Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

hey mate, no ive never had sciatic issues before in my life. so frustrating. would love to hear more of your experiences and any suggestions. I tried my first post mara run this morning, very very easy, and it flared up after 2kms, so now am stressing about nyc. will see physio etc when I get back next week but would love to hear more of your experiences.
DM'd you

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last long run (22k) before the Melb Mara today!

This taper has been great - legs feeling a lot more fresh, and mind is feeling good too. First marathon and feeling in good nick to target sub-3:30 :D

But also very keen to be able to just run for fun again especially with the weather improving now. Keen to just go "wow the weather's great, I'm going to go for a run" instead of having to consult my training plan and see how it fits.

This taper has been great - legs feeling a lot more fresh, and mind is feeling good too. First marathon and feeling in good nick to target sub-3:30 :D

But also very keen to be able to just run for fun again especially with the weather improving now. Keen to just go "wow the weather's great, I'm going to go for a run" instead of having to consult my training plan and see how it fits.
What shoe are you wearing?

Also targeting 3:30 but I feel I might be slightly off.

What shoe are you wearing?

Also targeting 3:30 but I feel I might be slightly off.
Add another to the 3:30 crew

Had my last longer run today doing 14k, feeling good, no niggles.. Have had a really good prep I think and don't a lot of targeted pace stuff so see what happens.

No idea how it's going to feel sitting at that pace for that long but my half Mara PB is well under that pace (albeit a while ago) so just going to trust the process and work I've done.

Kit all ready, food planned, gels sorted.. And just a couple of runs this week, one with some race pace stuff just to turn the legs over a bit

I'm ready

I think

I wish I could say the same.

I also did my last long run today (22km) but felt real flat. I had a couple of glasses of red last night, maybe that was it or all the kms this year (1920) have caught up with me. Motivation was way down so perhaps it’s all in the head. Not sure…

Hoping to beat 4hrs but it’s going to be touch and go.

Good luck everyone. Look forward to hearing your experiences afterwards.

Had my last longer run today doing 14k, feeling good, no niggles.. Have had a really good prep I think and don't a lot of targeted pace stuff so see what happens.

No idea how it's going to feel sitting at that pace for that long but my half Mara PB is well under that pace (albeit a while ago) so just going to trust the process and work I've done.

Kit all ready, food planned, gels sorted.. And just a couple of runs this week, one with some race pace stuff just to turn the legs over a bit

I'm ready

I think
Great stuff, glad it's all coming together! Yeah I'm trusting the training and race-day adrenaline to get me over the line at that pace.

I wish I could say the same.

I also did my last long run today (22km) but felt real flat. I had a couple of glasses of red last night, maybe that was it or all the kms this year (1920) have caught up with me. Motivation was way down so perhaps it’s all in the head. Not sure…

Hoping to beat 4hrs but it’s going to be touch and go.

Good luck everyone. Look forward to hearing your experiences afterwards.
Good luck to you too, hope you feel refreshed with this upcoming week!

-

Went op shopping yesterday and found a couple pairs of running shorts (which I love because shorts are way too expensive when new haha). Including a pair of nike dry-fits which I just measured and have a 2-inch in-seam. Definitely my shortest pair of shorts haha, keen to bring them out for some speed sessions or over summer.

Simple target for me this Sunday, look for 6:40/km which should get me about 4:40 and qualified for South Africa next year. Strava suggests I'll make the finish in 4:47.....Then recover for the next one in 7 weeks in Singapore which in theory can get me on the start line for Age Group Worlds next year if I run 2 hours quicker!

I'm ready

I think
Well this didn't go as well as planned. Changed tact early in the week with the aim to go with the 3:40 pacers and then try finish strong.. Training had been good, good sleep all week, carb load good, hydration good. Got to 27k with the pace group then just dropped off the back slightly when I got a drink (I was walking through the drink stations to make sure I got all the water in knowing it was warm) and I just couldn't get back on as easy.. Then by 32ish Ks I was basically in survival mode from there. It got really hard on me really quick. Started feeling desperate for the next drink station and then from that on had to start having some little walking breaks, pace when I ran was still OK but it was hard yards and I was getting hot.
And then I started to feel like I might vomit, tactically decided to walk the inclines, decided against my last gel and the last drink tables I ignored apart from a cup of water over my head. Just did what I had to do to get finished.

