MVP SANFL 2017 Magarey Medal Count & SA Football HOF Inductions

Remove this Banner Ad

Warren Pratland (sic) article linked by powermacs in the match thread. Wazza whinging about the lack of "Magpies" players playing for Ports. :rolleyes:

"Port claimed the game by 33 points and its side included Eagles recruit Jimmy Toumpas. Brett Eddy, last year’s Ken Farmer Medallist with South Adelaide, was in the line-up, along with Jarrod Lienert and Will Snelling, premiership players with Sturt and West Adelaide respectively in the past two years.

Emmanuel Irra moved to Alberton from the Panthers this season, Peter Ladhams is a Norwood product and Cameron Hewett from North Adelaide. There were six Victorians, two West Australians and an ACT player in the Port 21.

That leaves just five Port Adelaide Magpie products. In contrast, the Eagles contained 15 players who came through their junior program."

West Torrens had former AFL players Paul Stewart and Jared "The Next Andrew McLeod" Petrenko in their side and former AFL player Mitch Grigg wins the Magarey Medal.

#noaflinthesanfl

No mention of the Magpies products forced out in the other direction, then?

Kirkwood, Beard, Johansen, Hoskin, the guy who went to Glenelg after having 40 & 4 last year or the year before whose name escapes me.

What did he expect us to do exactly? Draft them all so we have a substandard AFL team but relatively strong - but not too strong - SANFL side chocful of Maggies products?

Gee whiz.

Kirkwood, Beard, Johansen, Hoskin, the guy who went to Glenelg after having 40 & 4 last year or the year before whose name escapes me.

What did he expect us to do exactly? Draft them all so we have a substandard AFL team but relatively strong - but not too strong - SANFL side chocful of Maggies products?

Gee whiz.
We should be developing local talent from our zones, you know, the zones the SNAFL gave to Norwood. :rolleyes:

Gee whiz.
Ben Sawford is the name. Jack Haarsma went to Glenelg with him. Also Ben Haren was South Adelaides leading goal kicker this year. Alex Barns Norths 2nd leading goal kicker. Terry Milera also was Glenelgs 2nd leading goal kicker with 34 goals. Anthony Wilson who helped Norwood win the 2014 GF came from Port.

More lesser known names, Gav Wanganeen found the ruck Bruggemann in the country leagues and Sturt cherry picked him a year later. Raikiwasa a few years ago went to the Eagles, his little brother went to Glenelg. Sam Gordon went to North. Matthew Rose went to South.

We've lost a crap load of players. We have to mention the countless junior players that probably went Nord/Eagles way due to loss of zones. The most high profile being Luke Partington to Nord in his draft year who ended up getting drafted by West Coast.

Last edited:
Ben Sawford is the name. Jack Haarsma went to Glenelg with him. Also Ben Haren was South Adelaides leading goal kicker this year. Alex Barns Norths 2nd leading goal kicker. Terry Milera also was Glenelgs 2nd leading goal kicker with 34 goals. Anthony Wilson who helped Norwood win the 2014 GF came from Port.

More lesser known names, Gav Wanganeen found the ruck Bruggemann in the country leagues and Sturt cherry picked him a year later. Raikiwasa a few years ago went to the Eagles, his little brother went to Glenelg. Sam Gordon went to North.

We've lost a crap load of players. We have to mention the countless junior players that probably went Nord/Eagles way due to loss of zones. The most high profile being Luke Partington to Nord in his draft year who ended up getting drafted by West Coast.

That's the one. Hopefully Partland sees this betwixt reporting on the Prelim and the marquee matchup between Contax and Matrics.

How does a player with 300 AFL games and no real SANFL history get inducted into the SANFL Hall Of Fame? Does this mean that Kane Cornes will make it into their Hall Of Fame?
He didn't play even 1 game at league level at Central District, he was selected from u-17. Surely the SANFL HOF should be for players who played for the SANFL.

He didn't play even 1 game at league level at Central District, he was selected from u-17. Surely the SANFL HOF should be for players who played for the SANFL.
But it's not the SANFL hall of fame just like the Australian Football Hall of Fame isn't the AFL hall of fame. Those HoF's cover all leagues that are affiliated with them and they have jurisdiction over. As the governing bodies they have the $$$ to host the HoF functions.They are both custodians of the game as well as administors of a competition.

It's great to see #sanfl4life players like Battersby, Grigg and Panos finishing in the top few, guys who have never considered an AFL career or played at that level. Because we know it's only Port Adelaide that has AFL players in its squad.

There was article on Advertiser Sport that popped up in my feed yesterday, highlighting the cheersquad's message against WWT on Sunday, which carried a cheeky reference to that club having to merge, etc.

Cue comment after comment of exactly the type you'd expect: but Port Power & Magpies merged, the Magpies don't exist, Port owes the SANFL money, disrespectful this and that, you'd think they'd have learned their lesson, etc.

All this from inconsequential tongue-in-cheek banter before a game Port dominated.

#sagreat
The Port Magpies Est 1870 wouldn't have had to merge if they didn't get themselves in a pickle by stabbing the SANFL in the back in 1990 and then having the audacity to bid for the second licence in 1994 when they clearly were not deserving of it. Thank god (aka Max Basheer) the SANFL made the sensible decision to create the curiously named Port Power Est 1997 in 1995 off their own back instead. I for one believe the Port Magpies got what they deserved for the treacherous acts of decades past, by having their zones taken away and ceasing to exist and have all their history, flags, home ground allocated to the plastic franchise that we all love because teal. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

The Port Magpies Est 1870 wouldn't have had to merge if they didn't get themselves in a pickle by stabbing the SANFL in the back in 1990 and then having the audacity to bid for the second licence in 1994 when they clearly were not deserving of it. Thank god (aka Max Basheer) the SANFL made the sensible decision to create the curiously named Port Power Est 1997 in 1995 off their own back instead. I for one believe the Port Magpies got what they deserved for the treacherous acts of decades past, by having their zones taken away and ceasing to exist and have all their history, flags, home ground allocated to the plastic franchise that we all love because TEAL. :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Can I jut say, Teal! What the hell were we thinking? Teal is such a '90s colour! Blue would have been nice, or Silver, but TEAL WHYYYYYYYY!!!

