Toast Ryan Griffen, thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Griffen looked a sad and broken man in the press conference with GWS.

That our club allowed any player, let alone our captain and best player, to get to this state is incompetence of 'Melbournesque' proportions.

What has happened with Ryan Griffen is as much an indictment on our club and its management, as on Ryan (whose handling of things has been shithouse, his advisors have also been piss poor).

Ryan was our best big game and finals performer, courageous and a very good, even elite player.

The deal is done, I wish him no ill will, I hope he gets his life together.

More importantly, I hope our club gets its shit together so we never see something like this unfold again.

When I think about it, I feel for Griffen even though I'm disappointed about how this all played out. I haven't heard too many people almost cry in a press conference with a new club about an old club. It obviously is a very tough time for him, the club meant plenty to him and probably still does. This isn't about money. It is obvious now that he was never cut out for the job as captain. It is sometimes the view of people to just throw the best player in the team the captaincy but this may not be the best thing to do. Not everyone can be captain of a club and in no way is that a knock on the person, it is just who they are, they are still great footballers. On the other hand you have a person like Maxwell at Collingwood who is a great leader but not even close to the best player, everyone has different qualities. I think Griffen may have fallen victim to the stigma of a great player equals a great captain. He shouldn't have been given the captaincy in the first place, he wasn't up for it. From this moment forward, relations between him and the club/coach obviously deteriorated to a point beyond recovery, McCartney there or not. The club has to be part at fault. I also really do think Griffen could have in some way handled this better, I'm not sure how. Maybe speak to the club rather than get his management to say he is leaving as well as many other things along the way but I wasn't in the club so hard to comment.

Whilst i don't wish him ill well, i certainly won't be cheering for him.

Was a champion player for our club, unfortunately will be remembered for the way he left us, and rightly so.

When you see episodes likes this play out, it makes you appreciate the loyal champions like Chris Grant and Robert Harvey even more.

Yes he was a good player for us, but he's now done more damage than good hence why he doesn't deserve a thank you.

Yes the club has responsibility for making him feel really sad and run down etc but it doesn't excuse him for

A. Picking one club and one club only to be traded to. In fact it stinks of another reason he left us.

B. telling the club everything was fine when they tried to address things in a fair and adult manner when he had clearly already decided to go to gws.

C. Not contacting the club for a week after ripping it's heart out and being responsible for another humans job and livelihood. (After he'd said he'd try and rectify his issues and admitted responsibility)

D. Not issuing a public thank you to the club that gave you a chance and helped you through tough personal issues early in your career

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ryan Griffen, thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back