SALADA/VladFL: Slap on the wrist. - STRICTLY ESSENDON SUPPORTERS ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know he plays the fool for entertainment? He is actually a really cluey guy. Knows his stuff, I'm more than happy for him to support us. It of course means nothing to whether we get off but either does any of the crap anyone has written about us so may as well listen to something positive.

No he's not.

Barrett is guessing like the rest of us. Seriously Barrett just makes stuff up so he has something to say on the show. May as well pluck out a random audience member and ask their opinion.

No he's not.

Barrett is guessing like the rest of us. Seriously Barrett just makes stuff up so he has something to say on the show. May as well pluck out a random audience member and ask their opinion.

Like Barrett's claim of the massive wedge between Jobe/players and the coaches...clearly confirmed by Hirdy's scathing attack on Jobe in his presser today (not).

Is this the 'it's allowed therefore it's approved' line of reasoning with the therapeutic good regulations ?
Pretty much. Basically we would take ASADA to court because in a court of law, AOD is not illegal, therefore in the law's eyes, we have done nothing wrong.

It sounds flimsy to me, but ASADA have admitted it would actually be hard to prosecute. This is probably why I'm a science teacher, not a lawyer; I'm clueless with this stuff.

Even better, lets all go to Whitten Oval next Thursday, find Fossil, and hold him hostage until ASADA drop all charges.
Anyone else got stupid ideas?

That seems to be your domain :p

Relax...Essendon will argue that AOD is legal in this country for Therapeutic use. As many have said, in this Country who can get AOD prescribed from a doctor if administered by a compound chemist. By successfully arguing this it will dispute the argument that the drug is banned under the s0 clause. Then they will argue that AOD is not a performance enhancing drug. Anyone who research this substance knows it is a cosmetic and is used in recover of injury ligament and damaged cartilage.

Cocaine is listed as a damn PED for crying out loud...how many players are snorting that shit and escaping any press. I am fine with the illicit drug policy by the way but this example shows the AFL is not bound by this joke of an organisation. The NBA is not part of WADA...they have caught more people using PED's than WADA ever has. The Athletic Commissions in the USA have caught more steroid cheats than WADA.

That being said, Jobe had no reason to be so honest at this stage. All it does is stir up the sheep bringing unwanted heat on the players, coaches and supporters.

Question for ANT555

I agree with you that the club will take legal action if ASADA issues infraction notices - Under this basis I assume that the players can play until the result of the court case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sammy's defense of us is rubbish though. He's just another entitled right wing prick who made shit loads of money by playing footy, "business deals" and making an arse of himself on telly.

Some of the stuff he said up to now was ok but tonight he was just rabbitting in about players not having to ask anyone other than the doctor.

He's just a contrarian and that political rant above means that he's suspicious of any regulatory body. Like all entitled right wing pricks he thinks the world should operate on his instincts.

Now wondering if Richard Ings is Teffy:

Richard Ings@ringsau
4h
@Late_Mail_Speci @doclarkins school boy mistake by ACC drafters. I would hope one not based on ASADA advice. WADA are uncompromising on AOD

ACC don't mention S0 in their ASADA-briefed report = ACC's schoolboy mistake

The guy's a total douchebag. I followed him on twitter for a while just to see what he said. In the end, I couldn't stand his diatribe and unfollowed him. He actually made strong judgements about the whole affair and then admitted he had no idea about Australia TGA rules... talk about not doing your research.

It would probably go down something like this:

A: Ha Ha ! Watson's going to lose his Brownlow !​
B: Why ?​
A: Cos he took drugs last year and is goneski !​
B: Were they performance-enhancing ?​
A: Of course they were !​
B: How do you know ?​
A: Why else would he have taken them ?​
B: Essendon was trialling AOD9604 for injury recovery purposes​
A: Did Watson have an injury ?​
B: Not sure.​
A: It was a long course of treatment - dozens of injections - did he have an injury for that long ?​
B: I don't think so.​
A: So why did he take AOD9604 then ?​
It's at this point that I - as B - would get stumped.

Easy. "You didn't answer the question. "How do you know they're performance enhancing?"" Keep bringing it back to that. Never let flogs turn the questioning around ;)

Jobe's admission has made it crystal clear that Essendon's defence is based on claiming AOD is not banned, rather than that players haven't taken AOD.

