San Francisco

Remove this Banner Ad

Be sure to wear flowers in your hair!

But, seriously, meant to be an awesome city. Great music scene, great alter scent and great drug scene. I knew some San Fran types who used to come out every summer, always had the tip top LSD :D :cool: :D

Got back from there two weeks ago. Had 3 nights in there and loved it. Great city.
Everything from the terrain (hilly) to the cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Sausalito, Union Square. The people whilst being a touch different are good. You do see a few more 'same sex couples' but that's one of the real intricacies of the city.

Great shopping city to with pretty much every brand name that you could want and as its the start of summer over there every store has 30-50% off their winter stock...great timing for us.

Would recommend to anyone that they should go there. 3 nights wasn't enough, 5 should do it.

Got back from there two weeks ago. Had 3 nights in there and loved it. Great city.
Everything from the terrain (hilly) to the cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Sausalito, Union Square. The people whilst being a touch different are good. You do see a few more 'same sex couples' but that's one of the real intricacies of the city.

Great shopping city to with pretty much every brand name that you could want and as its the start of summer over there every store has 30-50% off their winter stock...great timing for us.

Would recommend to anyone that they should go there. 3 nights wasn't enough, 5 should do it.

Yeah was just about to say go to Fishermans wharf and visit Pier 39 for some good shopping and then go on a tour of Alcatraz. Tip for anyone interested in doing the Alcatraz tour, to get tickets early in the morning as they sell out fast.

There is a lot of crime in san Francisco and plenty of pick pockets as that is a very touristy place so be careful but it a great place.

Yeah was just about to say go to Fishermans wharf and visit Pier 39 for some good shopping and then go on a tour of Alcatraz. Tip for anyone interested in doing the Alcatraz tour, to get tickets early in the morning as they sell out fast.

Yep, good itinerary. Then walk along the bay towards Fort Point and the Golden Gate Bridge, which is pretty impressive up close. There have been a few great movies filmed here - Vertigo, Dirty Harry, etc.

If you hire a car, San Francisco is a good base for day trips around Northern California.

Best city in California by the length of the Flemington Straight. As has already been mentioned, the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Alcatraz and Sausalito are must do's in San Francisco. The shopping scene in downtown San Fran is a great, too. Good nightlife, good music. Ifyou hire a car, I recommend a tip up North to Napa Valley, and a 3 hour trip east to Yosemite National Park. :thumbsu:

Had to make a tough decision to go for a couple of nights or just stay in LA. Took the stay in LA option because after that we're off the Vegas so really its an expense sort of thing. Shame I would have loved to see San Fran and caught a Niners game. Next time eh.

Best city in California by the length of the Flemington Straight. As has already been mentioned, the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Alcatraz and Sausalito are must do's in San Francisco. The shopping scene in downtown San Fran is a great, too. Good nightlife, good music. Ifyou hire a car, I recommend a tip up North to Napa Valley, and a 3 hour trip east to Yosemite National Park. :thumbsu:

Pier 39 is located at Fisherman's Wharf.

Very touristy, but the clam chowder in sour dough bread bowl is hard to beat. There are market stalls sometimes - if there are no prices marked, be sure to ask first. I made the mistake of buying humongous strawberries without knowing the price, and they ended up being around $2 each. :eek:

I did 5 days back in November. Did the things other have mentioned, as well as going to a San Jose Sharks ice hockey game (train down to San Jose) and spent Thanksgiving at Muir Woods and Yosemite National Park.

Black Friday was pretty mad. You think the shops get busy here, go to a chain store on Black Friday and be thankful to escape with your life (one unlucky shopper was killed in the stampede at a New Jersey Wal-Mart).

Did a Segway tour down at Fisherman's Wharf. Yeah it's nerdy, but I had to do it!

Tip for anyone interested in doing the Alcatraz tour, to get tickets early in the morning as they sell out fast.

There is a lot of crime in San Francisco and plenty of pick pockets as that is a very touristy place so be careful but it a great place.

My advice would be to do a night-time tour of Alcatraz, but they book out weeks in advance, so I'd book over the net at least a few weeks prior.

I was a little taken aback by the number of homeless people, but I can't say I really felt threatened or in danger.

Best city in California by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Perhaps, but I loved San Diego also.

Its my least favourite US city of the ones I've been to, but I was only 14 when I went so that may change if I ever went back? I think it seemed like there were many more homeless people than the other places I went to.

Its my least favourite US city of the ones I've been to, but I was only 14 when I went so that may change if I ever went back? I think it seemed like there were many more homeless people than the other places I went to.

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need ... to ... be ... unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways ... to ... have ... a good time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought San Fran was awesome and I agree with who said you need 5 days over 3. Just so much to do and its really enjoyable to just walk and walk all day catch the odd tram and explore.

I went right before Christmas a few years back and really did not notice any homeless people. LA is a totally different story.

Awesome city. Went when I was 20, on my own for a week. Scared poopless to begin with but then worked out very quickly it is a fantastic vibrant city. But as mentioned you do need to be a little careful there is a very distinct line between the poor side of SF and the tourist side of SF. I found the poor side a couple of times...

I stayed at the Green Tourtise hostel, which is in a great spot but I had the worst case of bed bug bites from there. It was 8 years ago though!!!

They are really friendly people, I just walked into bars and ordered a beer and had company from the get go becuase of the Aussie accent, they love it.

Oh also if you get a chance head to Lake Tahoe!!! Amazing, beautiful spot. Volcanic lake with some great little towns spotted along the lake. Summer has great moutain biking and water sports (the lake is not the warmest) and winter has some of the best skiing going around with amazing views overt he Lake at Mammoth Mountain.

Remove this Banner Ad

San Francisco

Remove this Banner Ad

Back