Sam Mayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just this, but he cracks in. He doesn't just wait out the back for the easy ball/goal. Goes and wins his own footy when required and is tough enough to take the game on.

Just great mature depth to have.
Yeah, I really like that about him. He really attacks the ball, and ball-carrier, and we are going to need every bit of that on Thursday night!

Excluding the sub, I would suggest there are around 4 spots in the side that are likely to change. That is, Butters to return at Farrells expense, Duursma, Robbie Gray and Fantasia. I would assume Bonner would be dropped when X comes back. I would then suspect Bergman and Mayes will be out of the best 22 once Robbie and Fantasia return - but both would be stiff.

I think Mayes will have a spot in the side for a few weeks to come because Robbie is out another 6 weeks and who knows as to the status of Fantasia?

He clearly has a good footy brain and a solid understanding of forward positioning. Given his ability to play on the wing and off halfback, he is almost the ideal sub once we are at full strength.

Excluding the sub, I would suggest there are around 4 spots in the side that are likely to change. That is, Butters to return at Farrells expense, Duursma, Robbie Gray and Fantasia. I would assume Bonner would be dropped when X comes back. I would then suspect Bergman and Mayes will be out of the best 22 once Robbie and Fantasia return - but both would be stiff.

I think Mayes will have a spot in the side for a few weeks to come because Robbie is out another 6 weeks and who knows as to the status of Fantasia?

He clearly has a good footy brain and a solid understanding of forward positioning. Given his ability to play on the wing and off halfback, he is almost the ideal sub once we are at full strength.

Dont have Clurey in your best 22?

I think from what we've seen of Mayes this year he'd be a great sub in the finals.

Dont have Clurey in your best 22?

I think from what we've seen of Mayes this year he'd be a great sub in the finals.

Clurey is a bit of an enigma to me. It's clear that they prefer McKenzie playing as the deep full back - which is essentially the same role as Clurey. I'm not sure either could go and play off half back like Lienert is doing now, although I dont have Lienert in my best 22 either.

I can see against a side like Geelong where they have 2 elite tall forwards that we can play Clurey and McKenzie in the same side to allow AA to come over the top as 3rd man in. Same goes for the Bulldogs and even Brisbane. But we haven't gone down that path yet all season so im not sure the coaches will be wanting to experiment with that. If I had to pick between Clurey and McKenzie I'd pick McKenzie.

Clurey is a bit of an enigma to me. It's clear that they prefer McKenzie playing as the deep full back - which is essentially the same role as Clurey. I'm not sure either could go and play off half back like Lienert is doing now, although I dont have Lienert in my best 22 either.

I can see against a side like Geelong where they have 2 elite tall forwards that we can play Clurey and McKenzie in the same side to allow AA to come over the top as 3rd man in. Same goes for the Bulldogs and even Brisbane. But we haven't gone down that path yet all season so im not sure the coaches will be wanting to experiment with that. If I had to pick between Clurey and McKenzie I'd pick McKenzie.
I’m picking Clurey soley because I reckon he compliments Aliirs game much better than McKenzie. Ever since Clurey went down Aliir while still being decent has been nowhere near as damaging as he was with Clurey in the side

McKenzie, Lienert and Hartlett are all fighting for the last back pocket spots. My money is on McKenzie. Allir, Clurey, Burton, Jonas and DBJ have locked in a spot with Bergman on the bench.

I don’t think they will get dropped but on form Burton and DBJ certainly haven’t locked a spot in.
Our coaches have lightened the load on DBJs leadership duties, expect him to bounce back soon. Burton is playing pretty good footy. I'm not sure if you've noticed but not one small forward has had a day out against us this year. Burton is playing as a small lockdown defender this year and has been in our top 15 players most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m picking Clurey soley because I reckon he compliments Aliirs game much better than McKenzie. Ever since Clurey went down Aliir while still being decent has been nowhere near as damaging as he was with Clurey in the side

I would have said that before the bye, but AA has been very good since he came back from the bye.

Should be given a chance in the Power midfield. He's a clearance king at sanfl level. Attacks the ball in straight lines and plays with controlled aggression.

Reckon he can win the magerey this season if left in the sanfl.

Otherwise I think he’s a very good option in our forward line.
His consistency and endeavor is better than Motlop's so I never understand why Ken and co would prefer to carry Steven on the off chance he might have one of his "big" games. Good chance Mayes might put up a big game without having so many down games inbetween, but I'd prefer the consistency to start with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Mayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back