Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty simple for him. Talent and skillset are there.

Next man up and take the opportunity, this is exactly what footballers spend the entre year playing for.

He's played good footy for us before, his last two seasons haven't been up to standard. His best footy is easily good enough to cover. I hope he can find it again because there's too much talent there. I didn't actually think he was too bad going into defence last week, aside from one moment where he chose to kick it off the ground rather than pick it up. Houston's strength isn't exactly his defensive side either, his strength is his kicking, and we've tailored the game plan to his biggest weapon. He is incredibly consistent at it however. Burton's deficiency isn't his kicking, if we make him the guy back there.

He's played good footy for us before, his last two seasons haven't been up to standard. His best footy is easily good enough to cover. I hope he can find it again because there's too much talent there. I didn't actually think he was too bad going into defence last week, aside from one moment where he chose to kick it off the ground rather than pick it up. Houston's strength isn't exactly his defensive side either, his strength is his kicking, and we've tailored the game plan to his biggest weapon. He is incredibly consistent at it however. Burton's deficiency isn't his kicking, if we make him the guy back there.
Unfortunately you can only go on recent form, and for the last 2 seasons he has been putrid

He's shown nothing to suggest he can turn it around

If we win a flag this year it will be thanks to Ryan Burton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was very good. 19 disposals, 18 kicks for 642m gained. There's no doubting his talent.
He was tough today. He won some gilt-edged 50-50 contests against good opponents even when out of position. On at least 3 occasions he met the bouncing ball cleanly and braced for the incoming tackle to force a stoppage. If that’s what he does for the next month, we might just be able to cover Houston.

Easily his best game in a long time last night.

If he can perform to that level in September the Houston loss will not be nearly as felt as what we all would have expected.

His game was a great example of why I'm generally slower to give up on blokes in bad form but who have proven they're up to the level at their best. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Burton played a pretty good game.

I saw him not chase hard that resulted in a goal by Frederick but overall, he did his job.

He roosted for the most metres gained which is what we want from that position and solid defensive work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back