Does that nuptee understand we were not allowed to play any Magpie players during the year because of the rules set up by his bum buddies ?
******* hypocrite

Gee whiz.

Happy to take Butcher at his club and a million other interstate recruits, the Gowans etc.
He wasn't complaining during the year when we weren't allowed to play any Magpie players due to his mates changing the rules every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a player with 300 AFL games and no real SANFL history get inducted into the SANFL Hall Of Fame? Does this mean that Kane Cornes will make it into their Hall Of Fame?

I agree it is ridiculous , so that means Corey Enright should be in it because he played some U19 football at Port Adelaide or Nathan Buckley because he had 2 years in the system
Farcical.
Great to see they managed to get another ex cows board member in to the hall of fame !

Just watched the Damian Squire interview on stage. He needs a smack for every Port Power reference.
Unfortunately when he played for us we branded ourselves Port Power. Can't blame him for not embracing the correction after he had left the club. Mrs Fagan though, can go and get ****ed.

Probably the most stupid decisions our club has made in its 147 year history.

But it's not the SANFL hall of fame just like the Australian Football Hall of Fame isn't the AFL hall of fame. Those HoF's cover all leagues that are affiliated with them and they have jurisdiction over. As the governing bodies they have the $$$ to host the HoF functions.They are both custodians of the game as well as administors of a competition.

It may not be an SANFL hall of fame but it certainly is influenced by the SANFL. The SANFL website lists the Selection Committee as:
Leigh Whicker AM (Chairman), John Halbert AM MBE, Neil Kerley AM, Chris McDermott, David Shipway AM, Michelangelo Rucci, Bill Sanders AM, Julian Burton OAM and Tim Pfeiffer. With those people doing the selecting it is a wonder any Port Adelaide nominee ever got through the vetting process.

If it is a South Australian Hall Of Fame one would still expect the nominees to have made some unique and significant contribution to South Australian Football. O'Loughlin may have begun his junior career in SA but he spent 15 seasons in Sydney playing in the AFL and in that time his input into SA was zilch. The other point is why single out O'Loughlin when there are several other South Australians who have had outstanding careers in the AFL without playing League footy in SA?

I have no argument with O'Loughlin's record as he was an outstanding player but surely his place is in the Australian Hall of Fame? Using almost the same criteria as applied to O'Loughlin Wayne Carey should be in the South Australian Hall of Fame as he played under age football for North Adelaide and finished his league career in South Australia.

Last edited:
It may not be an SANFL hall of fame but it certainly is influenced by the SANFL. The SANFL website lists the Selection Committee as:
Leigh Whicker AM (Chairman), John Halbert AM MBE, Neil Kerley AM, Chris McDermott, David Shipway AM, Michelangelo Rucci, Bill Sanders AM, Julian Burton OAM and Tim Pfeiffer. With those people doing the selecting it is a wonder any Port Adelaide nominee ever got through the vetting process.

If it is a South Australian Hall Of Fame one would still expect the nominees to have made some unique and significant contribution to South Australian Football. O'Loughlin may have begun his junior career in SA but he spent 15 seasons in Sydney playing in the AFL and in that time his input into SA was zilch. The other point is why single out O'Loughlin when there are several other South Australians who have had outstanding careers in the AFL without playing League footy in SA?

I have no argument with O'Loughlin's record as he was an outstanding player but surely his place is in the Australian Hall of Fame? Using almost the same criteria as applied to O'Loughlin Wayne Carey should be in the South Australian Hall of Fame as he played under age football for North Adelaide and finished his career in South Australia.
I dont really get the O'Laughlin one unless he played lots of state under age team. Carey was here between ages 13 moved from Wagga and 16 or 17 before he moved off to North Melbourne.

There is a country footballer with over 300 games of football inducted. I cant remember his name and a few names I have clicked on that I dont know are pre WWI guys but he is in there. Kevin McSporran is in almost as much for his country footy career, as his on at West Torrens. See
http://sanfl.com.au/halloffame/

Who is Andrew Faulkner anyway

A Sturt fan, whose rejoinder to the #noAFLinSANFL/Kirkwood paradox was the false equivalency of "we'll give him back in exchange for Monfries, Leinert, Hombsch and Wingard".

I'm guessing the air around the Magill campus was heavy on lead.

A Sturt fan, whose rejoinder to the #noAFLinSANFL/Kirkwood paradox was the false equivalency of "we'll give him back in exchange for Monfries, Leinert, Hombsch and Wingard".

I'm guessing the air around the Magill campus was heavy on lead.
I didn't really want to know but appreciate as always

I dont really get the O'Laughlin one unless he played lots of state under age team. Carey was here between ages 13 moved from Wagga and 16 or 17 before he moved off to North Melbourne.

There is a country footballer with over 300 games of football inducted. I cant remember his name and a few names I have clicked on that I dont know are pre WWI guys but he is in there. Kevin McSporran is in almost as much for his country footy career, as his on at West Torrens. See
http://sanfl.com.au/halloffame/

Matty Primus is in and he's not even Souf Orstayan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back