Ryan Pagan

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd just follow the tradition of the Doggies giving slow North midfielders a go and then embarassing us by turning them into half decent consistent players....think Libba, Romero, Contessa....
frown.gif

Nah, send him to Collingwood and you would almost certainly guarantee that he will fail to make the grade....think McAdam, Barnett, Pyman....
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Pagan is worth a look at.
Would have played more games for the Kangas
last season except for the internal politics.

Thanks for the inside scoop Rooboy.

Ryan really impressed me during the ansett cup. He got promoted onto the senior list didn't he?
The only problem i see is that he's kind of in the Contessa mould and both of them are the same age (22/23), and Terry LOVES Adam. But he wouldn't be trialling him if he didn't see a set role for him.

Another player we are also trialling is Clucas from Freo- WHO???? WHY????

And BTW boys- If we do draft Ryan, do u think Dennis would give him a "helping hand" when we play you guys??
smile.gif
only kidding!

One thing I will give Ryan Pagan credit for is his ability to get the ball. His delivery, however, could be improved. He should take the lead from someone like Peter Bell who concentrates on the simple things....just getting the ball out to someone in the clear. Too often, Pagan will get the ball and start thinking that he's Nathan Buckley and try to pinpoint a 45 metre pass...which inevitably will travel about 40m and into the arms of an opposition player who is surrounded by acres of space.

He may do better away from North where there isn't the father=coach, son=player problem that seemed to bother Martin Pike and a few others.

Final assessment? He's worth a 4th round draft pick.

I remember watching a schoolboys match in about 1994 or thereabouts and Ryan was the Captain of the winning team... He played a blinder... and I remember thinking shit this boy is ours... yes... you little ripper... sadly internal politics have killed any chance Ryan had of making it at North...

Ryan was promoted to the Seniors when Smith got put on the long term injury list... when Smith recovered Ryan was delisted... to make way...

I hope he proves a few people wrong...

Rooboy... first with the news as always... and almost a month before the media even got hold of it.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/story_204298.htm

Apparently he's a certainty at least for our rookie list, but the sticking point is that he misses out by five months. Should be interesting what the AFL decides. I'm hoping we can get him, along with keeping Jimmy Plunkett at the club, even as a rookie list player, if no-one snares any of them first.

Westy, I thought you'd be pissed off with young Ryan training at Whitten Oval, with your comments about midfielders after the draft? Nothing against Pagan, but don't you guys need height before a guy like him? Wouldn't a guy like Blumfield or Rogers (Rich), a marking, running midfielder, be better? Or a tall Offence/defence player?

My wife (long time Dogs fan) is fuming, she wanted Wallace gone before last year, then the draft (similair thoughts to yours) and now this. "NOT HAPPY JAN
mad.gif
" . She's not alone either I know some ex-high up Bulldogs who aint happy with his work.

Hasn't stopped her trying to turn our kids to the "Dark Side" (the Dogs) however. She succeeded with one already, nasty woman
biggrin.gif

Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rice80SF

Fighting over what allegiences your kids should have can cause unecessary strain and angst within the family unit. The only fair thing to do is to get your kids to support a side that neither you nor your wife have any allegience too. But you need some tradition, so a club on the western side of town will do. Geelong is a bit too far away, so may I recommend the boys from Arden Street. A fine club with a rich history and a small, but loyal set of fans. The North Melbourne Football Club...the only choice for the mini-Rice80SF's of this world.
wink.gif

Thanks guys,

I thank you for your advice and the very hard task of leaving all personal feelings asside
wink.gif
. For this I salute you both.

Shinners you should take up family counciling, Greig Miller might provide sponsorship support
smile.gif

I'll really miss this place, I'll be signing off as of 24/11/00. I'm taking a package and running from present employment. So don't know when I'll be able to get back and chat with you fine folk. I'm not online at home.

Cheers.

Oi! Westy Boy!!!! Can you fix Rice up with a....um.....er.....pre-loved computer with the lot?
wink.gif

Oh, and now that I've thought of it, we could kill two birds with the one stone here, so can you make it one that's from Werribee and has been pre-loved by an Essendon fan
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Shinboners (edited 15 November 2000).]