He also mentioned that there were a surprising number of injections - I think he said 30 or 40 or somewhere in that area. If we weren't using AOD to try to enhance performance, were we using it to try to improve recovery from injury ?

The number of injections are not necessarily AOD alone. Most of them could have been, and likely were, vitamin injections. We don't even know how AOD was administered. It could have been through the cream form.

Pretty much. Basically we would take ASADA to court because in a court of law, AOD is not illegal, therefore in the law's eyes, we have done nothing wrong.

It sounds flimsy to me, but ASADA have admitted it would actually be hard to prosecute. This is probably why I'm a science teacher, not a lawyer; I'm clueless with this stuff.

ASADA probably couldn't afford the legal bill either, which would really deter them if they thought they'd be in courts big time. I hear they're pretty stretched for resources in both people and purchasing power.

Exactly. WADA can jump up and down and scream that AOD is banned but it is their regulations that get tested in court, not what some self important CEO says.

I'm curious as to whether it would be one court case for the whole club or the AFLPA and Essendon funding a case for each player, because 44 court cases would see ASADA run out of money in a hurry.

**** knows how this will turn out from here, hopefully Hird can be trusted in that there is a bunch of info not yet in the public arena that clears the club. If not then he's probably been delusional enough that we're better off without him.

I wonder who will be the first to write a book about this. If I was an Essendon player/staff the first thing I'd do if we got cleared is ask Caro to write the forward to the book just so she'd have to eat her words. She's at it again by the way, don't bother reading it, it's almost totally indistinguishable from the other "Hird Must Go" articles - suspiciously so in fact.

Easy. "You didn't answer the question. "How do you know they're performance enhancing?"" Keep bringing it back to that. Never let flogs turn the questioning around ;)
This is where I think it's back to loopholes and technicalities.

Right now no-one appears able to prove it IS performance-enhancing or that it ISN'T performance-enhancing (to scientifically accepted levels of confidence).

The point of clause S0 as I understand it is so that a player can't use some substance that hasn't been completely officially tested yet and then say 'go on, prove it's performance enhancing - ha ha you can't!' when challenged. It places the onus on players to only use properly tested substances. It also presumably is meant to ensure that sufficient data is available from testing to determine that the substance is safe.

Everyone knows that players wouldn't take a substance unless they were expecting or hoping for a particular benefit from it, so until Essendon explains what it was hoping to gain from taking AOD, we're going to lose in the court of public opinion.

Looking forward to hearing what Sam Newman thinks about Watson's interview. Apparently has some 'good news' or something that will 'relieve Essendon supporters.'

Who would have thought Sammy would be the voice of rationality in the media. **** me dead.

Can't see how he's being rational... He was completely irrational... "They trusted the doctors and took the drugs therefore should be cleared" was the gist of it...

That is the most nonsensical pile of crap I've heard in all this.

Imagine every single case of doping going down the line of - My team / sports scientist told me it was ok. Stupid argument.

To be honest Barretts comments last night which are a fair chance to be a pile of BS is extremely concerning to me as a Bombers fan.

To me the only plausible out that the Bombers have here is if they do in fact have the smoking gun which would need to be confirmation from WADA / ASADA that this ok to use. I doubt that they have that.

They have made a mistake which I can accept. They know it, we know it and the rest of the world knows it. Whilst I accept it, I also know that they were being at best devious and manipulative with regard to their approach to drugs last year. Disappointing but hard to argue.

So from here, they either cop their whack or fight it. Honestly, if they want to go down the path of challenging these legalities it completely takes the piss and the black mark that currently sits over our club will be far bigger and stay for longer.

With what we know, they've taken a drug that has been banned since 2011. On those basics they should face sanctions. Up to Essendon to produce the smoking gun or cop their what. The legal challenge will be ethically & morally wrong. It's not up to the EFC to tell anyone what is and isn't performance enhancing, banned or legal in the sport.

Sam was saying that the players asked two trusting people at the footy club (Dank, Reid) and they gave the okay about the drug being fine, why should the players have to do further research about the drugs.

Which is a stupid stupid stupid position to take.

Yes we all feel for the players, they've been duped, but there's no excuses if you've taken banned drugs IMO. Imagine the circuis... Lance Armstrong did you take this drug? Yes but my team doctor and sports scientist said it was ok... No problems Lance your good to ride...

There's not many more ill thought out opinions on the whole issue than his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back