Rumors: Bock, Kerr, Mcguire

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like Goose, as said, as he offers a potential CHF role even if Williams is fit and will not cost too much. CHB is overrated in my opinion and even one of the best in the league is not worth a quality mid like Griffen.

Last years Top 4
Geelong: No Egan
Hawthorn: No Croad in GF, hurting this year but thats due to other injured players aswell
Dogs: Williams injured for finals series
Saints: Maguire would have been preferred CHB last year and regularly injured.

While I agree a player like Griffen wouldn't be one we wanted to lose, I don't think CHB is an overated position (just aks the Eagles and Bulldogs when Jako and Grant were dominating those positions in the mid to late 90's).

Because of the position we are in, to get a gun KPP we have to give up something good. But we can't afford to, so we will just make do with what we have until our younger options develop - hopefully!

While I agree a player like Griffen wouldn't be one we wanted to lose, I don't think CHB is an overated position (just aks the Eagles and Bulldogs when Jako and Grant were dominating those positions in the mid to late 90's).
Football is not nearly played in the same way IMO.

It isn't you're right.

But, the CHB has turned into one of two key defenders, three if a teams lucky. Both are equally as important to a teams struture.

It isn't you're right.

But, the CHB has turned into one of two key defenders, three if a teams lucky. Both are equally as important to a teams struture.
Yeah you're right in saying that, basically my contention I suppose is that in the modern game teams are not as heavily reliant on a true CHB player. With zoning and lose men everywhere teams are more ready to negate the CHF in other ways and that in the league at the moment I'd probably chose a Top 20 midfielder over a Top 2 or 3 CHB.

Firstly, I wouldn't be trading away Griffen, I think he's vital to our midfield. And his best is still to come.

The forward that dare not speaks its name.

Barry Hall.

LOL

Yes, but

1) He is too old. We would only get one year out him, if that.

2)To say he has self control issues is the understatement of the week. He would be a massive risk as far as being suspended and being a distraction.

If he was 25 years old, I would be interested. :)

Yes, but

2)To say he has self control issues is the understatement of the week. He would be a massive risk as far as being suspended and being a distraction.

1) 1 year is all you need. Sydney most likely to offload him so it'd be a virtually free pickup. You can't buy premiereships but we're right in the zone with our current list at the moment. Big bad for a year may just get us over the line (if we don't get over the line this year that is) Definitely wouldn't want him any longer than that.

2) No disagreements on this point. But it might be worth a punt.

Yes, but

Absolutely stupid to not draft him for 1 year if availbale..
Apart from his stupidity, he is nearly having his best year goals-games wise..
Our current list is a miss timed one where if we dont win in the next two years, whilst i beleive in our young kids, you are going to lose;
Johnno
aker
eagle
hudson
welsh
All of which I would say would go next year, so leaves a gaping hole
1 year of barry, aker and johnno left and all of a sudden premiership window!

Gives roughhead, grant, cordy, jones one more year to develop and step into the fold full time the following year, as well as upcoming mids to continue to develop and be 23-25 when the need to make consistent large contributions re: johnno and aker..

I think Rocket said a few days ago that we wouldn't be interested.

If you were interested, there would have to be conditions.

1)He wants to play with us and is committed.

2)He doesn't want much money. Our salary cap is under pressure as it is, we cannot afford to be paying for another highly paid recruit.

3)He has to sort through his anger management or ability to handle frustration issues. You cannot have a player that is a loose cannon on the field. He has to be in complete control with what he is doing. The club would want to see some evidence of his problem with this issue being fixed.

4)We would have to let go at least one, possibly 2 or 3, 30 year old or over players. We have the second most number of 30 years old in the list. We are an ageing list that needs to introduce youth, not additional old guys. If you recruited Hall, you would need to let go of Welsh and either Johnno or Aker. Regardless of who you keep, you still need to get games into Grant next year. He is our future. We cannot keep letting him sit in the VFL, he needs games into him ASAP.

I think Rocket said a few days ago that we wouldn't be interested.

