Schooner or Pot or Middy

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the size of the shitty glasses they give you at the sports bar at Crown? The ones with the little handle like you're drinking a mug of coffee? I went up there at 3am once and asked for a "pot of Carlton" and the lady looked at me like I had three eyes.

It was probably more a case of the old blokes dying out.
That's it

What's the size of the shitty glasses they give you at the sports bar at Crown? The ones with the little handle like you're drinking a mug of coffee? I went up there at 3am once and asked for a "pot of Carlton" and the lady looked at me like I had three eyes.
Maybe she's an ardent Coopers girl?

Schooners are rare as hen's teeth down here. VB have actually ****** up their own guide! Schooner would be in between 285 (pot) and 425 (pint)

This is quite old.

You find in most pubs in Victoria these days a combination of the following - Pot (285ml), Schooner (425ml - becoming more and more widespread) & a Pint (568ml - imperial pint).

This is quite old.

You find in most pubs in Victoria these days a combination of the following - Pot (285ml), Schooner (425ml - becoming more and more widespread) & a Pint (568ml - imperial pint).

Ah cheers, I wouldnt know how many mLs is what – just that the pint is the big one!

That picture is ******ed. A WA Pint is a fair bit larger than an eastern state schooner. Unless its a pint of creatine.

A few establishments here (places in Subi for example) are starting to go with "schooners". I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't pronounced "skooner", I remember a guy serving me one a few weeks back had the gall to look at me like I was dirt because I said "shooner". Just sounds pretentious as **** to me. It's probably extremely common here now but I don't go out drinking too much anymore.

Looking at that chart though I never realised it was common in every state but WA, anyone know where it was coined originally?

Never heard of those number terms in Tassie. Although I pretty much exclusively buy jugs, steins and pints (proper half jug-sized pints).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

Pint = 570mL.

If you ask for a pint and get 425 mL (ie a schooner) then you immediately give the bartender a look that suggests he's missing the rest of your beer.
SA pint is 425 mL - Imperial Pint is 570mL

Always a nice suprise heading to Melbs and orderring a pint

Ordered a 'half of cider' in Perth last week (it was for my mum, I'm not some pansy) and got served the equivalent of an SA pint (it would be schooner according to OP). Must be a new thing in Perth - been exclusively middys/half-pints and pints for as long as I can remember.

425ml is a pint, is it? I have several pint glasses in my cupboard which have been 'liberated' from various establishments over the years. The measurement on the bottom reads 560ml and the odd few read 570ml. If it aint an Imperial Pint it's not a bloody pint at all! A pot is meant to be 285ml, but I have the odd pot that is 280ml!
****ing oath. you can't take an actual measurement like a pint and change it's definition.

A schooner or a pot or a middy which are just made up measurements for beer i can see, but a pint is a pint is a pint.

SA pint is 425 mL - Imperial Pint is 570mL

Always a nice suprise heading to Melbs and orderring a pint

SA is a disgrace.

Pint is an Imperial unit of measure. It's 1/8 of a gallon, which is either 568 mL or 473 mL depending on whether it's an Imperial or US liquid gallon.

The US are a pack of campaigners for having their own modified version of a system of measure that everyone else moved on from many decades ago, but under no circumstances is 425 mL an acceptable volume to be considered a pint.

Sort out your shit, SA.

******* oath. you can't take an actual measurement like a pint and change it's definition.

This!

A schooner or a pot or a middy which are just made up measurements for beer i can see, but a pint is a pint is a pint.

A middy is half an Imperial pint. Two middies to a pint, two pints to a jug. Simples.

Schooner is the odd one out. Bares no relationship to the others.

SA is a disgrace.

Pint is an Imperial unit of measure. It's 1/8 of a gallon, which is either 568 mL or 473 mL depending on whether it's an Imperial or US liquid gallon.

The US are a pack of campaigners for having their own modified version of a system of measure that everyone else moved on from many decades ago, but under no circumstances is 425 mL an acceptable volume to be considered a pint.

Sort out your shit, SA.
Think thats bad, lots of places now just have the one size, cafe style glasses (370 mL)!

Make some good beer though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Schooner or Pot or Middy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back