Toast Ryan Lester 200 Game Tribute Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In my junior years, I played HBF and have always had a soft spot for defenders.
Lester is the ultimate clubman, leader and is an inspirational player for all juniors to look up to.
Grant Lawrie was mine.
Who’s better 3KZ is Football Lawrie or Lester ?
Great question. Lawrie was quicker and had greater attacking potential. I would rate Lester as better on the ground and a stronger tackler. Both were beautiful kicks. I think Lester is a slightly stronger contested mark, but Lawrie was also a great mark. Thoughts?

Great question. Lawrie was quicker and had greater attacking potential. I would rate Lester as better on the ground and a stronger tackler. Both were beautiful kicks. I think Lester is a slightly stronger contested mark, but Lawrie was also a great mark. Thoughts?
Agree, Lester gives the impression of being the rugged don’t mess with me foot soldier, whereas Lawrie maybe a bit more flashy. Either way I would have them both in the same team.

I think one of his greatest attributes has been the value he places on team first actions. For a lot of AFL standard footballers, they were the junior champion at their club, school etc. The transition to being a great teammate, while not a star, has been the making of him, dependable, adaptable and hard working. And that has simply made him a better player over time.

That’s great recognition from Selwood. Understanding the game really helps you to appreciate what Lester brings, week in and week out. The other thing he does which goes unnoticed, is his willingness to take possession in high pressure contested play and take some big hits in order to force a stoppage and allow his teammates to set up.

3KZ is Football I wonder if Hodge coming to the club helped develop Lester in his current role?

Hodgy's impact on both Lester and Andrews was significant in terms of becoming better leaders on field and generals.

Another thing with Froggy, his kicking has gotten so much better. Used to be a pretty safe and neat kick, but since 2023 when he locked down a role in the backline his kicking has become a weapon. Seems to get more penetration and speed on his balls and not so 'up and under'.

3KZ is Football I wonder if Hodge coming to the club helped develop Lester in his current role?

Hodgy's impact on both Lester and Andrews was significant in terms of becoming better leaders on field and generals.

Another thing with Froggy, his kicking has gotten so much better. Used to be a pretty safe and neat kick, but since 2023 when he locked down a role in the backline his kicking has become a weapon. Seems to get more penetration and speed on his balls and not so 'up and under'.
I was thinking that last night about that and I think you and M Malice are on to something there. Hodge was sensational for the Lions over two seasons and he really helped to develop the team and the vibe around the place. His numbers as a player were great too. I have no doubt that Lester would have learned lots from Hodge and part of who he is as a player could be attributed to his time with Hodge. Where I believe Lester is of more value to us now than Hodge was then, relates to the influence he is having on a very young backline. Using a philosophical analogy, I see Hodge as Socrates and Lester as Plato. Perhaps …

You are certainly right about Lester’s kicking. His disposal efficiency and decision making, makes his kicking a real weapon. He and Zorko have really opened sides up this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3KZ is Football you should change your name this week to 3KZ is Ryan Lester only fitting i think.

3KZ is Football you should change your name this week to 3KZ is Ryan Lester only fitting i think.
I would've thought "Ryan Lester is Football" would be more appropriate in general.

Cam Rayner’s comments about Ryan Lester are fantastic. His summation of Lester’s conduct as a mentor and importance to the playing group really validate what many of us have seen on the field and reflect what the players have experienced off the field. Ryan Lester is a class act.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ryan Lester 200 Game Tribute Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back