Remove this Banner Ad

rogernumber10

Rookie
Oct 8, 2007
eastern flank, parade end
AFL Club
Geelong
Cut-down of AFL media release

AFL Chief Executive Andrew Demetriou today said the AFL wished to pass on its condolences to the family of Joe Sellwood, after the former Geelong player passed away last night at the age of 96.
Sellwood had been the game's oldest living premiership player, having been a member of Geelong's 1937 side that won the Grand Final against Collingwood.
In all, Joe Sellwood played in 181 games for Geelong and Victoria between 1930-45, albeit that Geelong withdrew from the VFL competition for two full seasons in 1942-43. Sellwood also worked in essential industry during the Second World War, further reducing his playing availability in 1939-41 and 1944-45.

:eek::(
Makes the flag even more special...
Actually kind of odd because after we won it I thought of him and I was happy that he was alive to see us win it.

Was he the fellow that Moons was spending time with? I believe there was an article in one of the papers during the finals...

yes, wore 21 back when he played and hence the link with Mooney. Was given honorary life membership this year of the 200 club, because his career was interrupted by the war. Was going to be a guest of honour at this year's GF in the official function, but wasn't well enough to make the day and stayed home to watch with the family. Was in great health until only a few weeks ago.

Condolensces to both his familly and to moons, who apparently had become quite close to him. I believe he was the oldest living premiership player for us.

It was fantastic though that he lived long enough to see one more cat triumph

The initial feeling is always sadness and thats to be expected...I offer my condolences to Joe's family and friends.

It's also a celebration of a truly great lifetime for one man and all those he came into contact with. Lets hope we all make it to 96 and get to bow out watching the mighty cats notch up another flag.

The initial feeling is always sadness and thats to be expected...I offer my condolences to Joe's family and friends.

It's also a celebration of a truly great lifetime for one man and all those he came into contact with. Lets hope we all make it to 96 and get to bow out watching the mighty cats notch up another flag.

Well said.

He's brother had just passed away about two weeks before this, which makes this even worse.
Very sad news, my father is friends with him though and said once Joe saw the Cats won the premiership he was going to go out happy.

Finished on good terms in that regard, best wishes to the family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we don't have to live till we're 96 to see another Cats flag. :p

Agree with everything you said there though. :thumbsu:

RIP Joe, seemed like a really good bloke. I'm glad he stuck it out to see the boys win a flag. I'm sure he would have loved it. Now if he can look down on us next year it would be great :thumbsu:

He was a great servant to the footy club, and he will be missed.

Here is some for information;

Joe Sellwood, who was among the handful of top level footballers to have been born in New Zealand, was a familiar and formidable presence in Geelong teams during the course of no fewer than fourteen seasons. Recruited from Wunghnu in the Goulburn Valley Football Association he made his VFL debut in the Cats' round 7 game against Richmond at Corio Oval in 1930, and impressed with 3 of his team's 9 goals in a 1 point loss. He made just 3 further senior appearances that year, and managed only 3 games the following season when Geelong went top, but in 1932 he became a key member of the side. Renowned for his strength, prodigious kicking, and tremendous marking ability, especially in wet weather, Sellwood was equally at home at centre half back, centre half forward, or on the ball. Selected to mind Collingwood sharpshooter Ron Todd in the 1937 grand final (reviewed here) he was given the runaround early, but after being shifted to centre half forward he emerged as one of the key factors in the Cats' eventual 32 point win.

Sellwood continued to play with Geelong until the opening round of 1945 (missing the entire 1942 and 1943 seasons as the Cats went into temporary abeyance owing to the war), by which time he had played a total of 180 VFL games and kicked 97 goals. He also played 1 interstate game for the VFL.

JSellwoodGeel.jpg

Found this quote from an article in today's paper amazing.

PETER Kells visited The Belmont aged care home to watch the 2007 AFL grand final with Joe Sellwood, the grandfather of his wife, Sue.
As they settled down for the game he asked the Cat patriarch how much he figured they would win by. The decisive prediction of 121 points took him by surprise but there was no estimating Joe Sellwood's intuition after eight decades living football.
He was two points wide of the extravagant 119-point margin.

Bet none of us got that close to the final margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back