Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There is so many parts to the police interview that are questionable.
The first day there was just his fire and Hills truck light, the second day he added a lantern.
The first day, he didn’t remember what was said when Hill took the gun, the second day he could.
Police questioned the size of the fire for a 6 foot 2 man.
Lynn said he put the bodies into the trailer sideways and by lifting them.
Lynn said he put Ms Clay in first.
Why would you manauver the wagon and trailer back and forwards when Hill was meant to be right next to his wagon?
I can’t understand why you’d have a permanent table attached to the top of the trailer that you can’t move? Wouldn’t you have a table that slides or something so you can see where things are or take it off for other use, (although he did just have his jerry can in it.) Not to mention he used the table for another table for his back yard🤮 oh but Lynn told police they were free to have a look at it. I’m sure they did!!
Was going to salvage his boots which he’d also put in the trailer but rethought that one.
Not sure what he did with the bucket he’d used for Ms Clay’s head. Feel so much for her daughter/family having to hear this.
It’s difficult to interview someone who might be a suspect when you have no idea what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and you don’t know where the bodies are or whether you’ll ever know.

Not a massive surprise but towards the end of the interview GL admits his next to nothing level of experience hunting.

It was his first trip to stalk deer in the high country. Did one other trip near Tilpa for pigs. Didn’t see a single one.

Explains a lot.
I got the impression that he went hunting often. What was the gone "Wolf Creek again" about then? Did he just go off camping on his own? If he wasn't hunting, did he take his firearms? Really this is a surprise.

It’s difficult to interview someone who might be a suspect when you have no idea what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and you don’t know where the bodies are or whether you’ll ever know.
Totally agree. I feel for any officer who has to hear and see what they do and conduct such interviews. It would be difficult to balance asking questions to obtain the most information and pushing too hard at the risk he might shut down too.
Edit: I was meaning parts of Lynn’s evidence/story not the police questioning.

Yeh Brett & Daniel’s heads were spinning and very much struggling for words when trying to ask him questions.

And yeah GL kept going back to his page and re-iterating what HE would stand to lose.

But every time he told the ‘story’ as he referred to it, he seemed to want to stick to keep speaking and telling it and used the ‘same words’ and the same gestures and pauses each time. In very specific detail.

And in some parts used very short and sharp sentences and raised the intonation on the last word of the sentence. Which I thought was interesting.

There’s one time, when talking about the bodies, that he said something like, oh I can tell you the truth about that.

Then a lot of other details about the scene and other things not relating to the actual story, he often said don’t recall, oh I can’t remember that, or hmm not sure, couldn’t tell you.

Anything directly not incriminating seems irrelevant to him.

Also said a number of times he likes to camp alone, in remote, covered areas and seemed to be annoyed when he spoke about them being there.

And one point he said go and confront him about it (the drone). He didn’t use the words ask or talk to, but confront him. That’s telling.

As lot of us have said all along that it likely went down in a similar way to how he describes it, but there’s no music, or perhaps that’s just for cover, but instead of Russell Hill coming to his camp, it’s GL taking the gun from the car, loading it, shooting it, and arriving at their camp.

Startling them in the tent, wrestling w Russell, maybe Carol was screaming so he shot her and then carried on with the rest. However that went down.

The whole thing is just so awful. So awful.
and how did he not remember if they had shoes on🧐

Yes! This ^^ I was wondering about that too… he sort of hesitated answering that question and was quickly trying to work out an answer, about the order in which he loaded them into the trailer - and you’re right about placement, manoeuvre. Etc.

It would only make sense to put CC in first if they were both in the same location (at the campsite). I’ve always been inclined to believe they both died there, which again would be why the scene was so ‘horrendous’ in his words and very messy with a lot of blood and other matter.
Makes no sense at all.
Also confirmed in the interview that his car was parked a little away from his campfire with the trailer in between but still, he heard the rustle from the car with the music blaring.

Yes! This ^^ I was wondering about that too… he sort of hesitated answering that question and was quickly trying to work out an answer, and you’re right about placement, manoeuvre. Etc.

It would only make sense to put CC in first if they were both in the same location (at the campsite). I’ve always been inclined to believe they both died there, which again would be why the scene was so ‘horrendous’ in his words and very messy with a lot of blood and other matter.

After watching that interview, I was left with the idea that killing them was planned and they were set up.

Has anybody else noticed his vehicle was parked well away from his trailer and 'camp' which was hidden behind the trees on what looks like the far end of the track, on the loop?

Lynn appears to have parked his car in the middle of the stretch between Hill and Clay's camp and his own. Why would he do that?

After watching that interview, I was left with the idea that killing them was planned and they were set up.

Has anybody else noticed his vehicle was parked well away from his trailer and 'camp' which was hidden behind the trees on what looks like the far end of the track, on the loop?

Lynn appears to have parked his car in the middle of the stretch between Hill and Clay's camp and his own. Why would he do that?

Their third encounter, was due to Lynn turning up the "most annoying music" he could find. You have to wonder if this was in order to trap Hill into making some move to either turn the music down or, more likely to ask Lynn to do it, thereby 'causing' an argument and giving Lynn an excuse to elevate this to violence.

