Team Captain
Oct 14, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Sick of all this SANFL bashing re port.

Sanfl clubs operate on about 2 million bucks a year. Between 20 and 25% comes from the SANFL handout (eg matchday payments from Power/Crows) and the rest is generated through memberships, pokies, sponsors, gate takings etc. Ten years ago 50% of income was from the SANFL but this has been steadily shrinking. 2 Million aint a lot of bikkies to run league, reserves and juniors, especially when we can no longer go to sponsors and promise endless tv coverage like we used to.

SANFL salary cap IS higher than the WAFL and VFL. And so it should be. SANFL games have much higher attendances than WAFL and VFL games - about double VFL and 50% higher than WAFL. SANFL clubs also make cash out of pokies which the WAFL clubs don't. VFL clubs will field 10-12 AFL listed players (eg paid out of the AFL salary cap not the VFL cap) whereas SANFL clubs will have 2 or 3. And despite the higher salary cap we still regularly lose players to country leagues who can pay more. Cutting the SANFL salary cap would make bugger all difference to Port but a huge blow to one of the the oldest leagues in the world.

And just on the SANFL itself - it's a far fairer competition than the AFL. The draw is a a rotating draw (so you end up playing each team an equal number of times home and away, just not in the same season). Anzac day is reserved for last years grand finalist. There's no draft - each club has a metro and country zone to develop, and if you don't do that well then you don't win games. Each club has the same salary cap. Drafting players outside your zone/state requires a transfer fee. The very worst thing that can happen to a club is to have a player drafted to an AFL side - there's a bit of cash but you'd rather keep the player.

So why don't you agitate for more monies from the AFL, similar to the other comps and teams around Australia, instead of blaming Port?
Wouldn't that require handing over some power to the AFL, which from the sounds of many of the posts on this subject, the SANFL seems loathe to do?

Isn't the salary cap ignored in the sanfl? Isn't that why Centrals have been winning for so long? Isn't the power hold by the SANFL the real issue ie not letting them sell games and play away from AAMI?

As a person who has followed SANFL football since the 1960s, I've had it with Port Adelaide. All they do is whinge and blame other clubs, mismanage their own club, and then hold out their hands for more as if by devine right.

Remember one thing Port Adelaide. The SANFL bought the licence, they own it. Port Adelaide accepted it on SANFL terms, and that was to provide support so the SANFL competition could survive.

Nobody held a gun to Port's head and forced them to bid. Now they want to change the agreement because it doesn't suit them .. well suck it up Port. You're failing, and it's YOUR fault, nobody else's. You would never have won a licence on your own, so STFU and start behaving like a business, not some charity.

If anyone should be complaining it's the SANFL. I used to admire the Port Adelaide Football club so much .. those days are long gone.

One of the oldest leagues in the world?? What are you talking about? The SANFL wasn't formed until 1927.

That's like saying the AFL wasn't formed until 1990. The competition began in 1877, all it's had along the way is a change of name and a couple of changes of clubs.

So what's it to be? Collingwood have only won 2 flags?

One of the oldest leagues in the world?? What are you talking about? The SANFL wasn't formed until 1927.

........lol

this forum needs a serious overhaul

As a person who has followed SANFL football since the 1960s, I've had it with Port Adelaide. All they do is whinge and blame other clubs, mismanage their own club, and then hold out their hands for more as if by devine right.

Remember one thing Port Adelaide. The SANFL bought the licence, they own it. Port Adelaide accepted it on SANFL terms, and that was to provide support so the SANFL competition could survive.

Nobody held a gun to Port's head and forced them to bid. Now they want to change the agreement because it doesn't suit them .. well suck it up Port. You're failing, and it's YOUR fault, nobody else's. You would never have won a licence on your own, so STFU and start behaving like a business, not some charity.

If anyone should be complaining it's the SANFL. I used to admire the Port Adelaide Football club so much .. those days are long gone.

Wrong. Port bought the license. $4 million. But the SANFL own both licenses, Port and Crows.

So how would you feel about the present VFL, not the present AFL, owning Hawthorn's license and getting monies straight from Hawthorn and using it to prop up the VFL clubs?

Wouldn't that require handing over some power to the AFL, which from the sounds of many of the posts on this subject, the SANFL seems loathe to do?

the biggest issue for me is how it's branded.

