Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Completing my first marathon this Sunday in Sydney, very excited! Have been training with a few mates since late last year and completed 4 runs over 25km (largest was 40 about a month ago). Probably a dozen runs between 10-20km (most common distance is 10km).

Pretty hopeful that I can go sub 4 hours, the major lesson learnt from the 40km run was going out about 30sec/km too hard over the first 20 (~5min/km), which cooked me by the 27-28km mark. Had to walk a few kms and then ran the last few at a much slower pace (ended up a bit over 4hrs).

Planning to get up a bit before 5am (race time 630ish) and try keep my normal morning routine as much as possible (coffee and a couple of muesli bars). I'm staying only a few minutes from the start line so I can maximise the amount of time at the apartment (especially knowing how busy toilets will be at the start line!).

Completing my first marathon this Sunday in Sydney, very excited! Have been training with a few mates since late last year and completed 4 runs over 25km (largest was 40 about a month ago). Probably a dozen runs between 10-20km (most common distance is 10km).

Pretty hopeful that I can go sub 4 hours, the major lesson learnt from the 40km run was going out about 30sec/km too hard over the first 20 (~5min/km), which cooked me by the 27-28km mark. Had to walk a few kms and then ran the last few at a much slower pace (ended up a bit over 4hrs).

Planning to get up a bit before 5am (race time 630ish) and try keep my normal morning routine as much as possible (coffee and a couple of muesli bars). I'm staying only a few minutes from the start line so I can maximise the amount of time at the apartment (especially knowing how busy toilets will be at the start line!).

Good luck! Great plan to book the room to have a nearby toilet 👌

Good luck! Great plan to book the room to have a nearby toilet 👌
Thanks! Unfortunately, I think my AirBnB host has scammed me and said ‘apartment flooded due to a burst pipe, so you can’t stay there, but here’s another location 20min away’. Saw a review from someone a month ago with the same issue from this host, absolutely no doubt wanting to take advantage of the jacked up prices near the start line (hotel rooms going for 5-6 times normal price).

Will definitely lodge a complaint with Airbnb when I get home, but just need a place to stay for now!

Thanks! Unfortunately, I think my AirBnB host has scammed me and said ‘apartment flooded due to a burst pipe, so you can’t stay there, but here’s another location 20min away’. Saw a review from someone a month ago with the same issue from this host, absolutely no doubt wanting to take advantage of the jacked up prices near the start line (hotel rooms going for 5-6 times normal price).

Will definitely lodge a complaint with Airbnb when I get home, but just need a place to stay for now!

I’ve run Sydney before I reckon you better to stay near finish in the rocks or somewhere. Easy to get across bridge to start line from there (10 min jog or 20 min walk) and then nice and close walk home afterwards from circular quay. Anyway, good luck! I’m 2 weeks out from Berlin, things were going great but have had a poor last couple weeks, a bit of life getting in the way as well as some flu. Have managed to get all my long runs done but missed a few speed and base sessions, so of course this close out the doubts start to creep in. Have a 23k progression run tomorrow which will be last decent length hit out - am doing 13k progression and then tacking on the Sri Chinmoy 10k race at the end of it. If I can have a good run there the mind/doubts should hopefully settle a bit and look to just try and really nail the 2 week taper. Then I come back to Aus and have the melb half booked (which I would just run as a pretty easy training run), followed by New York marathon 3 weeks after that. Big couple of months coming up!

I’ve run Sydney before I reckon you better to stay near finish in the rocks or somewhere. Easy to get across bridge to start line from there (10 min jog or 20 min walk) and then nice and close walk home afterwards from circular quay. Anyway, good luck! I’m 2 weeks out from Berlin, things were going great but have had a poor last couple weeks, a bit of life getting in the way as well as some flu. Have managed to get all my long runs done but missed a few speed and base sessions, so of course this close out the doubts start to creep in. Have a 23k progression run tomorrow which will be last decent length hit out - am doing 13k progression and then tacking on the Sri Chinmoy 10k race at the end of it. If I can have a good run there the mind/doubts should hopefully settle a bit and look to just try and really nail the 2 week taper. Then I come back to Aus and have the melb half booked (which I would just run as a pretty easy training run), followed by New York marathon 3 weeks after that. Big couple of months coming up!

