Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
Borderline (BPD) is characterised by pervasive emotional dysregulation. He definitely ain't BPD.

Dunno not a psych. But some might say flipping out of over a drone and murdering two people might fall into the category. ASPD is associated with it. One for the psychs to sort out.

BPD is also associated with DV. Could be any of the above. One of Ted Bundy diagnosis was BPD.
Possibly misdiagnosed. Those with BPD have a deep seated fear of abandonment, when violent it's coming from a place of impulsivity. With ASPD it's much more cold and calculating, no remorse for the victims.

At a guess, would you say GL was a cold and calculating killer or an impulsive killer?

BPD is also associated with DV. Could be any of the above. One of Ted Bundy diagnosis was BPD.

Good point. Also pervasive emotional dysregulation is only one of the criteria needed for BPD diagnosis according to DSM 5. The disorder is not characterised by it but it’s one feature of it.

No doubt misdiagnosed. Those with BPD have a deep seated fear of abandonment, when violent it's coming from a place of impulsivity. With ASPD it's much more cold and calculating, no remorse for the victims.

At a guess, would you say GL was a cold and calculating killer or an impulsive killer?

Just go by his police interview. What was his greatest fear? Losing his happy place that he just found. It’s the whole motive according to him as to why he did what he did.

Possibly misdiagnosed. Those with BPD have a deep seated fear of abandonment, when violent it's coming from a place of impulsivity. With ASPD it's much more cold and calculating, no remorse for the victims.

Possibly kills or does other horrific acts when he feels threatened.

Last edited:
The only other note I'll make on this is that of people diagnosed with BPD, the gender split is 75% women, 25% in men.

I believe BPD is misunderstood and many people with the condition are unfairly stigmatised. I won't go on further, there's so much more that could be said but I must sleep.

The only other note I'll make on this is that of people diagnosed with BPD, the gender split is 75% women, 25% in men.

I believe BPD is misunderstood and many people with the condition are unfairly stigmatised. I won't go on further, there's so much more that could be said but I must sleep.

Would be good to understand your gender statistic as it relates to BPD when you get a chance.

1/4 is not insignificant. And there’s no attempt to stigmatise anyone with the condition. I’m applying my layman’s understanding to a specific person found guilty of a crime and nothing else.

Last edited:
As a generalist psych but also heavily reliant on Dr Google I concur with diagnosis as below re GL’s leaning towards socipath -

Sociopaths have a limited, albeit weak, ability to feel empathy and remorse. They're also more likely to fly off the handle and react violently when confronted by the consequences of their actions. Make it clear they do not care how others feels. Behave in hot-headed and impulsive ways

Jury has really botched this one with what I reckon was a compromised verdict. Should've debated more/hung a verdict if no agreement.
Problems are 3 fold as I see it.
1. Finding of not guilty for RH not guilty means that matter is done. Can't be re tried again in conjunction with CC in an appeal even if flawed. Not guilty essentially is all done
2 and 3 The split verdict. Two ways this maybe unsound.
A. The jury accepted the closing argument that he killed RH and than CC as a witness. This was never put to GL in cross and doesn't make sense. The case centred on another order. In this case a split verdict (if possible ) would be the confrontation CC killed by accident (not guilty) than he killed RH as cover (guilty) thus that is the half half story believable in line with evidence
The road the jury took centres on he either killed CC first than rh by accident =makes no sense
Or as first mentioned RH by accident than CC. But this was argued against the rules in closing so is ripe for the appeal.
Rather than none there was plenty of evidence. Shotgun skull burning bodies for 2 guilty verdicts. Only prospect of reasonable doubt was GLs story holding up which in part it did.
TLDR
Should've been no.split verdict
But the split of CC guilty RH not guilty makes no.sense on order of evidence presented or reasoning. Jury has botched it with imo.a compromised verdict. Not guilty means 1 part is over and opens up the judges rulings and reasonable order of events
Very well considered post, congrats!

There is a question that if I was a juror, I would have posed to the 11 remaining jurors re CC.

Why would RH approach GL in the manner GL described, if CC was still alive?

My comments would have been; wouldn't RH be more likely to approach GL in the manner described by GL, if CC was deceased as an outcome of being accidentally killed by RH as GL would have been the only witness and RH would have been in emotional turmoil at maximum level knowing he was ultimately responsible for the death of CC and GL was the only witness; flying drone in prohibited area, flying drone in campsite, firing shots at campsite - not including accidental shot, approaching GL with threatening behaviour with a knife, threatenening behaviour - clenched fist.