Most outside of Victoria are sick and tired of the gradual creep towards 'Victoriarising' the game. We have an 'AFL Hall of Fame' when its actually an Australia Football Hall of Fame and all we hear about is how middle of the road Victorian footballers deserve to go in over out and out champions of other leagues because of some misguided belief that the VFL >>>> anyone else throughout eternity.

I don't blame the SANFL for telling the AFL to stick their 'AFL-SA' up their arse and that goes for the WAFL as well. There is no justification for the AFL deciding that we all play 'AFL' rather than Aussie Rules and re-branding everything into their own image.

Most State Leagues are run better, have more interesting games, umpired properly with proper rules that the game was started on, not the latest wankfest fad that a lawyer and his cronies dream up or rubbish game plans that most AFL coaches now come up with.

SANFL Clubs are proper Clubs, AFL Clubs are franchises with a roster. SANFL Clubs have a league team, reserves, U18's (until recently U19's and U17's) an U15 development squad, country zones and metro zones. They're proper Clubs with actual community ties that provide oppurtunity for dozens of kids to play sport, without the expectation that every kid has to be a #1 draft pick to have any value or self worth.

The AFL on the other hand have no issue with withholding money into States that are not developing States just because they don't like how things are run, the pressure to create a U18's here was akin to extortion. Self proclaimed custodian of the game as long you only do what they want, when they want and how they want .... or then comes the tantrum and threats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the biggest issue for me is how it's branded.

Most outside of Victoria are sick and tired of the gradual creep towards 'Victoriarising' the game. We have an 'AFL Hall of Fame' when its actually an Australia Football Hall of Fame and all we hear about is how middle of the road Victorian footballers deserve to go in over out and out champions of other leagues because of some misguided belief that the VFL >>>> anyone else throughout eternity.

I don't blame the SANFL for telling the AFL to stick their 'AFL-SA' up their arse and that goes for the WAFL as well. There is no justification for the AFL deciding that we all play 'AFL' rather than Aussie Rules and re-branding everything into their own image.

Most State Leagues are run better, have more interesting games, umpired properly with proper rules that the game was started on, not the latest wankfest fad that a lawyer and his cronies dream up or rubbish game plans that most AFL coaches now come up with.

SANFL Clubs are proper Clubs, AFL Clubs are franchises with a roster. SANFL Clubs have a league team, reserves, U18's (until recently U19's and U17's) an U15 development squad, country zones and metro zones. They're proper Clubs with actual community ties that provide oppurtunity for dozens of kids to play sport, without the expectation that every kid has to be a #1 draft pick to have any value or self worth.

The AFL on the other hand have no issue with withholding money into States that are not developing States just because they don't like how things are run, the pressure to create a U18's here was akin to extortion. Self proclaimed custodian of the game as long you only do what they want, when they want and how they want .... or then comes the tantrum and threats.

Seriously very good post mate. Unfortunately their will be many in a state east of you that would have forgotten what the word club means.
They simply will not and refuse to understand.:thumbsu:

I love the SANFL as a league and as a standard but I do have issues with what they do. Pretty much every club except for Centrals has been in big financial strife in the last 6-8 years. They persist with a salary cap that is double the size of any other league and most clubs rely on pokie income to survive. Why not drop the salary cap and put the extra $1.8 million back into junior development in the state?

we make money for the SANFL to fund the SANFL clubs when they are struggling, so they can damn well do it back when we are struggling.

Anyone know what is the makeup of the SANFL debt. I thought they own Football Park freehold, maybe not then. If so where is all this debt from.

I am a Port supporter that doesnt want our own league to give in to the self appointed Victorians who think they control Australian Rules Football. I still want a strong local competition.

But most importantly I want a better stadium deal for my club and would ofcourse prefer to have our own license

I've been to Adelaide once. 'Twas the early '90's and my memories are vague. 'Twas a footy trip. We bused it over from Western Victoria. I remember we did footy trip stuff, but not so much the details of the stuff. I do remember that this was the early Crows days and the SANFL had their premiership a week after the AFL. That week we were there. Weiderman won the BOG I think. at least he was on the front page of the local equivalent of the Hun.

The SANFL was a big league then. The AFL was a big Victorian league with a few add-ons. I liked strong state leagues. I'm not sure they're best for footy, but my anti-establishment sentimentality makes me think strong state leagues are good state leagues instead of a strong central league.

Oh well, we live in a world were the VFL is the old VFA but a joke. The WAFL not much more, and the SANFL strips its AFL clubs to hold on.

What's right or wrong?

