Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2001
X Convenience Oval, Elizabeth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
Hi Footy fans...

For the time being, speculation on the future participation of the two AFL reserves sides in the SANFL can be put on the backburner. After all the huff and puff created by the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs, they have resigned themselves to continue playing in the state league at least until the end of 2025. Not that their current situation has been any bother to the other eight teams in the league, the Crows and the Magpies sitting at the foot of the league ladder. All the clubs have seen out their mid-season byes, now its all about the run home with just eight more rounds of football to go. After last week it was a four-way dance for the top spot, the Eagles taking said position only on percentage after the hammering they dealt out at league HQ, while the Dogs' win put them at third in between the reigning premiers and the Redlegs who sat out last week. The Blues would round out the top five, they also had their mid-year bye last weekend. The Bloods and the Roosters are still well in contention, with both sides adrift by two games. The Panthers look like they have gone back to the old doldrums, while as said before, the two AFL clubs sit down low much to the amusement of many an SA footy-head... and it was about to go even further down hill for one of them. Read on!

Welcome to the Round 11 edition of the SANFL Wrap-Up.

The three matches would take place on the Sunday afternoon, the first game sends us to the inner eastern suburbs and into the Coopers Stadium in Norwood where the Redlegs hosted the Magpies. The Redlegs had a rotten time on goal when they last faced their old enemy back in Round 4, despite that they still left with a three-goal win. They were especially vulnerable in the final term, the 'Pies away from the big sticks. They just couldn't kick more than a single major themselves though, Norwood remaining in control of the Williams-Gallgher Trophy. The Magpies finally managed to get some points for 2024 last week, kicking clear after half-time to win by 20 points against Westies, while the Redlegs had to regroup after a 28-point defeat at Unley two weeks ago. Crowds for this fixture are nothing like they used to be, a little over 2600 turning up to a game that once attracted triple that if not more in the past. The Magpies would draw first blood after just 30 seconds, but after the Redlegs kicked to a three-goal quarter-time lead, the 2022 premiers were going to show just how much off the pace their old enemy really was. When the Magpies score the opening goal of the second term, Norwood started dishing out the punishment, ramming home five goals. Along with some missed chances, the Redlegs were now ahead by 45 points at the long break. Adding further insult to injury for Port, two separate anniversaries were taking place at their expense with the 1984 and 2014 premierships being commemorated. The Redlegs' attack on goal was slowed a little in the third quarter, but the deficit was getting wider and wider. A further two goals gap was added by three quarter-time, Norwood kicking three to one. For some in the crowd, it was probably a shame that it wasn't any more than 14 straight kicks in the end. It was still no less embarrassing for the visitors, the home side finishing off with a 5.5 to 1.3 final quarter, romping away to an 83-point victory and a big percentage boost catapulting them to top spot. Baynen Lowe was the Redlegs' best afield with 28 disposals, seven tackles and five marks. The Magpies named Will Lorenz as their standout with 21 disposals, seven clearances along with five tackles and marks.

We now leave the inner east and head to the inner south, where the Double Blues faced the Roosters at the Thomas Farms Oval in Unley. The Roosters chalked up their first win of the season back in Round 3 at the expense of the Blues, in one of their more efficient displays of 2024 they kicked 10.3 against Sturt's 8.9 to win with the last score of the game. The Blues had evened things up well into time on in the last quarter, the Roosters' bagging the decisive major. The Blues made one last foray into attack which would fall short of the sticks, a six-point win to North the result. Both sides were on the outer last week for their mid-year week off, two weeks previous the Blues were victorious against the Redlegs at home, while the Roosters went down at Brighton Road by two goals. The Roosters started off relatively strongly, scoring the opening two majors. The Blues sprayed several prime chances on goal, the Roosters lead by three points at quarter-time with the scoreboard reading 3.1 to 2.4. That early effort was undone in the second quarter, North kept to 2.1 as the Blues took the lead into the rooms at the long break with their return of 5.4. At half-time, Sturt were now up by three goals. The last three games for the Blues have had a lop-sided behind count and that trend was set to continue and it kept the Roosters well in the fight. The third quarter was quite a wasteful one in front of the sticks for both sides, they each managed one goal each. The visitors had a few more chances to put some scoreboard pressure on, but added five behinds while the Blues kicked three. The deficit was cut back down to 16 points for Sturt by the final change. The Roosters threatened to overwhelm the Blues after bringing back the gap to a single kick early in time-on, having scored 3.2 to 1.4. But it wasn't to be for the red & whites, the Blues holding off the late challenge and kicking 1.1 to finish off with a two-goal win and elevate themselves to third on the ladder. Will Snelling looks like a mid-season fave for the Magarey Medal with another best on ground effort for Sturt, finishing with 23 disposals, 14 tackles and seven clearances. Campbell Combe was best for North, with 23 disposals, 13 tackles and six clearances.