I would have also said CC died adjacent to food prep area of RH vehicle canopy and there are kitchen knives stored there as can be seen in trial photo exhibits and police video. RH would have gone to check on CC immediately after the accidental firing during the RH/GL struggle as described by GL.

Note the pretrial appeal court outcome details drone flying in Alpine Park was prohibited unless permit issued. No mention that RH held a permit.

It would be interesting to know if RH had flown drone without permit and if this was mentioned at trial.

Very well considered post, congrats!

There is a question that if I was a juror, I would have posed to the 11 remaining jurors re CC.

Why would RH approach GL in the manner GL described, if CC was still alive?

My comments would have been; wouldn't RH be more likely to approach GL in the manner described by GL, if CC was deceased as an outcome of being accidentally killed by RH as GL would have been the only witness and RH would have been in emotional turmoil at maximum level knowing he was ultimately responsible for the death of CC and GL was the only witness; flying drone in prohibited area, flying drone in campsite, firing shots at campsite - not including accidental shot, approaching GL with threatening behaviour with a knife, threatenening behaviour - clenched fist.

I would have also said CC died adjacent to food prep area of RH vehicle canopy and there are kitchen knives stored there as can be seen in trial photo exhibits and police video. RH would have gone to check on CC immediately after the accidental firing during the RH/GL struggle as described by GL.

Note the pretrial appeal court outcome details drone flying in Alpine Park was prohibited unless permit issued. No mention that RH held a permit.

It would be interesting to know if RH had flown drone without permit and if this was mentioned at trial.

The jury have made their decision. They did so after more than a week of deliberations. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the verdict that I can see.
MOO

Would be good to understand your gender statistic as it relates to BPD when you get a chance.

1/4 is not insignificant. And there’s no attempt to stigmatise anyone with the condition. I’m applying my layman’s understanding to a specific person found guilty of a crime and nothing else.
I should clarify I wasn't suggesting you were stigmatising people with BPD - it was more a comment on societal impressions of people with BPD, actually within the profession of psychiatry and psychology also.

Interestingly, when I was completing my psych degrees and learning about personality disorders - the lecturers used to muse about the gender differences with ASPD (predominantly diagnosed in men) and BPD (predominantly women). The consensus was that when people have these sets of symptoms, men tend to get the ASPD diagnosis and women tend to get the BPD diagnosis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a generalist psych but also heavily reliant on Dr Google I concur with diagnosis as below re GL’s leaning towards socipath -

Sociopaths have a limited, albeit weak, ability to feel empathy and remorse. They're also more likely to fly off the handle and react violently when confronted by the consequences of their actions. Make it clear they do not care how others feels. Behave in hot-headed and impulsive ways
Must be just peachy living with him 😳

Must be just peachy living with him 😳
Very peachy. To live with someone who has characteristics/disorders where there’s lack of empathy or they don’t care about others feelings as long as they are ok, a person would have to be seemingly confident but yet submissive to them, keeping out of their way, not asking questions or raising concerns, not doing anything to upset them, allowing them to have their own way because as long as they’re happy, everyone’s happy. Walking on eggshells potentially.

I did see that post earlier. but didn't think it was in relation to what I am asking.

I disagree with the comment that was made and am simply asking for clarification.
My understanding is that Highcountry has seeked clarification if she can discuss it and said “As to the other claim it is not permitted within the rules of this forum.”

Is there anyone out there that knows Greg Lynn and can attest that he was a good person? Even just normal average? Was he funny or kind? A great friend?

One for the following I’d think:

highcountry
ninaballerina
alejandro
palmbeach

If you just went with the public reporting from a career standpoint a very competent and detailed oriented professional but had his peculiarities and could rub people up the wrong way.

Will see what happens at the pre sentencing hearing. Even if you were a “mate” of his it’s probably going to be hard to make that public given what he did.

One for the following I’d think:

highcountry
ninaballerina
alejandro
palmbeach

If you just went with the public reporting from a career standpoint a very competent and detailed oriented professional but had his peculiarities and could rub people up the wrong way.

Will see what happens at the pre sentencing hearing. Even if you were a “mate” of his it’s probably going to be hard to make that public given what he did.

True. But usually you still get someone claiming the perpetrator was a good bloke or a great footy player or something.

Fair to assume he was intelligent and hard working?

True. But usually you still get someone claiming the perpetrator was a good bloke or a great footy player or something.

Fair to assume he was intelligent and hard working?

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that description based on the public reporting. Although he did mention in his ROI that his manager didn’t like him very much.

Is there anyone out there that knows Greg Lynn and can attest that he was a good person? Even just normal average? Was he funny or kind? A great friend?
I thought that was normally when someone died. You know, the old they were such a great bloke when before they’d died they weren’t so good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

Back