Roast Sack Horse

Sack Longmire tomorrow?

• yes

Votes: 70 64.2%
  • monday

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Making the grand final is definitely not a failure. The attitudes on this board are just incredibly entitled and arrogant. It’s extremely hard to make grand finals. Very disappointing to lose like we did, but the negativity on here has been shocking and completely unjustified. Ultimately, it was a fun season. We’ll go again and we will break through. Keep the faith. Don’t be such a ****ing doom monger. All this hand wringing and self immolation has been very undignified and kind of pathetic. How are you guys not seeing this?

Horse stays if he wants to. He has well and truly earned it.

He’s never going to win one simple as that

I’ve been saying it for years

He’s tactically inept and comfortable in a high paid job where he’s got no pressure because he can’t get sacked

Making the grand final is definitely not a failure. The attitudes on this board are just incredibly entitled and arrogant. It’s extremely hard to make grand finals. Very disappointing to lose like we did, but the negativity on here has been shocking and completely unjustified. Ultimately, it was a fun season. We’ll go again and we will break through. Keep the faith. Don’t be such a ****ing doom monger. All this hand wringing and self immolation has been very undignified and kind of pathetic. How are you guys not seeing this?

Horse stays if he wants to. He has well and truly earned it.

Personally I feel I have every right to be arrogant and entitled. I've followed this club loyally and passionately for many, many years and I accept how hard it is to play finals most years and make the GF so often and generally I am very proud of the club, but how anybody could not be embarrassed by last weekend stuns me.
The reactions in this thread are not simply because of the loss, it's that it appears like nothing has changed, no lessons learnt.

I moved on from the heartbreak of 2014 and 2022 and kept my positivity up, thinking that we will learn from those experiences and it won't happen again - but it did happen again, pretty much an exact replay!
After the siren went last Saturday I honestly thought I must have been dreaming because I didn't think there was any way the club would let it happen again, but unfortunately I wasn't dreaming, that horrific horror show I had just witnessed was real, for the third time in ten years!

Last week has absolutely crushed my soul, with the main reason being that no lessons appear to have been learnt from those other debacles, and I, like most of us on here, are now struggling to see how it is ever going to change.

Last week has tainted that for me, I now feel we were simply lucky. Buddy missed more than he got and Roughie couldn't kick over a jam tin 😥

I hate the way I feel about the club at the moment.
So do i .
The thing that disappoints me is things like the photo of Rampe holding hands in the team photo and a smartarse , we are better than anyone attitude . That's were Horse and Co need to be tougher

Personally I feel I have every right to be arrogant and entitled. I've followed this club loyally and passionately for many, many years and I accept how hard it is to play finals most years and make the GF so often and generally I am very proud of the club, but how anybody could not be embarrassed by last weekend stuns me.
The reactions in this thread are not simply because of the loss, it's that it appears like nothing has changed, no lessons learnt.

I moved on from the heartbreak of 2014 and 2022 and kept my positivity up, thinking that we will learn from those experiences and it won't happen again - but it did happen again, pretty much an exact replay!
After the siren went last Saturday I honestly thought I must have been dreaming because I didn't think there was any way the club would let it happen again, but unfortunately I wasn't dreaming, that horrific horror show I had just witnessed was real, for the third time in ten years!

Last week has absolutely crushed my soul, with the main reason being that no lessons appear to have been learnt from those other debacles, and I, like most of us on here, are now struggling to see how it is ever going to change.
This is exactly how I am feeling at the moment, as I said previously, my first membership of South Melbourne was a junior membership in 1964, then a bit of a gap, but coming up to 20yr membership next year, at the moment I just feel so discouraged about how this year ended for us, I did feel after 2022 we couldn’t perform when it mattered the most, but this year I got my hope back, but lingering in the back of my mind was, can our pretty little passing game ( which looks absolutely brilliant stand up in a brutal GF) so my problem now is in my mind at the moment, no matter how good we go thru the season next year, I will have these little demons in my head saying, No we can’t win the GF if we make it, I am not a negative person, but this GF lost has left me just numb.

Ehh, I made my peace with it in the second quarter. It was clear Brisbane were operating at a much higher level and had us beat all over the ground. The thing is, it wasn't even a massive surprise. It became obvious there was a very soft underbelly to the team when our form fell off a cliff in the second half of the season. Teams that lose by 112 points to Port Adelaide rarely win grand finals. So I knew we'd be lucky just to make it and ultimately found it relatively easy to put this one behind us. Brisbane are clearly better atm. Yes, we certainly should have fought a lot more, but honestly, the margin of the loss doesn't matter to me. It's not like percentage mattered anymore. Losing by 10 or by 60 in a final leads to the same outcome.