Good luck, Gents. Look forward to hearing how you both go.

Got through the marathon… just!

As I did in my training runs, went out very well for the first 25km and was well on track for sub 4 hours. After that, it was a battle.

The right calf just suddenly seized up, heart rate and rest of the body was fine. It then seemed to subside by the 30km mark and if I could just hold 6min pace I would easily get under 4 hours. Unfortunately, it flared up even worse at between 37-38km and I honestly started getting very emotional from a combination of the severe pain and thinking I may not even finish! Thankfully, the last 1.5km was downhill and I shuffled my way to the finish line.

The hills were brutal and it was very hard to get any consistency in the run. I’ve realised that 10km runs up to half marathons are ok (23min 5km, 48min 10km, 1:49 half mara), but I just don’t have enough conditioning in my legs for marathons. I’m very content this will be a one and done for me, but still very happy I did it!

Last edited:
Oh, and they really need to fix the post race area next year. Once you finish the marathon, there is absolutely no time to soak in the Opera House as you are quickly moved along into the 'recovery zone'. This is a 500m journey on a narrow path with 100s of other people and you better not try lie down on the grass here as it'll make the officials very angry!

Once this 500m journey is done, there is yet again another massive hill to get up to the massage area, just what everyone wants after running a marathon on countless hills :huh:

Oh, and they really need to fix the post race area next year. Once you finish the marathon, there is absolutely no time to soak in the Opera House as you are quickly moved along into the 'recovery zone'. This is a 500m journey on a narrow path with 100s of other people and you better not try lie down on the grass here as it'll make the officials very angry!

Once this 500m journey is done, there is yet again another massive hill to get up to the massage area, just what everyone wants after running a marathon on countless hills :huh:

I remember after Melbourne last year they were trying to hurry on a girl who'd just finished the marathon and was bent over dry heaving. The officials are brutal.

I remember after Melbourne last year they were trying to hurry on a girl who'd just finished the marathon and was bent over dry heaving. The officials are brutal.
Absolutely ridiculous! The majority of people finishing this have put every ounce of energy they had just to get over the finish line, how can you expect them to then just walk another 500m flat and 200m up a hill to exit the marathon?!

The way I see it, you ran 43km, so you completed an Ultramarathon! 😂

Seriously though, congrats for gutsing it out. You will be a better runner and person for the experience.

The way I see it, you ran 43km, so you completed an Ultramarathon! 😂

Seriously though, congrats for gutsing it out. You will be a better runner and person for the experience.
Thanks, it took a lot of willpower to keep myself going!

Haha, well my Apple Watch tracked 42.88km, which makes sense given how much weaving in and out of people was required, so technically yes I ran an ultra 😁

I have enjoyed running more, but will keep the focus on 5km up to half marathons (Parkruns, City to Bay etc).

Absolutely ridiculous! The majority of people finishing this have put every ounce of energy they had just to get over the finish line, how can you expect them to then just walk another 500m flat and 200m up a hill to exit the marathon?!

Unfortunately all majors are like this, they are massive events and have to follow international security protocols etc. New York feels like a good 30 minute walk to even get out of Central Park and then another 30 to leave the secure area; it’s pretty brutal. Congrats on finishing, great effort! I hear you say one and done, see how you feel in a few days. I say ‘thats it’ after every one and am coming up for #9 and # 10 in the next two months..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say the folks at the City-Bay dropped the ball big time. Worst organisation of a race anywhere in Australia.

