Think Tank Russell Robertson tells Kane Cornes to GAGF

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't think about Cornes as a player and I don't think about him as a whatever he is now.
All I know about what he says is what I read here or what other journos say.

The s**t afl journo I like is purple, just cause when I went and watched the Saturday rub live at the 17 GF I yelled some s**t out at him and he bantered back. He wasn't as bad as I thought he was.
Really? I bantered with Purple on Twitter and he blocked me

Really? I bantered with Purple on Twitter and he blocked me

images

Robertson said "no one gives a sh*t what you think" which is obviously untrue given that Cornes manages to trigger entire fanbases on a weekly basis with his strident opinions. If nobody gave a sh*t, then we'd never hear people bagging him or starting threads over some criticism he gave to one of our players or coaches.

On face value, Goodwin didn't say anything about Finn Maginness which was that bad. But it is rare to hear an AFL coach speaking in such sneering tones about an opposition player, especially a kid who hadn't broken any rules or done anything dirty. He just did a great defensive job.

Craig McRae was quite generous with his comments 2-3 weeks ago after Nick Daicos was blanketed by Finn, saying he knows him, he's a great kid, nobody has worked harder on their game and it's great that footy can provide a pathway for players of all different shapes, sizes and skillsets, etc.

Goodwin, by contrast, came across like an ungracious knob. Maybe he didn't mean to, but that's what most people thought, even many Dees fans

--------------

Back to Kane Cornes... Obviously, the media loves courting controversy and being inflammatory to generate clicks and ratings and get people talking. They all do it. No point hating Cornes just because he really good at that. He doesn't jump on the bandwagon when it comes to kicking clubs (or a player or coach). He isn't a sheep like most in the media. I like that he sticks his neck out and goes it alone.

He is deliberately provocative, but there is always plenty of substance to his critiques of clubs, coaches, and players. He is usually around the mark. People just don't like to hear it. The truth hurts.

Maybe he went overboard saying Tim Taranto wasn't in the Top 150 players... :D... but forget the number "150", that's just hyperbole... He still made a pretty good point saying that Taranto is a big money recruit; saviour of the Richmond midfield; but he just doesn't influence games like someone of his pay-grade should.

Tigers fans will point out that Taranto is equal 14th in the coaches votes... But look at where Richmond finished this year: 12th... Look at their major weakness: slow midfield.. Look at Taranto's ball use: 59% efficiency, 43% kicking efficiency... It's literally the WORST of any midfielder in the AFL.

I actually think Cornes is one of the best pundits. He is one of the few I bother to listen to.

I've come around this year since he quit bagging my club relentlessly and managed to find a few nice things to say about us. He had a serious bee up his arse about Clarko, always calling him a sook and a whinger, and saying the Hawks were going nowhere. You get sick of hearing that stuff from one person about your own struggling club... Although now I look back and think he was probably justified in saying all of that. I just didn't want to hear it.

Bottom line: the AFL media is better with a person like Kane Cornes in it, who isn't afraid to put the boot in and kick a few sacred cows, and not afraid to call the coaches out for speaking bullsh*it and making excuses.

Damn. Long post... :$ But Cornes has become a popular target... Someone had to defend him. :)
TL;DR. Cornes is a knob.

Robertson said "no one gives a sh*t what you think" which is obviously untrue given that Cornes manages to trigger entire fanbases on a weekly basis with his strident opinions. If nobody gave a sh*t, then we'd never hear people bagging him or starting threads over some criticism he gave to one of our players or coaches.

On face value, Goodwin didn't say anything about Finn Maginness which was that bad. But it is rare to hear an AFL coach speaking in such sneering tones about an opposition player, especially a kid who hadn't broken any rules or done anything dirty. He just did a great defensive job.

Craig McRae was quite generous with his comments 2-3 weeks ago after Nick Daicos was blanketed by Finn, saying he knows him, he's a great kid, nobody has worked harder on their game and it's great that footy can provide a pathway for players of all different shapes, sizes and skillsets, etc.

Goodwin, by contrast, came across like an ungracious knob. Maybe he didn't mean to, but that's what most people thought, even many Dees fans

--------------

Back to Kane Cornes... Obviously, the media loves courting controversy and being inflammatory to generate clicks and ratings and get people talking. They all do it. No point hating Cornes just because he really good at that. He doesn't jump on the bandwagon when it comes to kicking clubs (or a player or coach). He isn't a sheep like most in the media. I like that he sticks his neck out and goes it alone.

He is deliberately provocative, but there is always plenty of substance to his critiques of clubs, coaches, and players. He is usually around the mark. People just don't like to hear it. The truth hurts.

Maybe he went overboard saying Tim Taranto wasn't in the Top 150 players... :D... but forget the number "150", that's just hyperbole... He still made a pretty good point saying that Taranto is a big money recruit; saviour of the Richmond midfield; but he just doesn't influence games like someone of his pay-grade should.

Tigers fans will point out that Taranto is equal 14th in the coaches votes... But look at where Richmond finished this year: 12th... Look at their major weakness: slow midfield.. Look at Taranto's ball use: 59% efficiency, 43% kicking efficiency... It's literally the WORST of any midfielder in the AFL.

I actually think Cornes is one of the best pundits. He is one of the few I bother to listen to.

I've come around this year since he quit bagging my club relentlessly and managed to find a few nice things to say about us. He had a serious bee up his arse about Clarko, always calling him a sook and a whinger, and saying the Hawks were going nowhere. You get sick of hearing that stuff from one person about your own struggling club... Although now I look back and think he was probably justified in saying all of that. I just didn't want to hear it.

Bottom line: the AFL media is better with a person like Kane Cornes in it, who isn't afraid to put the boot in and kick a few sacred cows, and not afraid to call the coaches out for speaking bullsh*it and making excuses.

Damn. Long post... :$ But Cornes has become a popular target... Someone had to defend him. :)
TL;DR you are DEFENDING that plonker?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bay you mean? After he melts everyone down. Triggered Tigger would be in for a very difficult time.
Cornes would cop a ban very quickly once he started trolling Essenscum*

jebus, one minute I agree with him about Finn, then next I think "no hang on, he really is a dickhead".
Yep. That's pretty much my take on Cornes.
For every good take he has he comes out with some absolute nonsense.

imagine if he took a dig at Tazzy???

;-)
AFL would ban him as they just tried a copyright or something on the map of tassie emblem

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Tank Russell Robertson tells Kane Cornes to GAGF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back