I'm definitely not embarrassed. We won a lot of games and played some scintillating footy. It was fun. Now we go again. We'll break through eventually. It's inevitable.

Last edited:
Ehh, I made my peace with it in the second quarter. It was clear Brisbane were operating at a much higher level and had us beat all over the ground. The thing is, it wasn't even a massive surprise. It became obvious there was a very soft underbelly to the team when our form fell off a cliff in the second half of the season. Teams that lose by 112 points to Port Adelaide rarely win grand finals. So I knew we'd be lucky just to make it and ultimately found it relatively easy to put this one behind us. Brisbane are clearly better atm. Yes, we certainly should have fought a lot more, but honestly, the margin of the loss doesn't matter to me. It's not like percentage mattered anymore. Losing by 10 or by 60 in the final leads to the same outcome.

I'm definitely not embarrassed. We won a lot of games and played some scintillating footy. It was fun. Now we go again. We'll break through eventually. It's inevitable.
To some people, there might be a difference between the coaching and play of a team that wins or even loses a grand final by 10, in a hard fought, disciplined game, versus one who repeatedly gets flogged and shows the coaches don't know what to do.

If the club is at peace with it and not embarrassed, they should be sacked, the lot of them. They have no place. They can go coach/play social footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ehh, I made my peace with it in the second quarter. It was clear Brisbane were operating at a much higher level and had us beat all over the ground. The thing is, it wasn't even a massive surprise. It became obvious there was a very soft underbelly to the team when our form fell off a cliff in the second half of the season. Teams that lose by 112 points to Port Adelaide rarely win grand finals. So I knew we'd be lucky just to make it and ultimately found it relatively easy to put this one behind us. Brisbane are clearly better atm. Yes, we certainly should have fought a lot more, but honestly, the margin of the loss doesn't matter to me. It's not like percentage mattered anymore. Losing by 10 or by 60 in a final leads to the same outcome.

History and life in general tells us we won't a flag anytime soon , doing the same thing over and over again

Listened to Adam Simpson on my run today.

Interesting he said when he took over the Eagles they improved pretty quickly he could tell the group were ready for a new coach, a new message and were excited. He says it's similar now and he could sense the players at West Coast were tired of him and his coaches .

Point being even the best have to know when the group need a fresh voice in leadership .

Stubborn coach doesn't see this, at this point it's more about his own drive than the clubs

Interesting he said when he took over the Eagles they improved pretty quickly he could tell the group were ready for a new coach, a new message and were excited. He says it's similar now and he could sense the players at West Coast were tired of him and his coaches .

Point being even the best have to know when the group need a fresh voice in leadership .

Stubborn coach doesn't see this, at this point it's more about his own drive than the clubs
True. That goes to show that the club needs to step in and make that call because despite Simpson knowing that, he still had to be sacked rather than step aside on his own accord.

He may want a break and he might demand too much, but he's an option to bring in as a midfield coach. Was Hawks midfield and forwards coach at various points between 2010 and 2013, has experience getting an interstate team to a flag (against a Vic club playing at home), including after a decent loss a few years earlier.

I think the Eagles just cooked their list, similar to Hawks for a bit, North, Tigers etc...tried to keep the window open too long. And as you say, that set of players just got tired (as well as being a mix of kids and cooked senior players).

Even just in an advisory role over the off season, some midfield strategy work, how to approach grand finals etc.

True. That goes to show that the club needs to step in and make that call because despite Simpson knowing that, he still had to be sacked rather than step aside on his own accord.

Yeah he said something realising that now he has stepped away

He may want a break and he might demand too much, but he's an option to bring in as a midfield coach. Was Hawks midfield and forwards coach at various points between 2010 and 2013, has experience getting an interstate team to a flag (against a Vic club playing at home), including after a decent loss a few years earlier.

I think the Eagles just cooked their list, similar to Hawks for a bit, North, Tigers etc...tried to keep the window open too long. And as you say, that set of players just got tired (as well as being a mix of kids and cooked senior players).

Even just in an advisory role over the off season, some midfield strategy work, how to approach grand finals etc.

Going off course a bit sorry but he did talk about their list issues and the covid affect , injuries , difficulties being loyal to premiership players.

Worth a listen

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Horse

Back