Toast Sauce

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the incredible 61 hitouts, Sauce also had 19 possessions and laid two tackles. His bullocking work at centre bounces and boundary throw-ins was also great. A most worthy Showdown medal winner.

I'm always pretty confident when he's got it in his hands too. I know he's got that "lumbering ruckman" thing about him, but he seems to make decent decisions and hit his target.

The 1 player we can least afford to get injured/suspended as hardest to replace (touch wood!!) A huge barometer of the team - reckon he was flat/had the flu v Kangaroos & look what happened.

Can't wait to see him take on Nat/Cox combo!

Our best trade since the Mcleod/Jarman era. We may buggar up trades like Tambling, but better to take calculated risks than die wandering.

Sauce is very confident with the ball in hand, unlike many (most?) ruckmen. This gives us a big advantage around the stoppages as he is effectively another midfielder. He is apparently trying to model his game on Cox so expect to see more around the ground work. Big test against WC coming up. He needs to at least break even with Cox. Can't see anyone stopping NicNat.

Unlucky for us that Lynch only gets one week. Would have eased the load on Jacobs with Cox and Naitanui spending more time in the goalsquare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLCA Votes are in

Adelaide v Port Adelaide:
10 S Jacobs (Adel)
8 R Henderson (Adel)
6 S Thompson (Adel)
4 N van Berlo (Adel)
1 B Vince (Adel)
1 P Stewart (Adel)

Champion.

Overall leaderboard after round 15
67 Jobe Watson (Ess)
65 Scott Thompson (Adel)
63 Matthew Boyd (WB)
61 Trent Cotchin (Rich)
55 Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
52 Dayne Beams (Coll), Joel Selwood (Geel)
49 Gary Ablett (GC), Brent Stanton (Ess)
47 Lance Franklin (Haw), Dane Swan

Interesting that most game reports I read after the showdown called the Power ruckman "Young Lobbe". Like he is some young rookie kid, unfairly up against a monster of a man in Jacobs.

Just for the record, Jacobs is a whopping 6 months older. Lobbe was a number 15 pick in 2007, Jacobs was overlooked in the 2006 draft and had to settle for a rookie spot...

surprised this hasn't been bumped since 2012 but it was the only Sauce on toast thread I could find. 100 AFL games up on the weekend and the club have put up a little highlights package for the big man.

look at those taps! Should hit 100 club games next year too, good on him.

Shaun Rehn's 1998 season was as good as I've seen from a big man.

Statistically, Sauce's 2014 bears comparison with it.

Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag.
Rehn (1998) 10.4 6.8 17.2 5.7 0.2 0.4 1.5 21.8 1.4 1.2
Jacobs (2014) 8.8 7.8 16.6 4.2 0.3 0.1 2.1 32.3 0.5 0.6

Let's hope the boys bring it home for his 100th.

He's super for us. I just wish he didnt ruck so deep into our fwd line. He plays massive minutes on a per game basis and we drive him into the ground during that time. But he's just been an amazing pick-up at the price and we'd just about be effed without him.

Very hard to believe that he was 3rd string at Carlton. Makes me wonder whether I'm too hard on our coaching group.

He's super for us. I just wish he didnt ruck so deep into our fwd line. He plays massive minutes on a per game basis and we drive him into the ground during that time. But he's just been an amazing pick-up at the price and we'd just about be effed without him.

Very hard to believe that he was 3rd string at Carlton. Makes me wonder whether I'm too hard on our coaching group.
4th string actually

Is by far the best Ruckman around the ground in the league.

Which is great considering he was a bit of a dinosaur and has really imroved on this aspect of his game. His ground ball work and link man role is a key asset to our side. Not to mention his strong marking and set shot kicking. His dominance in Ruck is almost a negligible part of his game and his importance to our side. He really is a tall midfielder now.

I would almost say that we could bring in another Ruckman to play a traditional sole Ruck role and have Sauce play Pod's role (with the bonus of relief Rucking) once he retires. Allowing Jenkins to become a full time forward.

Is by far the best Ruckman around the ground in the league.

Which is great considering he was a bit of a dinosaur and has really imroved on this aspect of his game. His ground ball work and link man role is a key asset to our side. Not to mention his strong marking and set shot kicking.

I would almost say that we could bring in another Ruckman to play a traditional sole Ruck role and have Sauce play Pod's role (with the bonus of relief Rucking) once he retires. Allowing Jenkins to become a full time forward.
now lets not get carried away...

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Sauce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back