Roast Sack Horse

Sack Longmire tomorrow?

• yes

Votes: 70 64.2%
  • monday

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are entitled to your view, I don't feel spoiled by the grand final embarrassment sorry.

The bruised enough is fair, but I don't think Longmire himself has said much about his own performance.

He may be reacting to exactly this, the general ‘unhappyness’ of the supporter base.

If he is, he’s probably going through a “you do better” reaction

Here’s a thing, maybe he feels most of it falls on the players but he’s getting it in the neck - that would account for a very reasonable request for supporters to ‘take a balanced view’ of what success is ?

He may be reacting to exactly this, the general ‘unhappyness’ of the supporter base.

If he is, he’s probably going through a “you do better” reaction

Here’s a thing, maybe he feels most of it falls on the players but he’s getting it in the neck - that would account for a very reasonable request for supporters to ‘take a balanced view’ ?

Who knows, I get the feeling you are correct he does think most of it falls on the players, despite being the one constant through all our finals embarrasment.

He isn't getting anything in the neck, his President and CEO both back him and deflects most of the blame to the players in his pressers.

Besides the records show basically any AFL coach could do better at this point.

Who knows, I get the feeling you are correct he does think most of it falls on the players, despite being the one constant through all our finals embarrasment.

He isn't getting anything in the neck, his President and CEO both back him and deflects most of the blame to the players in his pressers.

Besides the records show basically any AFL coach could do better at this point.
I meant ‘in the neck’ from the supporter base.

Understand - I’m not arguing his worth - but I do think he has a right to say ‘making the GF’ more often than any other team in the last 4 years is worth something.

Although maybe thats the problem….familiarity breeds contempt.

You do his job then. Because it’s people like you he believes are unreasonable….being in the GF more than any other team in the last 4 years is no skate in the park.
Making the grand finals is the problem. If we were perennial battlers you cop not winning flags. But the fact is we make more gf than anyone else and never win them is a huge failure .

There is something fundamentally wrong at the club

Making the grand finals is the problem. If we were perennial battlers you cop not winning flags. But the fact is we make more gf than anyone else and never win them is a huge failure .

There is something fundamentally wrong at the club
And something fundamentally right at the club too.

People are confused.

It's the absolute unconvincing / disinterest / laziness on grand final day that has most people offside.

Nobody wants to be St.Kilda.

But turning up without any actual desire to win the thing is a serious fundamental issue, and one that needs to be corrected.

Bar some wayward kicking from Gunston and Franklin in 2012, Horse would be 0-5 in grand finals.

And something fundamentally right at the club too.
dodgeball touche GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think horse should be sacked, that could be catastrophic for the club and I don't think he deserves that, it's a phenomenal effort to reach 5 grand finals. Also phenomenally bad to lose 3 of them by 60 points or more.. Horse should step down if he thinks that's what gives us the best chance to win a flag next year with this group of players. But if he thinks he's the best option to help us achieve that next year then I guess he won't be going anywhere.

We get there very often. Converting them seems to be the problem. Any answers?
IMO there are 3 active failures. That's not to suggest they can't win in different circumstances. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

1 - Strategy. Having a strategy of allowing the oppo to move the ball freely up the field works in the RS but the deeper in finals you go the harder it gets to go with that and win. Too much pressure on the D50. This also morphs into the centre clearance debate and the intensity of winning the ball.
2 - Set Up. Get rid of 1 of the talls up forward. Either Amartey or McLean. I wouldn't even care if they "rotated" them throughout the season, which will keep them fresher. 2-2-2 or 2-1-3 (tall-medium-small). The team has elite foot skills so make use of them.
3 - Selection. There are a number of sides to this, but the main factors are play the RS with the finals in mind and prepare so that you have as close to your best team available and fresh for the start of finals. This allows the team to get games into other players on the fringe and it will then in turn develop competition for spots.

I will add, and I hope this happens with the McVeigh signing. The VFL team needs to adopt a similar game plan to the AFL team. The clubs that have players know their role, and more importantly when they come into a team whether that be up or down they are aware of what is required from that role.

I'm going against the grain here and I will put it out there the Swans will be in the 2025 GF.
Now, IMO the club needs to get a guy in to change the style up somewhat, like what Pyke did with the offense a little while back. Horse needs to stop with this idea of playing guys 100% of the time at all costs, if you're on top, rest some players up for finals.
I have confidence this season wasn't just an aberration of finishing on top etc, this is a damn good footy team and the younger guys will all improve.
The problem is Horse is super stubborn and doesn't learn from his mistakes

You do his job then. Because it’s people like you he believes are unreasonable….being in the GF more than any other team in the last 4 years is no skate in the park.
We haven't been in the grand final more than any (all) other teams in the last 4 years though.

Brisbane made it twice, lost by 4 pts then won.

If you include 2020, Cats have been in 2, for 1 win.

Dees fans might quibble because their flag was interstate, but I reckon they and Pies fans wouldn't care that they haven't made a losing grand final to go with their flags.

No-one here is claiming they could do a better job, but to lose 4 in a row, 3 as favourites, 3 floggings where you've been thoroughly outcoached and outplayed, you deserve some criticism.

Last edited:
He is paid close to $1m a year to do it.

He has kept his job despite failure after failure
Making the grand final is definitely not a failure. The attitudes on this board are just incredibly entitled and arrogant. It’s extremely hard to make grand finals. Very disappointing to lose like we did, but the negativity on here has been shocking and completely unjustified. Ultimately, it was a fun season. We’ll go again and we will break through. Keep the faith. Don’t be such a ****ing doom monger. All this hand wringing and self immolation has been very undignified and kind of pathetic. How are you guys not seeing this?

Horse stays if he wants to. He has well and truly earned it.

Last edited:
Ultimately, it was a fun season.
Ultimately, it was a failed season.

This isn't just some social club, nor a tv show to enjoy before waiting for the next season.

It's a football club, with paying members by the way. The main aim must be to win premierships. Unless the staff or players are doing something untoward, this is what really matters. Fun and other rewarding experiences will follow the attempt to win a premiership, especially if things are going well. It is not fun to be humiliated on the biggest stage repeatedly.

I wouldn't say it's fun either, when you realise that the club can dominate, reach the final hurdle, and appear to have no approach to clear it, often completely crashing in a heap, despite promising to go away and address it several times previously.

This will be at the back of any realist fan's mind next season, regardless of our formline. If the club wants to allay those concerns, they should at least be getting advice/input from people not involved in the failures we've had, telling us what they believe went wrong, and be transparent about changes they are making (unlike past years).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Horse

Back