Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
The posts on this thread gives some hope that people wont let the nepo kids get away with crimes anymore and protected because they’re young. What these afl players offspring get away with is disgraceful.

Supposedly Patrick had prior charges and should have been reported to the media. Some of the nepo kids with offences get drafted and it’s not on.

One nepo Player in particular who had prior charges when he was a minor was not named and shamed and allegedly now successfully got into the afl. Their past with sa is overlooked because he was a kid at the time.

Makes me wonder if Patrick wasn’t protected as a minor for his crime would this have happened.
It's pretty standard practise to suppress the names of minors convicted of such crimes.
The fact that ones father was in the AFL actually works against the minor, as the morbidly curious public seem to be more interested when this the case.
So I don't see that one is actually or necessarily treated preferentially if one is or is related to an AFL footballer. It can work against you too.

You know what this means .. CARDS. I'm going to start handing out infractions for off topic derailing, asking posters to DM them, bickering, personal attacks, baiting, spreading rumours and refusing to pay attention to the mods instructions.

death running GIF by Kiszkiloszki

Why are you deliberately making up crap? I'll reiterate, why are you in a true crime thread if you're so repulsed by what perps do to their victims?

Have you ever followed a case before from beginning to end?
Nah, people are getting their jollies thinking about it. Bad enough someone will do vile crap to another person, let alone others wanting to know all the gory details!

Nah, people are getting their jollies thinking about it. Bad enough someone will do vile crap to another person, let alone others wanting to know all the gory details!

Then don't follow true crime.

It's full of vile stuff.

Did you read the last moderator posts?

First time poster but have been following the case.

I’m not from Ballarat but read elsewhere that the general area where SM was jogging has had a recent (or maybe continual) issue with people dumping rubbish.
So much so, that the council (and police?) had put up some (fairly rudimentary) cameras to stop the dumping of rubbish.
Is anyone from the area able to confirm this?
For me, the police being so strident in their charge (and obviously, the DPP backing the charge) makes me think the evidence is incredibly strong … such as a witness or video.
If there are ‘anti dumping’ cameras in the area, as I’ve read elsewhere, then perhaps there is very solid evidence of what happened.
The police are now very focused on what happened post, as they want SM (for both the case, and the Murphy family).

I’m not from Ballarat but read elsewhere that the general area where SM was jogging has had a recent (or maybe continual) issue with people dumping rubbish.
So much so, that the council (and police?) had put up some (fairly rudimentary) cameras to stop the dumping of rubbish.
For me, the police being so strident in their charge (and obviously, the DPP backing the charge) makes me think the evidence is incredibly strong … such as a witness or video.
If there are ‘anti dumping’ cameras in the area, as I’ve read elsewhere, then perhaps there is very solid evidence of what happened.
The police are no very focused on what happened post, as they want SM (for both the case, and the Murphy family).
Although you'd have to think if there were camera's in that specific location, they would have had solid evidence almost immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The police are now very focused on what happened post, as they want SM (for both the case, and the Murphy family).
How many of these type of cameras do you think they have stuck up any idea?

Although you'd have to think if there were camera's in that specific location, they would have had solid evidence almost immediately.

Trail camera are basic. Just a digital camera that takes a snap each time movement is detected. They aren't live CCTV.

They probably have an image of his car entering / leaving the area.

This combined with mobile data is good evidence.

If there was any cctv of him they would have found very early in the piece imo.
I think he told someone and they dobbed him in.

How many of these type of cameras do you think they have stuck up any idea?
From the other forum I was reading, there were a few … a couple had solar panels to keep them going - mostly to ID illegal dumping.
It was more me just testing to see if that’s even a thing in the area.
And even if it is, cameras being broke/dead/in the wrong place is possible.

I’d think too, even with amazing video footage, a murder charge takes time to pull together.

Again, no idea, just thought I’d ask if anyone familiar with the tracks around the place could/have checked?

Yeah I said a few days ago it feels like some are almost barracking for this guy to be a Netflix worthy sicko. Getting more and more out of control with every day no new information is released. Fueled by only rumours.

Might be time to step back a bit and wait for the facts.

I know it was early Sunday morning but I'm suprised there have been no witnesses regarding the alleged disposal of the body.
You have to know Ballarat of a Sunday morning, no one gets up before 8am, you could fire a cannon down Sturt St and it wouldn't even hit a parked car, cause there aren't any!!
Not surprised at all...

Trail camera are basic. Just a digital camera that takes a snap each time movement is detected. They aren't live CCTV.

They probably have an image of his car entering / leaving the area.

This combined with mobile data is good evidence.
Yeah the anti-dumping cameras, if they exist, would be best placed at vehicular entry and exit points and not regularly along trails. They would also as you say unlikely be "live" or cloud-connected, but would probably require someone to come and regularly grab the data for analysis.
Telstra puts CCTV on its phone towers too, to combat vandalism / detect issues, but I think there is only one phone tower in the whole forest.
Local water or power authorities may have some assets which are also protected by cameras.
So at best, CCTV may have captured SOME vehicles entering or exiting the park via SOME routes, but probably not enough to say for certain that the accused was the only person there at that time, and most likely no CCTV or images of the crime itself.

You have to know Ballarat of a Sunday morning, no one gets up before 8am, you could fire a cannon down Sturt St and it wouldn't even hit a parked car, cause there aren't any!!
Not surprised at all...
A few too many having big nights :)

If there was any cctv of him they would have found very early in the piece imo.
I think he told someone and they dobbed him in.
Would be interesting to know if/when police questioned him & any of his friends & family prior to his arrest.

You would think any phone data or CCTV which put anyone in the vicinity of Samantha on that day would have all been questioned about what they were doing & where they were going that day...and then followed up with any friends or family to corroborate.

He could have been further implicated by friends/family without them even realising if their version of events didn't match up.

Not surprised at all...
I'm from there and live between there and Melbourne currently.
There are a lot of older people and others walikg there dog early in the morning. A lot of early risers but having said that, that area was somewhat isolated

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back