Safeway....

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are at Safeway or woolworths for that matter you shouldn't be scanning pumpkins! Put them on the scale, look up pumpkins and press the touch screen? I don't get why your scanning it?
I work at coles, so we are different. We have our scales where you scan stuff, not seperate. Pumpkin has already been weighed, and given a price (with barcode) beforehand so we can just scan it. For some reason though it never scans, which is very frustrating.

How did everyone on here apply for safeway? I've tried online a couple times and just get some stupid error halfway through. Would it be easier to just drop off my resume at a register or something?

If your under 18, for the whole day induction I got paid like 7.50 an hour
For the rest of my training I got paid like 9.50 an hour, which is what I am on now, but that goes up after 3 monthes and when I turn 17

I have worked for a while in the retail game. It is OK for a while but not something to make a career of. I'll tell you of my experience in the industry.

I worked in a service station for one of the big chains. You know when the guy behind the counter asks you if you want a chocolate? That is called up-selling and they set % targets that must be achieved or you get your arse kicked. You must ask every single customer - no exceptions and even though they know it makes the customers shitty and get you abused you still must do it (Then they'll advertise how much they value customer service - lol)

I have a regular job elsewhere now but have stayed on the books at my old job for a little pocket money now and then. The % required when I started there a few years ago was 4% it has been going up steadily and has now reached 10%. That means that for every 10 sales the poor operator MUST sell 1 item off a specific list of around 15. Remember that when you keep going back again and again because you forgot something.

Customers - you will get some great customers who will smile and talk and be nice. More often though you will get people who view you as a servant who is dumb as evidenced by your job in retail. They will talk down to you, expect you to be their slave regardless of what your actual job is. For example various customers went bananas at me because I wouldn't have a look at their car and fix it - silly me for recommending the RAA instead of myself who has virtually no knowledge of the working of motor vehicles whatsoever, I'm not a mechanic.

Customers also believe that the number of rules, safety procedures and laws that they need to obey is relative to the number of years they have been a customer of that particular company, e.g. for a petrol station.

"I have been coming here for X years, and I can smoke/use my mobile/fill cans without regard to static electricity if I want to"

My advice is to stay there while in high school but when you finish start looking elsewhere. Also while in High School don't let them detract from your studies or your life because they will want that.

I work at Coles, used to be on registers now in produce.
I agree with what Farcanal said, if you are good enough/want to make a living out of it you can definitely be successful. My store manager camne over from SA and is earning $100k+ per year, not to mention company car/petrol and his living arrangements being taken care of.
That being said, it's good enough for me at the moment but once my Uni course has finished i'll be getting the hell out of there.
I've made some great mates there and while prob keep some of em for life.

If your under 18, for the whole day induction I got paid like 7.50 an hour
For the rest of my training I got paid like 9.50 an hour, which is what I am on now, but that goes up after 3 monthes and when I turn 17

you got ripped! must be u-17 rates then, pretty sure i was not paid that little when i did my 1st induction at 17 unless you did yours in 1976

Hey Nick.

Which servo did you work at? I've been at one for six years and am just finishing writing a book on my experiences (I worked almost exclusively graveyards on weekends). Am always on the look out for people who may have some really good stories about their experiences working in servos, so if you have any and you want to see them in print then let me know.

Oh, and with the up-selling, I have never pestered a person once in six years, unless it would actually benefit them or save them money, which, wasn't too often. I only did it a few times when I was training. Last time I looked, I was dead last in my entire region. And I work for one of the big ones..

I too worked for one of the big ones but I won't identify them on here. I have many a tale about servo life however. I'll see if I can get around to sharing some of them some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey im 16 and looking for a job at safeway and i need some ideas for a resume. cheers:thumbsu:

Bullshit.
It's not a major life long job so it doesn't matter if you get caught making shit up.

Bullshit and then kill it at the group interview.
Remember you are selling yourself. Make sure you talk but don't over power others. Raise your opinion on a matter and take on board someone else's even if you disagree.

Seriously there are some dead shits working at safeway. If you have half a brain you will be all right.

Bullshit.
It's not a major life long job so it doesn't matter if you get caught making shit up.

Bullshit and then kill it at the group interview.
Remember you are selling yourself. Make sure you talk but don't over power others. Raise your opinion on a matter and take on board someone else's even if you disagree.

Seriously there are some dead shits working at safeway. If you have half a brain you will be all right.
I don't think you even have to try that hard. Just contribute and you're in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Safeway....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back