Roast Sack Horse

Sack Longmire tomorrow?

• yes

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • monday

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Horse is a good coach but his Achilles Heel is being able to adapt.

We have lost the same way for several weeks now and he is still talking about needing to even contests. I’m not sure he realises that other teams have worked us out, and our players are therefore playing at a disadvantage in every contest, and are also run down and losing confidence week on week (which does not take responsibility off the players for todays appalling result).

One thing Horse often says, and he is right, is that it is never one factor. We have had injuries, players got ahead of themselves, players got tired, key players re-signed on long contracts (which may have let some of the air out of the balloon) - but I reckon the biggest factor is that teams have worked us out.

Which isn’t really that surprising, as we were scoring at will for a big chunk of the year and making everyone else look like fools. All opposition teams have been watching us closely and watching what has worked and hasn’t worked for other teams. The formula to counter our success is now well know.

We need to adapt.

Horse needs to find the headspace to do so. He could consider giving big cox the lead for a couple of weeks while he spends time analysing the game plan and seeking input from the players, coaches and external experts without the pressure of preparing for the next week. Big cox might get the short term “new coach” bounce while Horse would gain the headspace to mix things up.

Horse is a good coach but his Achilles Heel is being able to adapt.

We have lost the same way for several weeks now and he is still talking about needing to even contests. I’m not sure he realises that other teams have worked us out, and our players are therefore playing at a disadvantage in every contest, and are also run down and losing confidence week on week (which does not take responsibility off the players for todays appalling result).

One thing Horse often says, and he is right, is that it is never one factor. We have had injuries, players got ahead of themselves, players got tired, key players re-signed on long contracts (which may have let some of the air out of the balloon) - but I reckon the biggest factor is that teams have worked us out.

Which isn’t really that surprising, as we were scoring at will for a big chunk of the year and making everyone else look like fools. All opposition teams have been watching us closely and watching what has worked and hasn’t worked for other teams. The formula to counter our success is now well know.

We need to adapt.

Horse needs to find the headspace to do so. He could consider giving big cox the lead for a couple of weeks while he spends time analysing the game plan and seeking input from the players, coaches and external experts without the pressure of preparing for the next week. Big cox might get the short term “new coach” bounce while Horse would gain the headspace to mix things up.
I don't think teams have 'figured us out'. It's not like we had a gameplan that port we're trying to pick apart, we weren't even able to attempt our gameplan. The last two weeks we've struggled to string two passes together - that's not other teams figuring us out, that's us just straight up not turning up.

To say a team has figured us out is giving them too much credit. Majority of teams have been pretty average this year, I highly doubt they were all of a sudden capable of executing their game to a tee whilst also dismantling ours to purposely planned perfection in the process. No team or individual today is that good

Q1 and Q2 so many backward or sideways kicks in the backline.

We would've tried to bite off a short kick into the corridor in the past. It's 100% instruction not to go for it but it's our playstyle.

By they time they adjusted game was already over.

When we did try to bite off those short kicks they got cut off and Port kicked goals.

I don't think teams have 'figured us out'. It's not like we had a gameplan that port we're trying to pick apart, we weren't even able to attempt our gameplan. The last two weeks we've struggled to string two passes together - that's not other teams figuring us out, that's us just straight up not turning up.

To say a team has figured us out is giving them too much credit. Majority of teams have been pretty average this year, I highly doubt they were all of a sudden capable of executing their game to a tee whilst also dismantling our to planned perfection in the process.
Teams figuring out our game plan does not explain a 112 point loss.

Teams figuring out our game plan does not explain a 112 point loss.
As someone mentioned earlier, Richmond had the same gameplan for 4 years, and despite everyone knowing exactly what they were going to do they couldn't be stopped because they played it well, and stuck to it, trusting it to work aslong as they showed up. And if someone wanted to challenge them, they'd just do it better.

Our first half of the season gameplan is the answer to winning the premiership - clearly the coaches have veered away from that in an attempt to adjust things since the poor starts and close finish chatter. And it has clearly ****ed us as they have veered so far off track that the players are now lost as to what to do instead of focusing on just playing footy.

The problem isnt Horse not doing anything, it's Horse doing too much.

Last edited:
And therein lies the problem. If someone in the inner sanctum doesn't know, then who would?

Yeah but random people here saw this shit months ago (I didnt so i won't coach)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does look like Horse is shocked at the team just hitting 1 big brick wall and it sounds like he has no answer. Probably expected greater things since Mills and Parker returned and its just not happening.

From 13-1 to this...

Horse looked defeated at the press conference - basically has no idea what to do and why it's happening . You can see by the look on his face of anguish and worry. Looks like a coach under the pump
No offence to any of the journos who turn up to the weekly pressers at HQ, but they never seem to ask the hard questions - like eg. why did you sub Corey off, why is Wicks in the team after an ordinary run of games, why name Joel on Thurs night if you were just going to manage him anyway, etc.?

Things are never as good or as bad as they look
Actually they are 100% as bad. At the game watching impromptu meetings between Adam’s Parker and heeney at half back trying to work out what was occurring, watching mccartin trying to explain to McDonald where he needed to position himself

an

completely lost and have no idea

And that’s just the players. The coaching staff who have been unable to arrest a situation where ever single week we are giving up ten shots to one should be thinking it is worse than it looks because until these last two matches we’ve been simply lucky to avoid the defeats that those quarters have been foreshadowing

Actually they are 100% as bad. At the game watching impromptu meetings between Adam’s Parker and heeney at half back trying to work out what was occurring, watching mccartin trying to explain to McDonald where he needed to position himself

an

And that’s just the players. The coaching staff who have been unable to arrest a situation where ever single week we are giving up ten shots to one should be thinking it is worse than it looks because until these last two matches we’ve been simply lucky to avoid the defeats that those quarters have been foreshadowing

Thats just :cute:

an

Mccartin wouldn't have to explain where to stand if mastermind selected an adequate key defender instead of an undersized,unathletic francis and resorted to moving his ff back....2 weeks in a row

bizarrely enough where last night I was agreeing with this because of my disappointment and frustration, my wasted trip to Adelaide and my utter embarrassment at watching our afl academy team be asked to play against an afl team, I’m genuinely coming around to it today.

I think he has to go at the end of the season if the results of the last few weeks are matched going forwards. The failures over the past 8 weeks on team selection (Parker plays reserves mills doesn’t was so favourites, the dropping of Campbell because the problem has been our small outside players and not the utterly uncompetitive key midfielders and the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing) and the inability to arrest a slide with the result that the ball is just an endless series of shots on goal by our opponents is enough to make me conclude that he’s done.

Hes got six weeks here. I said after last week that I can’t see where the next win comes from. The next three matches are all against flaky flawed teams. Our true Achilles heel of really good tall forwards don’t really exist against these teams. But if he loses the next three he should be paid out.

The players look to the coaches for answers, and last night got none apart from the usual more effort. The problem is that there was little effort so Horse is right in part at least. But without answers the players will lose confidence in the coach and it is all downhill from there.

The question is how did it get to this. I get the impression something behind the scenes has broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Horse

Back