt, the laziest, softest whinger I have seen play VFL/AFL footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rue Davey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back