• Shuttle Bus for Half Marathon start at 6AM only left the CBD at 5:15 and arrived with 25 minutes to start time
  • No signage to signify bag drop area (and for those doing the 12km many of their bags arrived there AFTER they had finished the run, as in their bag wasn't there when they crossed the finish line)
  • No half marathon finishers medals for those finishing slower than 2:20 (apparently ran out, have E-Mailed TWICE and FB Messaged once without any response so far so not hopeful)
  • Timing issues for those doing the 12km
  • Start pen issues for those doing the 12km (many lined up behind the walkers, and seemingly not by choice)

Better off trying to get into Sydney next year. Ran 2:23, on track for the 2:20 I was aiming at until the last 2km. Onto Melbourne we go in 3 weeks, then Singapore later on this year.

so, a week out from berlin mara, after 18 weeks of uninterrupted and injury free training suddenly my right glute has seized up after my last hard effort last Sunday. have barely been able to run in the week since, and it doesn't seem to be clearing like i'd expected/hoped. booked in for some dry needling tomorrow which is my last minute hail mary to get me back on track for the run. dry needling has saved me in similar situations before so i really hope it can sort out this tightness/pain because otherwise i'm in for a very brutal sunday. pulling out is not an option, there's no deferment for Berlin and i've come too far (and spend too much $$) so whatever happens i have to find a way to cover those 42kms. so flipping frustrating b/c my training was going so well, in shape to PR (PR'd both half mara time and 5k time during the training period).

Last edited:
so, a week out from berlin mara, after 18 weeks of uninterrupted and injury free training suddenly my right glute has seized up after my last hard effort last Sunday. have barely been able to run in the week since, and it doesn't seem to be clearing like i'd expected/hoped. booked in for some dry needling tomorrow which is my last minute hail mary to get me back on track for the run. dry needling has saved me in similar situations before so i really hope it can sort out this tightness/pain because otherwise i'm in for a very brutal sunday. pulling out is not an option, there's no deferment for Berlin and i've come too far (and spend too much $$) so whatever happens i have to find a way to cover those 42kms. so flipping frustrating b/c my training was going so well, in shape to PR (PR'd both half mara time and 5k time during the training period).

That’s rough.

It sucks going into a marathon with an injury. It zaps your excitement and puts doubts in your mind.

But you need to tell yourself that you have done all the work and are ready, you just need to get the glute in a state that you can pull through.

I ran a marathon last year with a minor knee problem, which put me out of running for 2 months afterwards. I’m glad I went through with it, as I had done all the work and it was my debut marathon.

Every injury is different though. You will need to make a judgement call on the day. Finishing may be the only goal!

Good luck. Hope it comes good. Let us know how you get on.

Ah that is such a shame. Best of luck with it, here's hoping the dry needling does the job!

sheesh that is rough, i have everything crossed for you that the needling releases it all!

ok, so brutal day in Berlin for me. I was in deep trouble for past two weeks with the glute/hip and sciatica pain. was super anxious before the start, more so than before any marathon ive ever run (this was #9 for me). in hindsight I guess it was because I knew deep down I wasn't quite right and it was going to be a hard day for me.

first half (in fact up to 24k) was on pace (trying/had trained for 3.45ish) - there was discomfort from the start but I was kinda hoping it would just go away. unfortunately go away it did not, and between 24-28 my pace started dropping until at 28 the sciatica pain was so much I had to start walking. I was trying every 200-300 meters to run/jog again but literally couldn't get past a few steps before my lower back/nerve pain was too intense.

conscious that I have NYCM in 5 weeks to consider, and that my goal time was out the window, I basically pulled the pin and resigned myself to walking the final 12kms. it was a very humbling experience walking on the side of the road with those amazing crowds being so lovely yelling my name trying to encourage me to run (name on the bib) but literally not being able to even jog. ive never walked any significant distance in any marathon ive run before, so this was a new and humbling experience.

so I just smiled lots, high fived the kids, accepted my lot, and put my head down to try to walk to the finish. at some point I got some painkillers off the medics and remarkably at around 37kms when I tried to jog I found the nerve pain had dissipated (leg was still tight as hell) but I could run again. ran the final 5kms, and funnily enough, given that I had walked for the best part of 7-8kms I felt fresh as a daisy and was passing everyone on the way through the Brandenburg Gate. finished in 4.30ish. at the 30k mark when I could barely hobble, I was resigned to possibly a 5 hour plus time, so I'll take this.

my training block was better than I've ever had, and yet I ended up with by far my slowest marathon. its a mugs game these marathon things, I tell you. so ****ing hard. amazing experience though, Berlin was so beautiful, the crowds were so awesome and way bigger than I expected, and despite the pain and the punch in the face/my ego, I'm very happy I stuck it out and super proud I didn't quit, which crossed my mind many times (there were so many subways I walked past).

