Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm prepared to forgive your misgivings but you were already wrong about his awareness and his ability tp actually stand in tackles and give it off.

I was wrong about Wills standing up in finals. He had a huge game. He does lose his feet a lot though and did last night too. It seems to be part of his tackling technique actually and was really effective nuetralising stoppages.

Stats telling us what our eyes are seeing. The hairband still looks a little lost when he's out on his own with the ball, but that's not his natural habitat. He's king of the inside contested domain. Cant recall another beast with such a baby face. Very intimidating and scary - for the opposition. :)

That's a really interesting analysis by champion data. I think Wills forces a lot repeat stoppages. If you think of the game as what you do when you have the ball, what you do when you don't, and what you do when it's in dispute, I reckon Wills really helps when we don't have possession and when it's disputed. I think it's a big bow to draw to say that one player has taken us from 18th to 2nd in turnover scoring though. Wills helps but it's bigger than one player I reckon.

Last edited:
Very intimidating and scary - for the opposition.
I noticed when he came on they brought Menegola in to try and block him at the centre bounce.
Clearly been identified as important to our side.

I did love it when Duncan (?) tried to bump him and ended up hitting the deck himself.
Rupe went back for seconds :)

I liked it when he looked up at the replay after he did that. He knew it was good.

Ulahoopski... Uncalled for to go trolling through the thread and calling people out...Side by side mate.
Fair enough in that I see where you're coming from but I didn't have to troll through the thread - I have a good memory when it comes to unfounded criticisms and Rupe is my man. Side by side goes for supporters with players too does it not? I think it's important to hold people to account if they're WILLing to criticise a player and proven wrong. Nevertheless I'm very happy to see so many people finally getting on board the Piledriver express.

Love him. Effort is 200% every contest. Knows his limitations and looks for the safe dish off. Not over trying to do something flashy. Loves the contact

Really happy for him. It’s fantastic seeing a player being given an opportunity and grasp it and perform

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a big bow to draw to say that one player has taken us from 18th to 2nd in turnover scoring though. Wills helps but it's bigger than one player I reckon.
I agree. They are playing better as a unit, by a long way, than they were in July. Whatever the reason, that is the result, and we have to keep rolling with it.

An very important cog in the machine, locks it down so oppo can't get it out, releases players at the clearance like Treloar, Sidey, Pendles etc. Loving what he brings at the moment and was disruptive against one of the best midfields in the business

Fair enough in that I see where you're coming from but I didn't have to troll through the thread - I have a good memory when it comes to unfounded criticisms and Rupe is my man. Side by side goes for supporters with players too does it not? I think it's important to hold people to account if they're WILLing to criticise a player and proven wrong. Nevertheless I'm very happy to see so many people finally getting on board the Piledriver express.

Kudos mate... you’ve been on Rupe since day one... unlike a few others who wouldn’t know a footballer if they tripped over one...

I've tagged Rupert in the past as a limited sort of footballer, and I didn't imagine coming into this season that he would figure in our fortunes. I hadn't written him off, but I had trouble seeing how he could meaningfully contribute to our competitive midfield.

Maybe I was wrong, and I happily accept that possibility, but I'm just as inclined to acknowledge that Rupert has elevated himself. There were times at VFL when I thought he was too 'tackle happy', that his tendency to take opponents to ground also meant that he excluded himself from the contest. I often saw that he'd tackle, the ball would spill free, but then Rupert wouldn't be in any position to further impact the contest.

What I've seen over the past month and a bit is a player who still tackles to hurt, but he's better at not over-committing himself in the process, and he shows more skill at intercepting the ball than I've seen before. He creates contest at the same time as he physically imposes himself. It's good to watch.

I was wrong about Wills standing up in finals. He had a huge game. He does lose his feet a lot though and did last night too. It seems to be part of his tackling technique actually and was really effective nuetralising stoppages.
I watched him closely quick, as soon as he gets a grip he just lets his weight drop straight down. That lets gravity do the work and also takes out the possibility of an in the back decision - unless the maggot is that scumbag razor.

A lot of criticism of Wills up until recently has not been ‘unfounded’. He has deserved criticism for performance in the past, he has looked very limited as a footballer. I dunno what the original post was... but, people are allowed to criticise a players performance.

In my eyes theres no need for the ‘i told you so’ by bringing up an old quote. Let him hold himself to account by praising Rupes critical role in the team.

It pains me to quote Robbo but this is just too good.

“The pressure for the game was 212, the fifth best of any team this year and Collingwood’s best since 2014.
It was led by 92 pressure points for Rupert Wills (including 13 tackles).”

That’s why he is a BULL and built for finals football.

loki04 Aishole

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back