As much as I love Essendon. I think that in the best interests of footy either a league with promotion or relegation or something fashioned basing teams on population would've been the way to go. (4 teams in Melbourne, 2 in every other major capital, 1 each in Hobart, Darwin, and Canberra, and perhaps a regional team...) But footy is so parochial and so we have the shit fight we have................

That's like saying the AFL wasn't formed until 1990. The competition began in 1877, all it's had along the way is a change of name and a couple of changes of clubs.

So what's it to be? Collingwood have only won 2 flags?

it was a troll, because south australians love to carry on and whinge that AFL is not the VFL etc.....

SANFL salary cap IS higher than the WAFL and VFL. And so it should be. SANFL games have much higher attendances than WAFL and VFL games - about double VFL and 50% higher than WAFL. SANFL clubs also make cash out of pokies which the WAFL clubs don't. VFL clubs will field 10-12 AFL listed players (eg paid out of the AFL salary cap not the VFL cap) whereas SANFL clubs will have 2 or 3. And despite the higher salary cap we still regularly lose players to country leagues who can pay more. Cutting the SANFL salary cap would make bugger all difference to Port but a huge blow to one of the the oldest leagues in the world.

Just for an opposing and impartial point of view I think it'd be a great idea if the SANFL lowered the salary cap. Considering the whole point of a salary cap is to slightly even out the competition, it obviously isn't working as Centrals just keep on winning!

Dropping it would allow for better development of young local talent and I'd hazard a guess that both Port and the Crows would much rather see the money they lose to the SANFL used to help develop kids than being used to buy players from other states.

For example over the last few years S.A have been contributing fewer draftees, the average is about 8-10 over the past 5 years (the Oakleigh Chargers produced 7 alone last year). Imagine if each club were to remove enough from the salary cap to employ a top notch development officer to work with the under 21's. With better player development rather than a higher salary cap the S.A recruitment could rise to 15 which will no doubt benefit the Power and Crows in the long run. Because it means that more kids could look at coming home in the future and more S.A talent would stay with the local clubs.....

we make money for the SANFL to fund the SANFL clubs when they are struggling, so they can damn well do it back when we are struggling.

Anyone know what is the makeup of the SANFL debt. I thought they own Football Park freehold, maybe not then. If so where is all this debt from.

I am a Port supporter that doesnt want our own league to give in to the self appointed Victorians who think they control Australian Rules Football. I still want a strong local competition.

But most importantly I want a better stadium deal for my club and would ofcourse prefer to have our own license

They do.

However, I reckon the debt is a bit of a furphy to just get the AFL to do what they want, put their hand in their pocket for a change.

The best thing for our Clubs is when they sell off AAMI land and then invest ashitload and everyone wins + the SANFL get a brand new stadium to play with for 7 months a year

Dropping it would allow for better development of young local talent and I'd hazard a guess that both Port and the Crows would much rather see the money they lose to the SANFL used to help develop kids than being used to buy players from other states.

For example over the last few years S.A have been contributing fewer draftees, the average is about 8-10 over the past 5 years (the Oakleigh Chargers produced 7 alone last year).

Except most 'interstate' players are not highly paid. Our local Ammo Clubs pay better than the SANFL. Toby Thurstans is getting paid more at Keith than he did at Sturt. Matt Duldig got cut by Glenelg, went to the Barossa, earned more money there and has now taken a pay cut to play for Sturt this year to have one more shot at SANFL after Brant Chambers got sacked. Glenelg are constantly losing SANFL players to clubs like Brighton.

Glenelg's captain is a Victorian, basically plays for nothing and would be close to their best player. You can argue that the salary cap will go down but the interstaters will still be here and the Ammo's will be chock full of even more footballers as they shell out $600-$700 a game.

It's a myth. Most of the money goes to local players, or blokes like the Gowans who have been here for a decade and won 8 flags.

Who funds and is responsible for the National U18's comp that allows the Oakleigh Chargers to have all those draftees and to what extent? Who funds and is responsible for the SANFL U18's and to what extent?

The clubs should be spending less. What a joke that they are paying washed up hacks over the odds when really they should be cutting down.

The SANFL love to say "We have the second best Aussie Rules comp in the country" ****ing laughable.

SANFL clubs should spend less, and while we're at it, PAFC shouldn't be pumped money each year into these pathetic nothing clubs. The league finished when the greatest club moved into the AFL in 97.

I blame the SANFL and its clubs. Can't wait till we get our independence

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL Clubs - not the bad guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back