The final game for the mid-season period takes us over to the western fringe of Adelaide and into the Hisense Stadium in Richmond for the clash between the Bloods and the Tigers. It was a sense of deja vu for the Tigers after their last outing against the Bloods. Not in a bad way, mind you, Glenelg were winners at Brighton Road in Round 6 by 27 points. It was the fact that it was an identical scoreline from the previous week against the Panthers, albeit only slightly more accurate. While the results can't be argued with, the Tigers of 2024 thus far have done things the hard way, with only two winning games where they really put a stamp on it. They've had some close shaves for sure, their latest being against North a fortnight ago for a two-goal win. For the Bloods, they just had to be the "1" in the Magpies' win column after last week's trip to Alberton. It was probably about time that the Bays kicked a bag and that they did, though they began the opening term with a trio of minor scores before kicking four goals to the Bloods' one to lead by 21 points at the first change. The second term saw them blow that gap out to more than 10 straight kicks, the Tigers sharing the scoring duties around a bit with six individual goal-kickers combining for a return of 7.2, matching their opening round tally from the same period. The Bloods kicked just 1.3 as they fell back to 56 points in arrears. That was pretty much the game done and dusted, the Bloods' first half was their second worst return since, yep... that last outing against the Bays where they kicked 1.2. They had more missed chances to cut that deficit down in the third term, kicking 1.4 while the visitors added 3.3 to their score, the Tigers' lead now out to 67 points. In the end, even a 5.1 run in the final term wouldn't silence the dissatisfaction on the Richmond terraces, Glenelg kept to just 2.4 as they ran out 52-point winners and ascending to second on the league ladder. Jonty Scharenberg was best afield for the Bays, with 26 disposals, eight marks and five tackles, while the Bloods had Sam Frost with 32 disposals, 17 tackles and 11 clearances.

FINAL SCORES IN ROUND 11 OF THE SANFL...

Sunday June 23

Norwood 18.14 (123)
Port Adelaide 5.9 (39)
2,652 @ Coopers Stadium, Norwood

Sturt 10.15 (75)
North Adelaide 9.9 (63)
2,975 @ Thomas Farms Oval, Unley

Glenelg 16.12 (108)
West Adelaide 8.8 (56)
1,641 @ Hisense Stadium, Richmond

Central District, Woodville-West Torrens, Adelaide and South Adelaide had the bye.

INJURIES
Port -- Moore (calf), Marshall (concussion), Charleson (knee)
Sturt -- Dakin (ankle), Spain (concussion)
North -- Patmore (ankle)
Glenelg -- Carmody (concussion)
West -- Stevens (leg)

REPORTS
Glenelg -- Gould (rough conduct), Bailey, Walker (melee)
West -- Ryan (rough conduct), McCormick, Corbett (melee)

LEAGUE LADDER
------------------------------------------------------
Norwood -- 16pts (8-2-0), 56.8%
Glenelg -- 16pts (8-2-0), 56%
Sturt -- 14pts (7-3-0), 58.9%
W-WT -- 14pts (7-3-0), 58.1%
Central -- 14pts (7-3-0), 54.3%

North -- 8pts (4-6-0), 48.7%
West -- 8pts (4-6-0), 47.4%
South -- 4pts (2-8-0), 42.6%
Adelaide -- 4pts (2-8-0), 42.5%
Port -- 2pts (1-9-0), 37%

WOMEN'S DIVISION -- Premiers eliminated, South on road to redemption and Neild stands above all
The SANFL Women's Division kicked off the finals series at Flinders University Stadium in Noarlunga this past weekend, beginning with a Clash of the Cats in the 2nd Semi-Final where the Panthers punched their ticket to the Grand Final in their domination of the Tigers. The Tigers never found their sticks at all in the opening stanza and while the Panthers only kicked 1.2 early, in the second term they kicked three goals to the Bays' 1.1 to take a 19-point lead into half-time. Glenelg's forwards were held firmly, held to that single major for the rest of the game. South didn't kick any in the third term, but did score two in the finish for a 28-point win. Afterwards it was the sudden death 1st Semi where the Bulldogs' title defence was brought to an end at the hands of the Redlegs. The two sides were nearly inseperable by anymore than two straight kicks for the most part and at three quarter-time, the Dogs were up by eight points. But they were silenced in the final quarter, Norwood kicking the last two goals to finish with a five-point win to book a Preliminary Final spot next week. Back to the Panthers and Nikki Nield came out on top at the Women's B&F Awards night, finishing with 27 votes -- polling best in six games -- ahead of 2022 medallist Jess Bates of Glenelg, who missed the last two rounds due to injury. There was some consolation for Bates, winning the Coaches' Award by more than 20 votes, the Leadership award went to Eagles captain Annie Falkenberg while the Women's golden boot was shared between Centrals' Kateyln Rozenweig and South's Emily Brockhurst.