If you were interested, there would have to be conditions.

1)He wants to play with us and is committed.

2)He doesn't want much money. Our salary cap is under pressure as it is, we cannot afford to be paying for another highly paid recruit.

3)He has to sort through his anger management or ability to handle frustration issues. You cannot have a player that is a loose cannon on the field. He has to be in complete control with what he is doing. The club would want to see some evidence of his problem with this issue being fixed.

4)We would have to let go at least one, possibly 2 or 3, 30 year old or over players. We have the second most number of 30 years old in the list. We are an ageing list that needs to introduce youth, not additional old guys. If you recruited Hall, you would need to let go of Welsh and either Johnno or Aker. Regardless of who you keep, you still need to get games into Grant next year. He is our future. We cannot keep letting him sit in the VFL, he needs games into him ASAP.

Points 1, 2 and 3 go without saying. 3 in particular is the gamble you take.

Your 4th point is kind of irrelevant because we're only looking at Hall for a one year deal. After which he'd be out the door anyways. Irrespective of whether Hall had disciplinary issues this year, I would've thought next year would've definitely been his last anyways, even if he was on his best behaviour at the Swans.

Royale, you and Rocco are slightly(ever so slightly) starting to tempt me with big, bad, bustling.

I still think it will be too big a risk, and there are so many if's(salary, how do we get him, attitude etc). Plus if we did accomodate him, we would have to clear out a couple of the 30 year old's. It woulddn't be good going into next season with 6-7 30 year old and over's. That is terrible.

Royale, I will leave you in charge of doing a due diligence on Barry's mental state. If we end up getting him, and he does his nut in one game and king hits some player and gets 25 weeks, then you owe me a nice bottle of red. :D

Just to add fuel to the fire....

Barry Hall possilbly leaving Swans immediately, but still wants to play..
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25726835-19742,00.html

I'd certainly trust Eade's judgement about Hall. Eade and Fantasia are well qualified to assess:
  1. an appropriate price we should pay to get Hall (probably very little, if anything)
  2. a performance based contract similar to the one Cousins is rumoured to have
  3. a exit strategy should Hall explode, or in one or two years when Hall retires.
If Hall ticks all of Eades' boxes and really wants to play footy, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we would be a better side in finals with Hall in our forward line. Hall is still a very good power forward and they are gold.

The number of 30+ y.o. players is not going to be exascerbated much by the acquisition of Hall - he would be seen as a short-term option to play a specific role. We would only suffer if he kept a young player off our list who subsequently went on to another club and became a gun - small risk compared to the upside from a motivated Barry Hall lurking in the Dogs' forward line for a year or two.

If Eade wants him I'm all for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Royale, I will leave you in charge of doing a due diligence on Barry's mental state. If we end up getting him, and he does his nut in one game and king hits some player and gets 25 weeks, then you owe me a nice bottle of red. :D

To be honest i think Barry has gone soft in Sydney. It's just the city itself with its harbours and mardigras and stuff. Not an ideal place for someone who's predisposed with an aggressive nature, hence getting punchy on the field.

Move him to Footscray and the western suburbs and his temprement will change.

Did rocket coach Hall at Sydney also or was that after his time?

If Hall ticks all of Eades' boxes and really wants to play footy, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we would be a better side in finals with Hall in our forward line. Hall is still a very good power forward and they are gold.

Yeah agree. 99.99% of the time I wouldn't look at trading players from other clubs. I am strongly opposed to it, especially over 30 year olds. The one exception would be a quality power forward.

The number of 30+ y.o. players is not going to be exascerbated much by the acquisition of Hall - he would be seen as a short-term option to play a specific role
Yes, but it is not good for a team to have a whole heap of over 30's. If we took Hall, we would need to drop at least one off, probably 2-3. Remember that we need to give Grant games next year. He is our future key forward so his development is a huge priority. If we had Hall,and we played Grant, we would have to drop a couple out of the forward line eg Welsh, Hahn etc.
As said in another post, it depends upon their finals performance. If we struggle in the finals again because of lack of forward structure, you would imagine that there would be some serious structural changes next year. They can't continually keep going with the same midget forward line and getting smashed in finals.

