RLWC '22 Rugby League World Cup 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Samoa having more Origin players then England probably helps them tbh.

How long will England and New Zealand accept Samoa and Tonga being a Tier 2 nation where players can double dip with origin and heritage. While there players can't.

It's a interesting discussion moving forward good for the game Samoa and Tonga finally getting there act together.

But I think the NRL and IRL need to sort out this eligibility mess.

Yeah, In 2019 Ronaldo Mulitalo played for Samoa but in 2022 he is playing for New Zealand. In between he was picked for Queensland in the State of Origin but was ruled ineligible at the last minute. He also played in an international 9s competition for the US. Of course Ronaldo is not the only one, the game is full of multi nationals. It seems if your grandmother once ate at an Italian restaurant you are eligible to play for Italy.

Agreed, eligibility is a mess and needs to be sorted.

Eligibility is pretty simple: Choose a country you're entitled to represent under the laws of the game and that's it. Origin should only be for players eligible for Australia. If that means you can't play for Tonga, Samoa, or Fiji then stiff shit.

If the World Cup has encouraged Samoan, Tongan, and Fijian players to play for their country, rather than Aus or NZ, then that is altogether a good thing for the game. Whether it's right that Tedesco, say, can play for Italy and then later choose to play for Australia, is another matter. I can understand why it's done in a way, it strengthens teams like Italy, who would be sunk without trace if they had to rely solely on home-grown players. How important, or fair, that is is up for debate. But it can no longer be said that international rugby league really only has three teams; those days, thankfully, have gone. The island nations need and deserve our support.

Heard about Victor Radley?

Apparently mouthy Bentley (biggest grub in SL) was abusing Shaun Wane at the hotel, and Radley nutted him! :D

A Wigan fan on one of our forums said, "Radley has gone up massively in my estimation!" :D

But he'll serve some time for that, surely?

If the World Cup has encouraged Samoan, Tongan, and Fijian players to play for their country, rather than Aus or NZ, then that is altogether a good thing for the game. Whether it's right that Tedesco, say, can play for Italy and then later choose to play for Australia, is another matter. I can understand why it's done in a way, it strengthens teams like Italy, who would be sunk without trace if they had to rely solely on home-grown players. How important, or fair, that is is up for debate. But it can no longer be said that international rugby league really only has three teams; those days, thankfully, have gone. The island nations need and deserve our support.
Definitely a complex issue.

Personally i dont have a problem with it. I look at a Mitch Moses and hes probably never gonna play rep footy for state or country but hes far too good not to play elsewhere.

Then you consider like a Reece Walsh type who might well wind up playing fullback for Aus but not while Teddy is still going around.

If it promotes better competition then it cant really be a bad thing. I can understand the argument of "cant play state of origin then go play for Samoa" but i also think that diminishes the likelihood of seeing the best players roll out for those games.

Let em play for whoever they like.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. And it often strikes me in World Cups, when you see star players playing for weak international teams, it says a lot for them if they really stand up. I thought Moses did for Lebanon, and reminded me of Danny Brough for Scotland in the past.

Two Australian refs for the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the international teams grow and provide greater competitiveness to AUS/NZ/ENG I think they need to be stricter on eligibility. Once you play a senior official international match for a country, that is your country on the international stage.
So, as an example, if an islander kid who grew up in NSW and plays fullback wants to play for Aus he shouldn’t be allowed to play for his ancestral home until Tedesco retires? I’ve used Mitch Moses as the example before but say Cleary is injured Moses shouldn’t be allowed to play for Oz as he’s already played for Lebanon?

I think that’s more likely to weaken the second tier than strengthen it.

So, as an example, if an islander kid who grew up in NSW and plays fullback wants to play for Aus he shouldn’t be allowed to play for his ancestral home until Tedesco retires? I’ve used Mitch Moses as the example before but say Cleary is injured Moses shouldn’t be allowed to play for Oz as he’s already played for Lebanon?

I think that’s more likely to weaken the second tier than strengthen it.
Personally I just think it cheapens the international credibility when you play for multiple countries, that might just be me though, but unlike club allegiance which can change, I like picking one nation to represent. Otherwise you may eventually run into situations of this player was born in NZ, grew up in Australia, with an English father and Italian mother, and represents 4 different international RL teams. Extreme example, but not impossible.

One thing nrl has over afl is international game even if it's not a big one. There are parades in Melbourne Brisbane Perth Sydney Auckland Apia of Samoan fans in their thousands.

Remove this Banner Ad

RLWC '22 Rugby League World Cup 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back