New York in 5 weeks? bit hard to imagine right now today, will need some physio/medical (maybe psychological?) advice I guess, but I'm not giving up. what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, eh lads?

Last edited:
ok, so brutal day in Berlin for me. I was in deep trouble for past two weeks with the glute/hip and sciatica pain. was super anxious before the start, more so than before any marathon ive ever run (this was #9 for me). in hindsight I guess it was because I knew deep down I wasn't quite right and it was going to be a hard day for me.

first half (in fact up to 24k) was on pace (trying/had trained for 3.45ish) - there was discomfort from the start but I was kinda hoping it would just go away. unfortunately go away it did not, and between 24-28 my pace started dropping until at 28 the sciatica pain was so much I had to start walking. I was trying every 200-300 meters to run/jog again but literally couldn't get past a few steps before my lower back/nerve pain was too intense.

conscious that I have NYCM in 5 weeks to consider, and that my goal time was out the window, I basically pulled the pin and resigned myself to walking the final 12kms. it was a very humbling experience walking on the side of the road with those amazing crowds being so lovely yelling my name trying to encourage me to run (name on the bib) but literally not being able to even jog. ive never walked any significant distance in any marathon ive run before, so this was a new and humbling experience.

so I just smiled lots, high fived the kids, accepted my lot, and put my head down to try to walk to the finish. at some point I got some painkillers off the medics and remarkably at around 37kms when I tried to jog I found the nerve pain had dissipated (leg was still tight as hell) but I could run again. ran the final 5kms, and funnily enough, given that I had walked for the best part of 7-8kms I felt fresh as a daisy and was passing everyone on the way through the Brandenburg Gate. finished in 4.30ish. at the 30k mark when I could barely hobble, I was resigned to possibly a 5 hour plus time, so I'll take this.

my training block was better than I've ever had, and yet I ended up with by far my slowest marathon. its a mugs game these marathon things, I tell you. so ****ing hard. amazing experience though, Berlin was so beautiful, the crowds were so awesome and way bigger than I expected, and despite the pain and the punch in the face/my ego, I'm very happy I stuck it out and super proud I didn't quit, which crossed my mind many times (there were so many subways I walked past).

New York in 5 weeks? bit hard to imagine right now today, will need some physio/medical (maybe psychological?) advice I guess, but I'm not giving up. what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, eh lads?

That’s courageous mate. You showed a lot of guts sticking it out. A lot of people would have quit. You didn’t.

Whilst time goals and PBs are nice, it’s not really what running is about. It’s about being out there and enjoying yourself and finishing what you set out to do.

You will be a better runner for the experience and should take a lot of confidence away from it.

Hope you pull up okay and make it to NYC.

Rough day, but congrats for getting out there and finishing one of the majors would still have been an amazing experience.

Shattered to hear you didn't get the result you were after but geeze it is inspiring to hear how you stuck it out to be honest, many wouldn't have. Just getting it down is brilliant all things considered and well done

No good mate. This shit definitely makes us stronger.

Have you had issues with the sciatic, nerve pain before? I might DM you. I've been struggling with it for months now. Given Melbourne mara the flick. Had MRI and cortisone jabs at Olympic Park a week ago but doesn't seem to have improved.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
No good mate. This shit definitely makes us stronger.

Have you had issues with the sciatic, nerve pain before? I might DM you. I've been struggling with it for months now. Given Melbourne mara the flick. Had MRI and cortisone jabs at Olympic Park a week ago but doesn't seem to have improved.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

hey mate, no ive never had sciatic issues before in my life. so frustrating. would love to hear more of your experiences and any suggestions. I tried my first post mara run this morning, very very easy, and it flared up after 2kms, so now am stressing about nyc. will see physio etc when I get back next week but would love to hear more of your experiences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back