I have no idea but thinking he’s said that because he would have caught up will Hill long before Hill’s campsite if he’d said his car was parked closer and then it wouldn’t fit in with the hide n seek/wrestle scenario.

I have no idea but thinking he’s said that because he would have caught up will Hill long before Hill’s campsite if he’d said his car was parked closer and then it wouldn’t fit in with the hide n seek/wrestle scenario.

I'm suggesting Lynn's car was parked way too close to Hill's and way too far away from his trailer camp.

I'm suggesting Lynn's car was parked way too close to Hill's and way too far away from his trailer camp.
Yeah I know, I think Lynn said this because it gave Hill time to get back to his own camp.
Also an explanation for Lynn of how the music would have annoyed them. I can’t see it being that loud for Hill if it was 50 m away.

Their third encounter, was due to Lynn turning up the "most annoying music" he could find. You have to wonder if this was in order to trap Hill into making some move to either turn the music down or, more likely to ask Lynn to do it, thereby 'causing' an argument and giving Lynn an excuse to elevate this to violence.

Listening to the Motive and Method podcast with Xanthe Mallett and Tim Watson Munro who neither of can understand the reasoning behind taking manslaughter off the table. Xanthe says she's never seen it before and Tim says it's 'unique'. Xanthe also says while acknowledging she's a criminologist with a PhD and anthropologist, she knows a group of lawyers sat down over lunch to talk about it and they thought it really unusual as well.

So, glad there's some at least out there who didn't really get it either because I was starting to think the issue might be mine in comprehension.

You can skip through about the first half of background to get to the more interesting parts which start at 20.00mins. The verdict comes through at about 42.00mins and this is discussed.

Russell Hill was 6 feet 2 inches I wonder how tall Greg Lynn is? I'm thinking Hill was way bigger and even though he was 74 years old he would have intimidated Lynn physically. Greg Lynn doesn't come across as a physical guy. Perhaps that's why Lynn took his shotgun with him? Hill being a logger handled the physicality of his work his wife said. He had shrunk a bit and slowed down according to Robyn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lady O said:

Do you believe he actually turned his music up? This was his story to get Hill to come and take his gun so Clay's death could be told as an accident IMO? I think it's a furphy like most of his story.

Lady O said:

Do you believe he actually turned his music up? This was his story to get Hill to come and take his gun so Clay's death could be told as an accident IMO? I think it's a furphy like most of his story.

Look, when I wrote that, I was looking at the information that Lynn supplied and noting that it was him that was the aggressor, not Hill. He was the one who blamed Hill for photographing him, although of course he had done nothing wrong, (why then was he so angry?).

The story then goes on to to get Hill being in the wrong again, he tells a story of deliberately annoying him, but he switches it to Hill stealing his shotgun.

Then the story is the innocent Lynn tries to get back his shotgun and has to wrestle it from Hill and in the process it goes off (Lynn's finger wasn't on the trigger of course). Finally, the attack by Hill with a knife and while he is defending himself, Hill dies by his own hand.

His statement that it "wasn't murder as I understand it", is telling us that it's not murder if they deserved it.

That is no excuse for the jury to find him guilty on Clay's murder but not of Hill's. Even in Lynn's crazy and obviously false scenario, there is no suggestion that Clay was in any way deserving of having her head blown off.

Russell Hill was 6 feet 2 inches I wonder how tall Greg Lynn is? I'm thinking Hill was way bigger and even though he was 74 years old he would have intimidated Lynn physically. Greg Lynn doesn't come across as a physical guy. Perhaps that's why Lynn took his shotgun with him? Hill being a logger handled the physicality of his work his wife said. He had shrunk a bit and slowed down according to Robyn.

I think it was Sly who said Lynn was only a little bloke but what his idea of little is, I don't know and I've never seen Lynn's height mentioned.

I got the impression that he went hunting often. What was the gone "Wolf Creek again" about then? Did he just go off camping on his own? If he wasn't hunting, did he take his firearms? Really this is a surprise.

Yeah was surprised too. He made a point of it though. Maybe he has hunted elsewhere but was shocked when he said it.

I think it was Sly who said Lynn was only a little bloke but what his idea of little is, I don't know and I've never seen Lynn's height mentioned.
"Mr Lynn said he was 5’11 and weighed about 105 kilograms at the time.

“He was taller than me by a few inches, so six-foot something,” Mr Lynn said.

Under cross-examination, Mr Lynn was asked about Mrs Hill’s evidence her husband had slowed with age, responding; “I didn’t find that to be the case”.

“If you have a look at the pictures of me in the interview, I was carrying a lot more weight … a lot more fat than I am now. I was not very well,” he said."

"Mr Lynn said he was 5’11 and weighed about 105 kilograms at the time.

“He was taller than me by a few inches, so six-foot something,” Mr Lynn said.

Under cross-examination, Mr Lynn was asked about Mrs Hill’s evidence her husband had slowed with age, responding; “I didn’t find that to be the case”.

“If you have a look at the pictures of me in the interview, I was carrying a lot more weight … a lot more fat than I am now. I was not very well,” he said."

Close to six feet, not a little bloke really.

Back