Safeway....

Remove this Banner Ad

A word of advice from a weary worker.

Like many of the above posters, I applied for a job at Woolworths when I was 14 (could work down here at 15 then). Group assessment, involved lots of paperwork. After 10 minutes I was tapping my pen looking around. Went to the door where the manager was sitting, and was told I they couldn't help me with any questions. I looked bemusedly at the manager and gave him my paperwork. 100% in less than 1/5 of the time. I had the job before others had even finished the inital test!

Was put onto a 'management development pathway' - essentially it would now be a traineeship. Given a years worth of workbooks, and 200 hours to complete. Took me a good 8 hours to do, and when I 'graduated' they were told they had to pay me. Thought I was on a roll, but 200 * $6 was still bugger all.

Then they put me on an 'executive development' pathway - one day a week in head-office, one day a week running a department, 3 days normal work. Hardest thing was trying to get customers to believe a (no doubt snotty-nosed) 15 year old was in fact the most senior manager on the floor.

Long story short, after 3 years of working my arse off for little pay, I finally told them to get stuffed when I was turned down for the Store Managers job. I'd been doing it in an acting capacity for three months while they fielded applications, on my normal wage.

When I left I was earning $18 an hour, working as Acting Store Manager, as well as my normal position of Grocery Manager, and weekend Front End manager. They replaced me with a Store Manager ($32), Assistant Manager ($23), and Grocery Manager ($19). I was good, but probably not THAT good.

Looking back now I would find it hilarious if it wasn't so sad. I was the most dedicated worker, always early, skipping breaks, working late, taking additional responsibility, etc. All on minimum wage.

I have friends from back then who still work in the same store I did 15 years ago, more or less in the same positions as back then. Funny thing is, all the 'good' employees (work hard, responsible, etc) have gone. The alcoholics, pranksters, and 'misappropriaters' are those remaining.

Don't let my story put you off, it's a great start into working life, and these days you need experience to get started in many employers eyes, but for god's sake - don't define yourselves by it. It's a job, it's $$$ (not much mind you), but (unless you are unable to do anything else), it's not a career.

Thats an interesting post
Im a Store Mgr at Safeway
My package is well in excess of 100k a year (Car, Options, super, base wage, bonus etc)
I would only do 50 -55 hours a week (no more)
Never ever heard or seen an 18 year old acting SM... extremely rare to see a SM under 30.
You say only drunks and ratbags remain??
My staff are Sharp. Extremely hard working and dedicated to the job they do.
Its just an interesting point of view you hold Simon.

Your last point, saying unless you can't do anything else its not a career is utter bullshit....
im a qualified Panel Beater who chose to leave that dirty prick of enviroment for a better one.

Thats an interesting post
Im a Store Mgr at Safeway
My package is well in excess of 100k a year (Car, Options, super, base wage, bonus etc)
I would only do 50 -55 hours a week (no more)
Never ever heard or seen an 18 year old acting SM... extremely rare to see a SM under 30.
You say only drunks and ratbags remain??
My staff are Sharp. Extremely hard working and dedicated to the job they do.
Its just an interesting point of view you hold Simon.

Your last point, saying unless you can't do anything else its not a career is utter bullshit....
im a qualified Panel Beater who chose to leave that dirty prick of enviroment for a better one.

Safeway is woolies right? I know things would have changed (probably quite considerably) in the 10 or so years since I left, but at Roelf Vos (tassie's woolworths equivalent, now rebadged as woolies everywhere) and in particular the store I was at, was tiny (I think we had around 30 full-time equivalent in staff, half of which would be registers).

60K ($30 an hour) for the store manager back then would probably be close to 80-90K now with inflation.

I wasn't eligible for anything for my roles, my agreements were that I got junior wages only until I turned 18. I was young and naive, so no fault on their behalf I guess. Only the 'bigwigs' got company cars back then. These days I think most have them 'packaged' into their salaries (as I see more around).

And the 'drunks and ratbags' I'm talking about are the adults who have put 10-15 years in and are still 'normal' floor staff with no leadership roles/etc. And I guess that's where my last point is headed. The 'good employees' that have moved on are probably those that moved into management or other semi-professional careers.

Not saying you can't progress, but the 'wall' I was faced (told it would take 7 years of study to be qualified to do the job I was allready doing) became insurmountable.

another update for those tracking my progress :p

unsuccessful for the last job for the seafood, was told there were several good people going for the job

applied for the new ivanhoe store, rocked up to the groupie asses and nailed it

enjoying it so far, tho the novilty will wear off no doubt.
loving the extra $$$
Cup day was awesome pay! :thumbsu:

I'm just around the corner from there Nick, I will give you a wink when I'm walking through with the pockets full. ;)

cause it was the worst job in living history! haha
doing dishes for one of the busiest cafes in our area, no thanks!

haha

Which Cafe was that Nick?

another update for those tracking my progress :p

unsuccessful for the last job for the seafood, was told there were several good people going for the job

applied for the new ivanhoe store, rocked up to the groupie asses and nailed it

Watch out for the new Meat Manager. He's a bit of a d!ck. :)

When do you guys open?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im young and work on the registers sometimes, and it is fairly easy just know all your variaties of produce and you should be fine have a look around the produce dept before and after your shift and you should be fine.

Im young and work on the registers sometimes, and it is fairly easy just know all your variaties of produce and you should be fine have a look around the produce dept before and after your shift and you should be fine.
I don't even do that. I just remember the codes and if the ask me about the price I call my supervisor.

The worst item to scan...those cat food tins (cause they always get about 20 different flavours). Oh yeah, and pumpkin never scans for some reason.

Me and my mates applied there months ago yet they havnt got back to any of us and they still say they have positions open.
Got a job at Coles and after a month Safeway rang back for an interview.... they took ages

I don't even do that. I just remember the codes and if the ask me about the price I call my supervisor.

The worst item to scan...those cat food tins (cause they always get about 20 different flavours). Oh yeah, and pumpkin never scans for some reason.

I think i learnt a trick u scan it then chuck it on the scales?

I think i learnt a trick u scan it then chuck it on the scales?

If you are at Safeway or woolworths for that matter you shouldn't be scanning pumpkins! Put them on the scale, look up pumpkins and press the touch screen? I don't get why your scanning it?

If you are at Safeway or woolworths for that matter you shouldn't be scanning pumpkins! Put them on the scale, look up pumpkins and press the touch screen? I don't get why your scanning it?

Would have thought he meant tinned pumpkin.

Yeah it was just some trick that someone taught us. And soupaman wondered why pumpkins wouldnt scan so thats what i said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Safeway....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back