Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
HFC.LFC.LAL.LAD.SF49.BB
quoted from a hawk supporters that knows his stuff

I was talking with a member of Eagles recruiting staff last week.
They rated Swallow very highly last year, only didn't select him because they had Rosa rated 7 and Lecras 15 on their list on draftees.
They couldn't believe thge Dockers were drafting squibs like Stribling and Copping with late picks when they'd had a good look at the kid.
Nothing has changed for them but now they won't have the opportunity to take him.
FWIW they rate fellow EF boy Ryder as the best prospect in a very even draft.
Oh and 2006 is shaping as an absolute bonanza draft (mentioned Gumbleton, Jetta and Gibbs as could be anything).

C'mon guys, we all know that Freo don't take locals. Anyone from the East has to be better than WA boys. Especially if they are slow, short people that others have overlooked.
Seriously though, Freo do overlook local talent consistently.
Swallow or Clarke from EF should have been drafted. Both are talked about as first round choices this year.
For whatever reason, Freo do not sem to take kids from South or East - which the supporters would love. Yet the Eagles have reaped a rich harvest.
There are at least 4 from East who will go this year. Hopefully one or two down the road to Freo.

I rate our recruiting staff very highly. Their work over the past few seasons has been outstanding.

I think alot of clubs were suprised that the dockers drafted stribling and copping. Both Swallow and Toovey seemed pretty obvious choices and their were homegrown.

Pafloyul said:
Yes, guys, but once you put yourself in that draft pool your fair game, Freo's error was the error of fifteen other clubs as well.

yes you are right there. I assume bottom aged players can be picked up in the pre season draft and port went for ware instead, who in turn had a knee reconstruction so hindsight says we were wrong and one will be able to argue until the cows come home as to if we were right or wrong at the time.

swallow was goin to the eagles but they took smith instead

will not last 10picks this draft

ryder, swallow - 1st rd
kennedy, clark - 2nd rds
ibbotson, conway- possibly later

EF has done it again

And Freo stuffed up big time by drafting Mundy instead of Matthew Moody. And we stuffed up taking Peake with our father-son. And we stuffed up by re-drafting Crowley.

All those boys go ok and we were critisied by people for all of them.

Its always hit and miss with drafting and Freo has done extremely well over the last 5-6 years and love to compare it with any teams efforts over the same period.

Hey guys dont usally post in this area but i work in S.A and work with a Scout selector for Adelaide crows. He was at the 18s carnival as well as in Perth resently to see a few talents over there. He is quite adament that mitchel clark is so over-rate its not funny. He compared it to a guy draft in the late 90s that was taken in the top bracket who never did dilly squat. but the name has passed me. He reckons the kid is a sook and doesnt look like he even tries. He did say that he had the height and skill but afl footy you need to be menally straong and Mitch Clark is not. That apparently is the feeling getting around with pleny of club scouts..... they all rate Ryder and Kennedy though........will be interesting to see.............

researcher said:
Hey guys dont usally post in this area but i work in S.A and work with a Scout selector for Adelaide crows. He was at the 18s carnival as well as in Perth resently to see a few talents over there. He is quite adament that mitchel clark is so over-rate its not funny. He compared it to a guy draft in the late 90s that was taken in the top bracket who never did dilly squat. but the name has passed me. He reckons the kid is a sook and doesnt look like he even tries. He did say that he had the height and skill but afl footy you need to be menally straong and Mitch Clark is not. That apparently is the feeling getting around with pleny of club scouts..... they all rate Ryder and Kennedy though........will be interesting to see.............

i really dont think those comments on Clark are fair at all, he consistently plays for East Fremantle League team which is an amazing achievement for an 18year old. AFL scouts look for good players but also players they can develop, Clark is a player with great skill, height and pace and with the right development could easily turn into a great AFL player.

Before you talk crap do some research, its obvious your Adelaide scout mate hasnt!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CATS2005 Mate have you pesonally seen him play for Easts Fremantle Seniors? by all accounts they werent travelling all that well. Ryder and Kennedy apparently started to dominate that league and clark was in and out. Swallow was apparently dropped from the league team as well.

Did you see him at the State 18 carnival mate?

No Doubt he may have the talent but the Mental part is not there with him..... Commonly known as a sook......

Sezzac1 said:
The propaganda and mis-information machines are slowly cranking up and we are still months away from 'D' day. :rolleyes:

Yep.

Looks like Mitch Clark is about to become the victim of a full-on Lance Franklin style Chinese whispers campaign.

researcher Mate, yes i'v seen him play nearly every game this year. I also was in Melbourne to watch the State 18's Carnival. He didnt have the best carnival but still did many good things and showed much promise. Everyone seems to think the state 18s carnival is the make or break to be drafted, not the case at all.

Give the kid a break he is 18 and playing his first games against players with 3 times his experience and physical development. If he had been playing Colts when your scout mate watched him then he would have seen how much he can dominate

He will only get better as he gets bigger, stronger and more mentally prepared.

Cat2005 do u play with him mate? I never said he wasnt a talent mate...... just he has a tendersy to be lasy and mentally not strong enough.... whether thats because he wasnt having a good day or whether he isnt mentally strong enough time will tell....Im sure you wouldnt see ryder or kennedy dropping there bundle...of what ive seen from videos those two keep W.A in the states 18 carnival..... and i do agree the state 18s is not the make or break of someones career... but it is an oppurtunity to assert yourself and for the players that may of slipped under the radar its an oppurtunity to show your talents and put your hand up

researcher, i understand that he may drop his head now and then but he has had so much pressure put on him, heaven forbid he miss a mark or give away a 50m penalty.

When players are put under this much pressure to perform everyone is far too critical of their mistakes and even the good things they do.

CAT2005 I relise the pressure the kid has been under and he isnt the first highly regarded player to bomb out at the 18s carnival..... But it is well known from his coach now down to his junior coachs that he was either very good or very bad.... maybe its the expectation we all have on him. he will definately get drafted some where but where and who to could be a surprise

do u play with him cat2005

Remove this Banner Ad

ryder keeps climbing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back