SALADA/VladFL: Slap on the wrist. - STRICTLY ESSENDON SUPPORTERS ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my comment has been misunderstood.

St Kilda supporters are being widely applauded for taking the "if true, ban him" stance. With the added pretext of "in contrast to those deluded Essendon types."

My point is, it's much easier as a supporter to put aside your loyalties if it's just one player affected. When it's potentially an entire team, on the other hand, it is several orders of magnitude tougher.

That distinction is either being seemingly overlooked by quite a few people, deliberately or otherwise.
Yes, the shoe might be on a different foot if, say, Robert Harvey were coaching St Kilda, the Saints were accused of running an illegal drugs program, Nick Riewoldt had admitted taking a potentially banned substance on TV and Caro were writing regular articles 'Harvey Must Go' and 'Why It's All Harvey's Fault'.

St Kilda supporters are being widely applauded for taking the "if true, ban him" stance. With the added pretext of "in contrast to those deluded Essendon types."

My point is, it's much easier as a supporter to put aside your loyalties if it's just one player affected. When it's potentially an entire team, on the other hand, it is several orders of magnitude tougher

It would also depend on who the players is. They're not going to hang their captain out to dry.

It would also depend on who the players is. They're not going to hang their captain out to dry.
Maybe not. My wider point is more that, one player being banned will not rip an entire club to shreds. It will be horrible for the club and supporters, yes; but ultimately they will go on regardless.

The potential of an entire playing list being banned is altogether more serious, and does have the potential to completely gut a club.

I'm not even having a shot at Saints fans here, I'm just pointing out that Essendon fans reacting differently to St Kilda fans is not at all surprising.

The two situations really aren't analogous.

My point is, it's much easier as a supporter to put aside your loyalties if it's just one player affected. When it's potentially an entire team, on the other hand, it is several orders of magnitude tougher.

That distinction is being seemingly overlooked by quite a few people, deliberately or otherwise.

Two different issues. No Essendon player has been convicted yet, the Essendon Football Club hasn't been convicted yet. We don't know who took what...those texts from 7.30 report show Essendon would buy supplements they may or may not use. No Essendon players have irregular blood tests.

This St Kilda player had a blood test that indicates he used a banned PED.

Maybe not. My wider point is more that, one player being banned will not rip an entire club to shreds. It will be horrible for the club and supporters, yes; but ultimately they will go on regardless.

The potential of an entire playing list being banned is altogether more serious, and does have the potential to completely gut a club.

I'm not even having a shot at Saints fans here, I'm just pointing out that Essendon fans reacting differently to St Kilda fans is not at all surprising.

That, and Essendon have not yet had a positive test. Okay, Jobes confession, and a lot of rumor and innuendo etc, the result depends on how Essendon fans will react.

That, and Essendon have not yet had a positive test. Okay, Jobes confession, and a lot of rumor and innuendo etc, the result depends on how Essendon fans will react.

We don't know if the advice ASADA gave the ACC is the same or different to what the told Essendon etc.

Two different issues. No Essendon player has been convicted yet, the Essendon Football Club hasn't been convicted yet. We don't know who took what...those texts from 7.30 report show Essendon would buy supplements they may or may not use. No Essendon players have irregular blood tests.

This St Kilda player had a blood test that indicates he used a banned PED.

Are you sure? You sound delusional, the media and public have convicted us already :rolleyes:

That distinction is being seemingly overlooked by quite a few people, deliberately or otherwise.

Also when they've seen how people have responded to how we have reacted so can take the approach they are a lot easier since they wouldn't want to have themselves in the "deluded" camp.

What's more, whether it's focused on a team or an individual, no fan in their right mind is going to come out now and blindly defend their club to the hilt - a) it would reek of hypocrisy, given the reaction to the perceived mindset of Essendon supporters, and b) even though the media coverage of the whole saga has often been atrocious, it HAS served to 'educate' people, up to a point, about the issues involved, legal or otherwise. A vague, toothless defense of your team, any team, would be far more acceptable with the state of affairs as they were in February, as opposed to how they are now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's more, whether it's focused on a team or an individual, no fan in their right mind is going to come out now and blindly defend their club to the hilt - a) it would reek of hypocrisy, given the reaction to the perceived mindset of Essendon supporters, and b) even though the media coverage of the whole saga has often been atrocious, it HAS served to 'educate' people, up to a point, about the issues involved, legal or otherwise. A vague, toothless defense of your team, any team, would be far more acceptable with the state of affairs as they were in February, as opposed to how they are now.
Absolutely spot on. Great point.

What I haven't got in this whole thing is why/how so many people wish ill will on people such as young footballers. what good can come to you from having a 23yo young man banned from his favourite sport/livelihood for 2 years?

What I haven't got in this whole thing is why/how so many people wish ill will on people such as young footballers. what good can come to you from having a 23yo young man banned from his favourite sport/livelihood for 2 years?
It may come as a surprise to you, but BigFooty is filled to the brim with decidedly mediocre humans.

For the masses to have made up their mind about the players and club does not define how bad we are, but rather defines what kind of people these are whom judge us without proof. My point being, people wish ill will because people are just stupid and like to jump on the band wagon.

For the masses to have made up their mind about the players and club does not define how bad we are, but rather defines what kind of people these are whom judge us without proof. My point being, people wish ill will because people are just stupid and like to jump on the band wagon.
And some people love a reason / excuse to feel morally superior (I'm aware of the potential irony in this post).

Most often people wish ill will on people who's lives have more meaning than their own. There has been studies, Australians love and I mean love to tear down successfull people. For a comparison look at japan. They don't tear people down, there is respect.

I think one thing that has come out of this whole storm for essendon supporters is a different way of viewing the society we live in. Well that and we are now all experts on the drug code and could probably give better advice than those who are suppose to be giving it.

Saad appears to be an S2 issue, whereas EFC is facing an issue where ASADA may be able to slide AOD into S0 after a 6 month investigation and planning process, despite advice provided to the AFL, ACC and EFC to the contrary.

If our players had tested positive to S2 substances I have no doubt we would react accordingly, as it stands we've done nothing against the rules or spirit of the competition.
Even if Saad has taken an S2, I think the overreaction of Saints supporters in the scramble to be lauded as morality superstars by BF is putrid. They simply cannot knife their boy quick enough.
The complexities of our case and the S0/S2 nuances will be entirely lost on the unwashed masses and comparisons will inevitably made, brace for the outrage at the apparent lenience on the big bad bombers while poor old Saad copped a short sharp shafting. He has done us no favours but I feel sorry for the bloke, and the way the StKilda supporters are carrying on, it's fair to say he probably feels like he doesn't have a friend in the world this morning. I only hope the club have a little more patience and compassion for a young bloke currently facing the biggest crisis he may encounter in his life.

If Saad is banned, I reckon he would be pretty Saad...
tobey+maguire+trollface+troll.jpg

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Well I for one am not in any way happy to see this news. Saad has worked hard to make an AFL career and now it could be taken away due to an error, if it is as reported.

Not good news at all.

We should not be sitting here wishing ill on other clubs and players, we should be hoping for this whole charade to come to an end soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back