WOMEN'S FINALS @ Flinders University Stadium, Noarlunga
1st SEMI-FINAL --
Norwood 6.4 (40) def. Central District 5.5 (35)
2nd SEMI-FINAL -- South Adelaide 6.5 (41) def. Glenelg 1.7 (13)

CROWEATER COLTS' BRIGHT START
The AFL National U-16 Championships began for the South Australians with a gritty victory against Western Australia at Thebarton Oval on Saturday afternoon. The Sandgropers would go into the first change with a goal's lead at quarter-time, but would have that cut back down to the narrowest of margins by the long break after the Croweaters outscored them 4.1 to 3.2 in the second term. Some goal-kicking yips then crept into the WA camp in the second half as South Australia again outpointed them, kicking 3.2 to 1.3 in the third quarter to take over the lead, going into the final change with a 10-point lead. And that's the way it ended, both sides kicking 2.3 in the final term as the home side took the first points in the junior tourney. Three players kicked a pair each, Jacob McNicol, Zemes Pilot and Koby Moir, while Archie Van Dyk had plenty of the ball and Dougie Cochrane was the landlord in the backline. SA's next couple of assignments sends them north to the Gold Coast in the second week of July, with outings against Victoria Metro at Carrara on Tuesday followed by Vic Country at Fankhauser Reserve in Southport on Friday.

South Australia 10.8 (68) def. Western Australia 8.10 (58)

Next weekend in Round 12...

Saturday June 29
Port Adelaide vs. Central District; Alberton Oval @ 2:10pm
North Adelaide vs. Woodville-West Torrens; Prospect Oval @ 2:10pm
Sturt vs. West Adelaide; Thomas Farms Oval, Unley @ 2:10pm
Glenelg vs. Adelaide; Stratarama Stadium, Glenelg @ 2:20pm

Sunday June 30 @ 2:10pm
South Adelaide vs. Norwood; Flinders University Stadium, Noarlunga

So until next weekend... see you at the Footy!

Hello all - I'll be holidaying in Adelaide next week and as well as attending a SANFL game (go Sturt!!) I would like to attend a suburban footy game. I'm from Melbourne and love my suburban footy and go every week. We have an abundance of competitions spread all over Melbourne and regional Victoria. Can you tell me what suburban competitions exit in Adelaide? I'll then be able to go to their web site to see who's playing and pick a game to attend. Thanks.

Hello all - I'll be holidaying in Adelaide next week and as well as attending a SANFL game (go Sturt!!) I would like to attend a suburban footy game. I'm from Melbourne and love my suburban footy and go every week. We have an abundance of competitions spread all over Melbourne and regional Victoria. Can you tell me what suburban competitions exit in Adelaide? I'll then be able to go to their web site to see who's playing and pick a game to attend. Thanks.
Look up the Adelaide Footy League for the metro area, there's multiple divisions spread across the place

There's also the Southern Football League which exists on the fringe of South Adelaide territory or even the BL&G in the outer north.

More info... go to the SANFL website and look at the community football section.

Feel free to catch up for a beer before a sturt game, PM me if you’re keen. Not great games coming up against West and South and they won’t pull a very good crowd unfortunately.
Depending when you’re here, the only good sanfl game coming up is Glenelg v WWT at The Bay on 7th July.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and input. I ended up going to the Glenunga V Port District game on Saturday and the game didn't disappoint. Glenunga had a good first half and looked like they would cruise to an easy win. But PD had other ideas. An even third quarter showed PD could match it with Glenunga and they certainly did in the last quarter. Glenunga failed to score in the last quarter and PD almost pinched the game failing by just 4 points. Congrats to both teams for a wonderful hard-fought game. The suburban ground was picturesque with lots of trees and the barbeque was awesome as was the coffee van. Loved the little scoreboard on the trolley as well!! Thanks to all. I took my camcorder with me and I've uploaded my vision onto YouTube. See link below. Hope to return in the future but it's back to Melbourne for now! Gotta luv suburban footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL 2024 -- Round 11 Wrap-Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back