Saxaphone in rock music

Remove this Banner Ad

Bobby Keys springs to mind. I knew his work from the classic stones albums and I find he pops up on all sorts of stuff, was listening to "when the city drops into the night" by jim carroll recently and thought the sax part sounded like him, sure enough, it was. turns out he also played with buddy holly, elvis, chuck berry, eric clapton, lynyrd skynyrd, doctor john, leon russell, warren zevon, joe cocker, john lennon, bb king, marvin gaye, humble pie, the faces, george harrison, ringo starr, paul mcCartney, sheryl crow and even leo bloody sayer

Like alot of people, i've been listening to heaps of Bowie since his death, & surprised how much sax is in his music, even his Berlin/Eno period when he was experimenting with electronic sounds.

Diamond Dogs
Young Americans (pretty much whole album)
Modern Love
Lady Grinning Soul
Sound & Vision
Suffragette City
Changes
Sorrow
TVC 15
Soul Love
Blue Jean

Last edited:
Tina Turner - The Best

does Dave Stewart and Candy Dulfer's, Lily Was Here count?

Eurythmics - Would I Lie To You and a number of other songs by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Mackay did some fine work with The Stooges Funhouse album.

There's also some killer sax on the Iggy Pop/James Williamson collaboration Kill City. It's a real feature of the album - I'm not sure who played sax on it but Mackay was brilliant live on Kill City tracks with The Stooges after their reformation.

This times 1000. Still best album of all time IMHO

Was just listening to one today and now can't think of it :p
I like Steely Dan's tribute to Charlie Parker, 'Parker's Band'

I can't be sure but it may have been Tom Scott, i.e., from Tom Scott and the LA Express. Scott was the saxophonist on Aja. 'Deacon Blues' is probably the best example of his work on that album- he makes his sax buzz through the track like a chainsaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saxaphone in rock music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back