After all that I still got a 6 and a half min PB coming in at 3:51...so it's a bit bittersweat, PB is a good think but I feel I was in so much better shape that it's a waste.

Since being home I've been hot and cold and my head is pounding so the sun and wind definitely cooked me.. Could have been much worse I suppose.

Marathon 2 in the bag... Not sure I'm in any rush to think about if there will be a 3rd

Well this didn't go as well as planned. Changed tact early in the week with the aim to go with the 3:40 pacers and then try finish strong.. Training had been good, good sleep all week, carb load good, hydration good. Got to 27k with the pace group then just dropped off the back slightly when I got a drink (I was walking through the drink stations to make sure I got all the water in knowing it was warm) and I just couldn't get back on as easy.. Then by 32ish Ks I was basically in survival mode from there. It got really hard on me really quick. Started feeling desperate for the next drink station and then from that on had to start having some little walking breaks, pace when I ran was still OK but it was hard yards and I was getting hot.
And then I started to feel like I might vomit, tactically decided to walk the inclines, decided against my last gel and the last drink tables I ignored apart from a cup of water over my head. Just did what I had to do to get finished.

After all that I still got a 6 and a half min PB coming in at 3:51...so it's a bit bittersweat, PB is a good think but I feel I was in so much better shape that it's a waste.

Since being home I've been hot and cold and my head is pounding so the sun and wind definitely cooked me.. Could have been much worse I suppose.

Marathon 2 in the bag... Not sure I'm in any rush to think about if there will be a 3rd

Sounds like you had a brutal day, but well done on the time and the PB.

There were a few poor souls suffering out there yesterday. Hope everyone pulled up okay. It was a touch warm with a lot of sun and I think some runners struggled with that.

I also missed my target (sub 4 hrs) and finished with 4:02.

I didn’t have a rough time like you, but I just couldn’t summon the strength in the last 10km to hit the target. I needed a 1 hr final 10k but there was no power in my legs. I ran the whole way but it was a shuffle by the end!

I also had a PB (-18 minutes) which is nice but my other two completed marathons were much more difficult courses so I was always expecting to PB.

It was a fantastic day. A very well run event. The weather was nice, maybe a touch too warm which made things tough towards the back end.

Make sure you soak up the achievement and enjoy it over the next few weeks. It’s not every day you finish a Marathon.

Sounds like you had a brutal day, but well done on the time and the PB.

There were a few poor souls suffering out there yesterday. Hope everyone pulled up okay. It was a touch warm with a lot of sun and I think some runners struggled with that.

I also missed my target (sub 4 hrs) and finished with 4:02.

I didn’t have a rough time like you, but I just couldn’t summon the strength in the last 10km to hit the target. I needed a 1 hr final 10k but there was no power in my legs. I ran the whole way but it was a shuffle by the end!

I also had a PB (-18 minutes) which is nice but my other two completed marathons were much more difficult courses so I was always expecting to PB.

It was a fantastic day. A very well run event. The weather was nice, maybe a touch too warm which made things tough towards the back end.

Make sure you soak up the achievement and enjoy it over the next few weeks. It’s not every day you finish a Marathon.
Well done on your run.. That is a substantial PB still!

After sleeping (well post Mara insomnia is real so not a great sleep) on it.. I'm fine. I've pulled up well all things considered, I got a decent PB and considering this time last year I was starting an enforced break until Jan from running with 2 tears in my meniscus, and then rebuilding from basically scratch with 1 min run/2 mins walk in January.. I have to be proud of the achievement and getting the work done to do it.

It's just rough when you have higher expectations on yourself.. But onwards and upwards!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done on your run.. That is a substantial PB still!

After sleeping (well post Mara insomnia is real so not a great sleep) on it.. I'm fine. I've pulled up well all things considered, I got a decent PB and considering this time last year I was starting an enforced break until Jan from running with 2 tears in my meniscus, and then rebuilding from basically scratch with 1 min run/2 mins walk in January.. I have to be proud of the achievement and getting the work done to do it.

It's just rough when you have higher expectations on yourself.. But onwards and upwards!

Yeah, I understand what you mean but it’s important not to be too tough on yourself. I would kill for your PB!

You’ve come a long way since January and the more important thing is you have got through unscathed so you can certainly rebound on to the next event (after a well deserved break).

I will be hitting the pavement on Wednesday for a recovery plod. I’m thinking the full Two Bays for the next event but I need to work up the courage to sign up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back