Rice

I'll look forward to some big "bombs" in the forum then over the next week or so - make sure you get your money's worth.

Go easy on the Kangas though for your kids sake
wink.gif

Cheers

Gonzo

Shinners, that was damn right NASTY lol. Best ive seen in ages, but i dont know who it bags more, The Big W lad or a certain Bomber.

Rice, good luck with whatever the future holds, except footy wise
biggrin.gif

ps do get a comp though, hell by the kids the new playstation with the internet capability then dont let them use it, tell them thats what they get for going against the old man and siding with the dark side.
wink.gif

Rice,
You have to do something to get back online, these boards wont be the same without ya. I love your posts mate, and along with Arch and Sandie, are top bomber supporters (or "light side" supporters maybe?? :confused
smile.gif
. Come down to my Uni computer labs (Geelong) if it's not too far, I'll might be able to organise a fake student login for ya
wink.gif
)

Please don't leave us with Spot24 (BTW- where is spot?.... here boy, c'mon boy, what's that boy??... "woof minor woof premiers grrr"... bad dog! naughty dog!... go fetch now!)

But like Gonzo said, if these have to be the last couple of weeks, make them COUNT!!... now's the time to get back at any guy who even mildly pissed you off during your time here .... and if i fall into that category.... ignore what I just said
wink.gif

About your questions- i'm going to do a Spot24-esque backflip, change what i said into not being taken as literally in some places, but word for word in other places... in other words... u have to be able to read my mind!
biggrin.gif
kidding

OK- Pagan- We have no immediate quality depth in the midfield. Our draftees can't step up straight away
mad.gif
, Whereas Ryan could if we had some long term injury, especially off the rookie list. Suprisingly, especially now, getting rid of West, Mahoney, Plunkett, Macri, Dent we haven't got many ressies midfielders who can step up. Most of the ex-fringe players like Robbins/Alvey are going to be 22 gamers next year out of necessity, because of the youth policy. So I see Ryan as a quality player, whose had some set backs for various reasons, who COULD really provide us with something in depth for the short term, if not in the first 22.

About Terry and the youth plicy and all the midfielders, i can SORT OF see where he is coming from (but i don't agree with it). So i'm prepared to give him the couple of years he needs to see this "grand plan" through, (as long as they aren't disastrous). I think he might be planning a revolution of the game by 2004 BTW... Only explanation I could think of
biggrin.gif
. The one good thing about this policy though, is that he's showing that he's commiting to the long haul. If he leaves us in the lurch during that time.... you're better off not being here for those couple of months becasue it will NOT be pretty!!!

BTW- you don't want to spoil the kids, having them expecting premierships every year because of so many early on, so forget about the Bombers, North and Hawks mate..... the Doggies
wink.gif
!!!!

Thanks guys, Westy thanks for the offer, I will have to get back on here somehow. That's a good point about the PS2 Grendel, it's got DVD capabilities as well so that may be a goer "kids I'll write your Santa letters for you
biggrin.gif
" . My sisters on-line so I may have free-load off her.

Westy that sounds reasonable re- Pagan, I was under the impression you had some guys in the reserves to come through, forgot M.West (he could have been anything that guy)was gone.

Funny you should talk about my kids being spoilt. My oldest is with the Dons but also likes soccer. I encouraged him to like Man U. because they'd just won the Champions league and you see alot of them on the tv, plus I like them as well. So that was fine until I told him Real won the latest one, now he pretends he's Luis Figo playing for Real, my God, 7 out of 8 Premier league titles wasn't enough for him
confused.gif
. I'm hoping it's just a soccer thing, as he's endured taunts from his cousins (Dogs) along the lines of "James who" up until this season. I brain-washed him early with "James is the Best", he's 6 so he'd hardly seen him play until this year.

Now that he's more aware of team success and failure, I hope he sticks with the Bombers when they have a lean year in 2003 after their "threepeat" in 2002
wink.gif
. It will be a testing time for him
biggrin.gif

Cheers guys.

Westy - Matt Clucas had an outstanding season with East Fremantle this year with a number of BOGs and was very close in the Sandover Medal counting. I think Drum was stupid to play players like McManus over Clucas who can play good footy and make good use when he was the ball.

Interesting to see the outcome
smile.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Pagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back