Delisted Ryan Harwood (2009-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 Player Review: Part One

Defender Ryan Harwood had to wait until Round Nine against the Saints for his first taste of Senior football in 2015. The 24-year-old had surgery in mid-February to address abdominal and groin pain and spent time playing for the Reserves in the NEAFL to regain match fitness. Indicative of the Lions’ bad run of luck with injury, Harwood was subbed out with concussion after receiving a heavy knock. It was the first of just three games for the Tasmanian this season, who struggled to find consistency after spending the bulk of 2015 on the sidelines with injury. When fully fit, Harwood is a damaging runner with creative and clean disposal, and, after signing a contract extension in August, will be keen to see more game time in 2016.

Credit to this bloke for working his way into some solid form and credit to the coaching staff for persisting with him after a shaky beginning to the season. He is quite a reliable defender 1 on 1, he is a handy player to have at the stoppages in our defensive 50, he lays ferocious tackles, he is courageous, he isn't afraid to take the game on and his disposal is actually fairly tidy save for the odd mis kick here and there although mind you I haven't seen many clangers from Harzy the past 3 or so weeks. Turning into a very handy small defender for us. Hopefully he remains injury free and plays all 22 games this season.

The Bell tolls for Lions mid, surgery to end season

Defenders Ryan Harwood (knee) and Tom Cutler (hamstring) have also been added to the club's injury list.

Like Bell, Harwood is also unlikely to return in 2016 after straining his posterior cruciate ligament against the Eagles.

He will wear a brace for six weeks and is expected to miss at least eight weeks of action.

Harwood to be put on Long-Term Injury List

The Brisbane Lions have this afternoon lodged paperwork to the AFL to transfer defender Ryan Harwood from the Club’s Primary List to its Long-Term Injury List.

Under the agreement, Harwood is ineligible to play for a minimum of eight weeks while on the list.

Scans yesterday confirmed Harwood had ruptured his posterior cruciate ligament. He will wear a brace for six weeks as he recovers and will be sidelined for at least eight weeks.

Player Reviews: Part 1

Defender Ryan Harwood played 13 games for 2016. Mid-season injury put a halt to Harwood’s season when the 25-year-old was transferred to the long-term injury list in June after scans confirmed he had ruptured his posterior cruciate ligament. Harwood totalled 181 disposals with an average of 13.9.

Coaches notes:

Harwood played the first 13 games for 2016, the most consecutive games he’s played in his career. Unfortunately he missed the last 10 games through injury. He is currently in rehab. Hopefully he’ll have another successful year down back due to his maturity and ability to drive the ball out of the defensive 50.

Will they stay or go? Tracking the free agents
Unrestricted - Dropped twice already in 2017, the 25-year-old defender appears to be on shaky ground as the Lions prepare for a likely list cull at the end of the season. Has 12 rounds to convince Lions coach Chris Fagan he has a future at the Gabba beyond 2017.

Ryan Harwood fighting to play Senior footy again before season’s end
Ryan Harwood is doing everything in his power to secure a Senior footy berth before season’s end. Harwood has not played Senior football since the Lions’ Round 13 loss to GWS. The week after, the The week after, the 25-year-old suffered an injury at training, where his foot split open. He was sidelined for five weeks, before returning to the NEAFL last weekend.

“I want to get in as soon as I can. I was playing Senior footy before I got injured. I know I’ve got to play a couple of games to get myself ready to go,” Harwood said. Harwood's patience has been tested in the past few weeks as he treaded carefully on his injured foot. Sitting on the sideline, watching his teammates take to the field was frustrating. “It was in a weird spot and I couldn’t really put weight through my foot. If it was to split again I would lose 10 to 12 weeks. So I had to really be patient with it and let it heal before I started to run,” Harwood said.

The Lions NEAFL side's Round 17 win over Redland was Harwood’s first game back and he didn’t waste any time. Harwood sat on the bench for the first quarter, but once he was on, his impact was immediate. He contributed four goals, 19 disposals and nine marks but says he can do more.

“I was a bit lazy at times. Probably didn’t have the run in my legs,” Harwood said. His coach Mitch Hahn agrees: “He needs to build into a bit of match fitness.” Hahn believes his young star is a chance for a senior promotion before season’s end. “He’s certainly in our mix to play Senior footy in the next few weeks and the last couple of rounds and I’m sure he’ll want that for his season, to finish off strong,” Hahn said.

This weekend against Canberra, Harwood is expected to play across the four quarters. “The more game time I can get in the NEAFL where I’m playing, the better,” Harwood said.

The Lions will aim for their ninth straight win on Saturday afternoon against the Canberra Demons. The Demons may sit sixth on the ladder but have plenty to play for. “They’re still eligible to play finals. They’re not out of the race,” Harwood said.
harwoodfightingweb.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm personally disappointed with Ryan being delist d, still thought he offered a bit particularly in his last two senior games as a defensive forward. That foot injury came at the worst possible time.

Wonder if a side like Gold Coast would be interested in Ryan, even as a rookie?

Brisbane begins annual Lion cull
THE Lions have begun their annual delistings, with Ryan Harwood the most experienced player to be informed his contract would not be renewed. Harwood played 81 AFL games since making his debut in Round 17, 2010 but has battled numerous injuries throughout this career.

Lions general manager of football operations David Noble thanked the players for their service. “This time of the season is always difficult, especially when you have to let good people go,’’ Noble said.

Lions axe free agent among five delistings
THE BRISBANE Lions have delisted five players, including experienced defender Ryan Harwood and key forward Jono Freeman.

Free agent Harwood is the most experienced of the five to be cut, having played 81 games in his eight seasons at the club. The running defender played just nine games in 2017 and has been dogged by an assortment of leg injuries over his time at the Lions.
Lions-Cut-Five-AFL.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Ryan Harwood (2009-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back