Did rocket coach Hall at Sydney also or was that after his time?

I am pretty certain he did. Didn't big bad bustling move from St Kilda to Sydney at the same time that plugger made his infamous comeback? Rocket was coaching then. Not sure if that was the year he got the sack though and walked halfway through, so he might not have coached him for many games.

I think Paul Roos summed it up perfectly.... "I really don't think Barry wants to play football any more".

I can be tempted by a good aged wine, a beautiful woman, a classic car,,.... but i will not be tempted by a perceived short term gain by an attempt to get Barry to the kennel. A couple of years ago, a risk perhaps worth taking.... but that was then...this is now.

hooroo....

Wow this thread is ridiculous.

Firstly, there has been zero talk or speculation or rumour that Bock wants a trade?? One of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

Secondly, all you people scoffing at suggestions Griffen for Bock is not a fair trade. Damn right it's not a fair trade. He is our rock in defence, was one of the few players who could stop Lance Franklin at his absolute peak. Not only that but can create so much going forward time and time again and an amazingly consistent basis. He is the best CHB in the league and commands a KP.

And you guys are stating that you would not give up Griffen for him?

Please :rolleyes:

Firstly, there has been zero talk or speculation or rumour that Bock wants a trade?? One of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

Secondly, all you people scoffing at suggestions Griffen for Bock is not a fair trade. Damn right it's not a fair trade. He is our rock in defence, was one of the few players who could stop Lance Franklin at his absolute peak. Not only that but can create so much going forward time and time again and an amazingly consistent basis. He is the best CHB in the league and commands a KP.

Cool your jets rocket man.

It's just a rumour thread.

And no, I would'nt give up griffen for bock.

And you wouldn't give up bock for griffen.

See what I did there?

I wouldn't give up Griff for Bock. That would just create another problem for us, where one important area of the ground (arguably the most important) is weakened for the sake of strengthening another. Can't speak for other posters but that is what I meant.

Bock is a gun, and a better player than Griffen at the moment. Who knows in two years time though.

If we lose two of Welsh, Aka and Eagle, and if he is available I would like the club to look at Barry Hall.

A one year deal wouldn't put us back too far if he did lose the plot, but I have a feeling if he was to move clubs he would be a fair chance of pulling his head in.

Ok, glad we have that sorted :D

We started with Bock, Kerr and Mcguire but have sinced moved on to Barry Hall. Next week we will look at someone else, maybe Pavlich and the next week someone else. It is the nature of these types of threads. They are basically "What if " threads. What if so and so became available, would you be interested? Very few of them ever eventuate, its just good brain exercise to ponder it.

So, nothing to worry about down in Westlakes :)

Yep, but there hasn't been quality power forwards available that we could trade for. Well none that I can think of anyway. The point I was making was it is pointless to throw away draft choices on players that you don't really need, just because they are available.

BTW, is your username based upon the shape or the novel?

User name based on the shape and my fascination with it.

If we lose two of Welsh, Aka and Eagle, and if he is available I would like the club to look at Barry Hall.

A one year deal wouldn't put us back too far if he did lose the plot, but I have a feeling if he was to move clubs he would be a fair chance of pulling his head in.

I also hear that Allan Jakovich is available next year...............haven't we learnt yet about overrated forwards from other clubs yet. The guy is protected while playing for the Swines as for previous years he's been the public face and money draw card for the Swines and such protected by the AFL. If any other player from another club had done what Hall has done over his time at the Swines he would be on a life time suspension, but while playing for them the AFL need all the draw cards playing to try and get the bandwagon Sh*tney set in to watch games. At another club he loses that protection, plus he's just plain past it.

If Hall goes from the Swines next year all the other AFL clubs had better watch out as the AFL will be throwing the money around to try and get some big name players up here to try and get some interest in the game so try and save some of their financial losses.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumors: Bock, Kerr, Mcguire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back