Schools and the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Flying Joey

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2005
Other Teams
Joeys Red
does wat school u go to improve ur chances of being drafted?? do the well-known "footy" schools receive mosre exposure?? discuss

Im guessing you want us to say that if you go to SHC you are more likley to get drafted because their is so much football culture and tradition within those walls.....(yawn)

yes they recieve more exposure but it is not the be all and end all. If i was scouting i couldnt care what school a kid went to. They go there to get educated, having a good footy program is a bouns as far as im concerned. The clubs are more likley to make a final descision on a lads personality and personal development rather than trivial stats such as which club or school they come from.

That is my opinion anyway.

i reckon that yes it does. Scouts would be more interested in a SHC-RC game, over lesser know shools, like Padare-Gleeson.

Cheers

Yes i think it helps to go to a more well known school as there are scouts at most of the big games generall. However i agree with MJ a bit that if you have enough talent, scouts wont care what school you go to and they will make the effort to watch you, wherever you play.

Schools have absolutely no influence on if u get drafted. period. U think a club is going to draft u because you go to SHC? pfft. Thats why u see alot of the best players coming from regional and relatively unknown areas. Seldom are the GREAT players from well known footballing areas. TAC level is much more important than school level, simply because it is so much better.

where was shc mentioned?? i meant all schools in general... it came up in conversation with a mate about another player from a school that plays mainly vs seconds teams.. this kid has the ability to play afl, if not sanfl, but the school he attends isnt as nurturing as say a big sporting school.. this is why i started this thread because i believe had he gone to a school/college that took pride in its teams (that includes gleeson/pedare/henley/others as they take huge pride in how they present themselves against opposition teams) he would be in a much better position than wat he is now

Flying Joey said:
where was shc mentioned?? i meant all schools in general... it came up in conversation with a mate about another player from a school that plays mainly vs seconds teams.. this kid has the ability to play afl, if not sanfl, but the school he attends isnt as nurturing as say a big sporting school.. this is why i started this thread because i believe had he gone to a school/college that took pride in its teams (that includes gleeson/pedare/henley/others as they take huge pride in how they present themselves against opposition teams) he would be in a much better position than wat he is now

Good Call. I brought up SHC and apologise. I imagined this thread was going to be an extension of previous arguments.
Who is this player????

its hard to say, any player would have to go to a school that has had draftees in the past in order to get noticed, and then it wouldnt matter what school he went to in the eyes of a scout. but it would be difficult for a player who didnt go to a known football school to get noticed and so i think its a difficult point to discuss.

i reckon that for stars, it wouldnt matter what school you went to, but for those who are good, but not dominant, it helps to go to a better know shool where scouts are looking more often.

Cheers

looks like a few of the SHC boys owe me an apology in another thread i said Raymond would get drafted and Elliot wouldnt, you all had a mass go at me.... looks like i was right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

u also said jace bode would get drafted higher than elliott... just a lucky guess.. speaking of bode, if u see him, ask him if his bald spot is sore from sunday nite

i no at my old school we had recruiters at our games all the time. they'd ring up and ask about the players schooling and attitude as well so i reckon school does play a big part. i wont name my school or the players but one kid was badly injured in his final tac cup year but his stellar year before with the school got him snapped up whereas one players poor attitude to school and arrogance to his peers got him no where

Flying Joey said:
u also said jace bode would get drafted higher than elliott... just a lucky guess.. speaking of bode, if u see him, ask him if his bald spot is sore from sunday nite

that i did. he still may in the pre season draft:p

it wasnt a lucky guess, in terms of AFL footy Raymond has way more upside than both Elliot and Bode and as good as bode was at the nationals he was apparently a bit of a reciever which surprised me a bit andthis is one reason he was over looked.

RooDog said:
that i did. he still may in the pre season draft:p

it wasnt a lucky guess, in terms of AFL footy Raymond has way more upside than both Elliot and Bode and as good as bode was at the nationals he was apparently a bit of a reciever which surprised me a bit andthis is one reason he was over looked.

so ur saying u thought bode was indside player AND that ur prediction wasnt a lucky guess?? i think anyone who thinks bode will get his bald spot hurt hasnt seen enough footy

Flying Joey said:
so ur saying u thought bode was indside player AND that ur prediction wasnt a lucky guess?? i think anyone who thinks bode will get his bald spot hurt hasnt seen enough footy

i have also seen a lot more of elliot and raymond over the past two seasons than Bode, Bode ive seen maybe 3-4 times compared with probably 10-15 times for the other two.

In two of these games i saw Bode nearly single handedly beat Saints and Rossies by be hard at it and putting his body on the line time after time, one was after playing a reserves game the night before too in the wet...

When you compare Elliot to Raymond its easy to see Phil as much more upside, he is tall, athletic, a good kick, reasonable hands and has good stamina too. Elliot realistically is just another vanilla midfielder with no stand out attributes like other midfielders taken in the draft.

my friend roo, u must research more.. 3 things clubs look for:
character- and we all no bode has plenty of that!!
kicking- they arent prepared to teach kids to kick
competitiveness- hunger for the contest

this is a fact and are the three MAIN things they will look for.. any grey area in these catagories will not help players chances with a club... and most ppl no bode only covers one of those (and only with one of his legs)

IMO :) It makes no differents if you go to a school with good football programs. It all comes down if you are good enough and if you are what the AFL clubs are looking for at the time. Flying Joey is on the money when he mentioned about character kicking (skills) and comptitiveness. All I can say is good luck if that is what you want, it isn't easy and it means a hell of a lot of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Schools and the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back