Rushed behinds

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much? I would think plenty...this is the guy leading the league in tackles inside the forward 50...

why have i seen a negative lean towards Trav in the last week or 2 on this board? the guy has done all asked of him in the 2's and was vital in getting our run started with his intensity, chasing and tackling.

I would have him back in for Byrnes in a flash.

Varcoe has been alright. There was talk at the start of the year questioning whether having produced very little in the VFL last season did he actually deserve his spot on the team? Many of those who have seemingly developed an unhealthy obsession with the bloke were preaching the usual bullshite about how he had been drafted young and had been injured.. etc. He has been more than serviceable this year, but has not starred.

Varcoe has been alright. There was talk at the start of the year questioning whether having produced very little in the VFL last season did he actually deserve his spot on the team? Many of those who have seemingly developed an unhealthy obsession with the bloke were preaching the usual bullshite about how he had been drafted young and had been injured.. etc. He has been more than serviceable this year, but has not starred.

You're spot on. He has the goods for the long term but needs another preseason or two (remembering he didn't have one last year). Once he's a bit fitter I'd be interested to see how he goes in some different roles.

He does seem to have a good defensive footy brain, but I think he probably lets his opponent lead him to the ball at times. Still that will come.

In terms of rushed behinds, someone (KB?) was saying that he would be astounded if the rules don't change next year, and was surprised it didn't happen this year. I actually thought the "delayed" kick in was a good rule - added to the atmosphere a bit I think. The new rule hasn't had exactly as much impact as I thought it would have, at least most of the time, but I still think it allows too many uncontested marks from the kick in.

There are too many new rules being introduced in my opinion. While I hated seeing all those rushed behinds I think we should stop changing the rules so much.

Freo rushing 8 behind is a poor effort. Just shows how much pressure we had them under. I would like to see the stat of how many rushed behinds Geelong have done over the season compared to other teams. I think we have a fantastic backline who back each other up very well.

2007 Rushed Behinds Tally

Richmond: 69
Brisbane: 64
Kangas: 62
Fremantle: 62
Melbourne: 61
Hawks: 57
Collingwood: 55
Bulldogs: 54
Port: 49
Essendon: 49
Adelaide: 48
Sydney: 45
West C: 43
Aints: 43
Geelong: 39 (and had none last round.. all other teams had at least one, the highest being Port wth nine!!)
Carlton: 36

Got the stats from page 82 in the Herald Sun today.

See, this is why the AFL admin are F#**ing stupid. The reason teams rush behinds is because with the quick play on its like getting a free kick.

Simple solution, GO BACK TO THE OLD RULE. When teams rushed behinds under the old rule, it not only allowed everyone to catch their breath, but to also mean the attacking team had the chance to set up so they could keep the ball in attack. Was a little thing called strategy, something the AFL try to abolish. Teams used to avoid rushing behinds unless absolutely necessary because it made it harder to get the ball out of defence.

But as usual the AFL introduce a stupid rule, which always stuffs up and forces in even more useless rules to fix their first one. And the whole time the issue could be rectified by fixing that initial rule they introduce.

You are dead right. I have been thinking the exact same thing since early last year when I saw Richmond start to use this tactic. The quick kick in while speeding the game up does nothing to reward the offensive team at all.

The forward line could be putting fantastic pressure on the opposition only for them to rush a behind and then quickly back into the goal square. They wait for the goal umpire to signal a behind and then have a kick under no pressure to the opposite side of the ground to an unmanned team mate who they couldn't have reached because of the defensive efforts of the forwards moments earlier.

It's plain frustrating to watch. Bring back the old rule and give the team playing good football a chance.

Agreed. You only have to look at the deliberate out of bounds. I've have seen players penalised for this when they have kicked the ball forward from defence, the ball has bounced 20 meters inside the boundary before breaking and rolling out. The umpires don't apply this rule so strictly when teams do this in their forward line when under pressure. The game is alreading open far too much to an umpire's interpretation.

The other day I was watching the '87 GF Carlton v Hawks and had to chuckle when I watched one of the Carlton backline kick the ball 20m directly to the boundary line in front of him and the ump blew the whistle for a throw in. Didn't look too pretty and showed a distinct lack of courage, same as rushed behinds that are handballed, kicked or run through. I don't believe that the rule neeeds to be changed, is usually only abused by teams that are underequipped to deal with superior forward line pressure. If they're going to change anything, revert to the previous kick in.

- from Herald-Sun article
"At the weekend, there was an average of seven rushed behinds a game.

Although Port and the Dogs led the way with nine and six respectively, the powerful Geelong did not concede one.

It helps when you are winning matches by more than 10 goals and brimming with confidence. "
Let's not forget that the Cats do have the most effective (best) backline going around in the AFL at the moment.
And by a long way, too.

Not sure how many there were for the game but it was frustrating to see Fremantle doing it from 10-15 meters out. I hear the AFL might trial the rule where a rushed behind will result in a ball up somewhere within scoring range. I think this idea has some merit. They currently trial a 3 point rule for a rushed behind. Never really liked the idea. Scoring should be earned. With the 'ball up' rule at least the attacking team still has to work for a goal.
Port rushed 9 behinds last week & lost the game by 8 points.

Great comeback last night cats but gee weez. Can someone let Fremantle know that not only do 'rushed behinds' frustrate opposition supporters but they can, on occasions, cost you a game of football.

...................................Fremantle .............Geelong
....................................13.10. 88 ............13.11. 89

Rushed behinds .....................1 ......................6

Yeah I did notice there was a fair few rushed behinds. I dont watch Freo very often, so I wonder if its part of their game where they would rather conceed a point and re-start, or its just a coincidence against us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its normal for Freo, just like Richmond, it would be interesting to see the stats on this, whether the 'successful' teams rush fewer behinds compared to the (i guess) 'weaker' teams.

Shows we have good forward line pressure.

I think its normal for Freo, just like Richmond, it would be interesting to see the stats on this, whether the 'successful' teams rush fewer behinds compared to the (i guess) 'weaker' teams.

Shows we have good forward line pressure.

Cant be bothered going through them all but the Hawks have a lot of rushed behinds, more than Richmond and be pretty close to Freo.

However it wouldnt surprise me if it was a general trend.

I'd be astounded if there isn't a rule change on this in the next three or four years. The obvious thing to do is to go back to the old rule on kick ins, but that would mean the AFL admitting it was wrong.

I used to like the old rule. I liked the suspense at the kick in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rushed behinds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back