SANFL Captain Coaches 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2004
Where No Birds Fly
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide/Sturt/Wingfield
Can someone post all Captains and coaches in the SANFL for this year for us interstate and overseas.Have they been settled yet?

( I was going to head the thread coach captains but didnt want to read about Greyhound, Deluxe and McAffertys:eek: )

Don't know all the captain yet so I'll post them later.

Coaches:
CENTRAL DISTRICT: Roy Laird
GLENELG: Mark Mickan
NORTH ADELAIDE: Andrew Jarman
NORWOOD: Trevor Hill
PORT ADELAIDE: Tim Ginever
SOUTH ADELAIDE: Robert Pyman
STURT: Brenton Phillips
WEST ADELAIDE: Wayne Weidemann
W-WT EAGLES: Ron Fuller

CENTRAL DISTRICT: Roy Laird: Yet to confirm captain but the tip would be Nathan Steinberner
GLENELG: Mark Mickan: Not yet confirmed
NORTH ADELAIDE: Andrew Jarman:
NORWOOD: Trevor Hill: I think Brett James
PORT ADELAIDE: Tim Ginever: Yet to confirm but I think the tip would be Jared Poulton
SOUTH ADELAIDE: Robert Pyman: ???
STURT: Brenton Phillips:???
WEST ADELAIDE: Wayne Weidemann: David Piasente
W-WT EAGLES: Ron Fuller: ???

The title of this thread got me thinking about who was the last Captain/Coach in the SANFL. I know that Ebert and Blight both were C/C in 1985. I reckon Paul Weston may have been a C/C but can't recall what year he was. His last year in the VFL was 1985.

RussellEbertHandball said:
The title of this thread got me thinking about who was the last Captain/Coach in the SANFL. I know that Ebert and Blight both were C/C in 1985. I reckon Paul Weston may have been a C/C but can't recall what year he was. His last year in the VFL was 1985.

Paul Weston was playing Coach of West Torrens from 1986-88 but Bruce Lindsay was captain.

I have memory of Chris McDermott playing a few games for North Adelaide when he coached them in the late 1990s. but oncve again he wasn't captain. Mike Nunan played some games as coach in 1981. Barrie Robran also played some games as Coach.

Neil Balme was playing Coach for Norwood in 1981. Rick Davies and Graham Cornes were playing coaches at South Adelaide in the mid to late 80s. Merv Keane was playing coach of Sturt in 1985.

Last Captain-Coaches for each club were:
Central District: Tony Casserly 1974
Glenelg: Neil Kerley 1969
North Adelaide: Mike Patterson 1972
Norwood: Bob Hammond 1974
Port Adelaide: Russell Ebert 1985
South Adelaide: David Darcy 1973
Sturt: Glynn Williams 1961
West Adelaide: Bob Keddie 1973
West Torrens: Bill Barrot 1974
Woodville: Malcolm Blight 1985

So it seemed that the mid 70s was the era where most clubs abandoned the idea of captain-coaches, probably inspired by the success of contemporary coaches of that era Jack Oatey, John Cahill, Bob Hammond, Neil Kerley and although he did play that season, Mike Patterson's 1972 flag was as a non-playing coach. Also, the appointments of people like Barrot, Keddie and Darcy were a bit of a disaster for those clubs, appointing former "big name" VFL players.

Woodville and Port Adelaide continued to the mid 80s but in view of the players concerned, Blight and Ebert, it was probably understandable. Last Captain-Coach of a premiership team was Mike Patterson in 1971, and last Captain-Coach in a Grand Final was Russell Ebert in 1984.

jets06 said:
Mick Eagleton believe he played with West Adelaide in 2004, unsure where last year. Can some one give some assessment of him, can he play ??

He played a few league games in 2004, but struggled and played mainly reserves. I think he played in the Hills league last year. He's a neat player and would be more than useful at that level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Hawk said:
Paul Weston was playing Coach of West Torrens from 1986-88 but Bruce Lindsay was captain.

I have memory of Chris McDermott playing a few games for North Adelaide when he coached them in the late 1990s. but oncve again he wasn't captain. Mike Nunan played some games as coach in 1981. Barrie Robran also played some games as Coach.

Neil Balme was playing Coach for Norwood in 1981. Rick Davies and Graham Cornes were playing coaches at South Adelaide in the mid to late 80s. Merv Keane was playing coach of Sturt in 1985.

Last Captain-Coaches for each club were:
Central District: Tony Casserly 1974
Glenelg: Neil Kerley 1969
North Adelaide: Mike Patterson 1972
Norwood: Bob Hammond 1974
Port Adelaide: Russell Ebert 1985
South Adelaide: David Darcy 1973
Sturt: Glynn Williams 1961
West Adelaide: Bob Keddie 1973
West Torrens: Bill Barrot 1974
Woodville: Malcolm Blight 1985

So it seemed that the mid 70s was the era where most clubs abandoned the idea of captain-coaches, probably inspired by the success of contemporary coaches of that era Jack Oatey, John Cahill, Bob Hammond, Neil Kerley and although he did play that season, Mike Patterson's 1972 flag was as a non-playing coach. Also, the appointments of people like Barrot, Keddie and Darcy were a bit of a disaster for those clubs, appointing former "big name" VFL players.

Woodville and Port Adelaide continued to the mid 80s but in view of the players concerned, Blight and Ebert, it was probably understandable. Last Captain-Coach of a premiership team was Mike Patterson in 1971, and last Captain-Coach in a Grand Final was Russell Ebert in 1984.

interesting the history about captain/playing coaches, will any team appoint one in the future, considering SANFL is not as professional as that other league and most of the SANFL coaches are part time? I think not but strange things do happen
also interesting to note that the last captain coach in the VFL was in 79 when Jezza led the Blues to that famous win over Collingwood (interesting to me as a Blues supporter:cool: )

doubleblues said:
interesting the history about captain/playing coaches, will any team appoint one in the future, considering SANFL is not as professional as that other league and most of the SANFL coaches are part time? I think not but strange things do happen
also interesting to note that the last captain coach in the VFL was in 79 when Jezza led the Blues to that famous win over Collingwood (interesting to me as a Blues supporter:cool: )

Alex Jesaulenko was the last captain-coach of a VFL premiership team in 1979, but the last VFL Captain-Coach was Carl Ditterich at Melbourne in 1980. The last Playing Coaches were Alex Jesaulenko (St.Kilda) and Malcolm Blight (North Melbourne) in 1981.

Adelaide Hawk said:
Alex Jesaulenko was the last captain-coach of a VFL premiership team in 1979, but the last VFL Captain-Coach was Carl Ditterich at Melbourne in 1980. The last Playing Coaches were Alex Jesaulenko (St.Kilda) and Malcolm Blight (North Melbourne) in 1981.

true Hawk, I had premiership stars in my eyes:D
how could you forget Malcolm Blight, didnt finish the season

doubleblues said:
Greatest likelihood is that a returning ageing hero from the AFL gets the coaching gig and decides to keep playing (or, less sensibly, the club is only prepared to give him the coach's job on condition that he will!). As the SANFL is currently structured, you wouldn't put bad money on an existing SANFL player getting appointed as captain-coach. The thing making the 'warrior comes back to his roots' scenario less likely, is that those with insight into the fact that their best playing years are behind them are more likely to retire from all forms of the game; and those with no insight into that fact, who have been delisted from their AFL team and are playing SANFL for the cash, are exceedingly unlikely to have the qualities that make a good coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL Captain Coaches 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Back