No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

You can actually pinpoint the second where my heart rips in half.

The difference is players like Thompson and Hay never did anything for this club except raise expectations and then bitterly disappoint.
What are you talking about?? When Clarko came in he moved those guys on, I am speaking about Birchall, Roughead, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Cyril that Clarko drafted in when he arrived at the club

I know one day we might look back on this and say it was a smart move (ala the Croady trade to Fremantle), but right now I feel a bit sick!

What are you talking about?? When Clarko came in he moved those guys on, I am speaking about Birchall, Roughead, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Cyril that Clarko drafted in when he arrived at the club

Yes I know.

You are comparing trading Thompson/Hay for 1st round picks to trading Mitchell for pick 88 (what round is that even?).

:drunk:

People are saying this puts pressure on O'Meara, but more immediately it puts pressure on Wright. If he doesn't get O'Meara after the way this has gone down, it is hard to see him being forgiven by the fans. GC will also know this, and we've just increased our chances of having to pay overs for O'Meara now. GC knows Hawthorn can't afford to have that deal fail (from a PR point of view - not to mention on field now that our best mid by a considerable margin is gone), and will bargain accordingly. I hope Wright wasn't lying when he said we can get the deal done without Mitchell going, because using Mitchell's cap space to make a mega front-end offer to O'Meara and getting him in the PSD may be the only way of avoiding getting put over the barrel on this one now.

Yes I know.

You are comparing trading Thompson/Hay for 1st round picks to trading Mitchell for pick 88 (what round is that even?).

I figure it is right near the end of the 4th round. (18 teams, 88/18 = 4.88).

EDIT: Actually its a mid to late 5th round pick (maths all wrong).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know one day we might look back on this and say it was a smart move (ala the Croady trade to Fremantle), but right now I feel a bit sick!
Who are we possibly going to pick up at pick 88 that will make us look back on and think as we did for the croad trade? We only look back in joy at that trade because we got Hodge and Mitchell out of it

Putting the spin we've been fed about this deal aside, if you had've told me at the start of the year Sam Mitchell would win the B&F and we'd then turn around and trade him for practically NOTHING I would've politely suggested burning Waverely to the ground. If Lewis leaves that option is still on the table.

Laughable. Trading a reigning B&F winner and possibly our second best ever player for jack shit. The only certain plausible benefit for the club is salary cap relief and there were a billion other better ways to obtain that.

Great result for Sam? Maybe. Great result for Hawthorn? Remains to be seen but I have doubts. HORRID result for Hawthorn supporters. Not happy.

I'm truly disillusioned ATM. Never thought I'd say that after the amazing years we've had.

I've got to believe that Clarko genuinely thought that this was the best long-term career move for Mitch. Let's hope he's back on our coaching panel in a few years, but with young kids entering school (as they will in a few years) it is easier to stay than move

Using the draft pick calculator means we got the equivalent of pick 70. Whether you call it pick 70 or some late draft pick swaps + 88 or effectively 88 by itself it's still very disappointing.

I'm missing something. Wright said it wasn't about salary cap, and we approached Sam so it didn't start about him. So it was to secure that all important pick 88?

Nothing personal, but you're thinking too one dimensionally about this.

Pick 88 was the transaction, but we got much more out of the deal. We made room (not dollars but playing time) for the men coming up to get (Lovell, burton, ++) when still bringing in high end talent like Titch and JOM. We've created a situation where the next championship calibre midfield can get uninterrupted playing time together. And after the finals last year it was obvious that the current midfield was unable to push up to the championship again. We have dripped just that half a step off championship pace. Still good enough for a nice finish but not enough to win it all.

Also, 88 isn't worthless. The low level picks are very useful for F/S selections and balancing out trades for high end players. It seems we have collected quite a few low end picks...

Nothing personal, but you're thinking too one dimensionally about this.

Pick 88 was the transaction, but we got much more out of the deal. We made room (not dollars but playing time) for the men coming up to get (Lovell, burton, ++) when still bringing in high end talent like Titch and JOM. We've created a situation where the next championship calibre midfield can get uninterrupted playing time together. And after the finals last year it was obvious that the current midfield was unable to push up to the championship again. We have dripped just that half a step off championship pace. Still good enough for a nice finish but not enough to win it all.

Also, 88 isn't worthless. The low level picks are very useful for F/S selections and balancing out trades for high end players. It seems we have collected quite a few low end picks...

No offence taken mate. I guess I don't buy that argument because you can give guys game time with Mitch still at the club, playing off the HBF. His value as a coach was higher than pick 88, so even if he didn't play all games to make way for others it would have been preferable. Pick 88 might be useful for a FS, but probably not. If the player is any good someone will force us to use a higher pick.

How though? We picked up Pick 1 for Croady. We got pick 88 for Mitchell.
Swings and roundabouts! The salary cap free up might be the diff between keeping or losing some of the young potential superstars on our list. Also, I give credence to the argument others have put that this will make others in the midfield improve and stand up out of necessity. Clarko is no fool, he's playing the long game. But don't get me wrong, am still gutted and think we passed him on way too cheaply! Also makes me think: 'Always Hawthorn'! Yes, for us supporters! But for some involved with the club: Yes! Until it's convenient not to be!

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back