Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Schwarzer axed for 'past performances': Hiddink
Friday Jun 23 08:45 AEST
Australia coach Guus Hiddink axed first choice goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and it almost cost the Socceroos a place in the second round of the World Cup.

Schwarzer was benched in favour of AC milan reserve Zeljko Kalac who had a nightmare match in the 2-2 draw against Croatia and was at fault for their opponents' second goal which could have knocked them out of the tournament.

"I had to make a choice," said Hiddink who explained that Schwarzer was dropped because of "past performances".

Kalac allowed a speculative 56th-minute drive from Niko Kovac to bounce over him and into the goal.

That gave Croatia a 2-1 lead and one foot in the next round until Harry Kewell levelled for Australia 12 minutes from the end to earn the point they needed to qualify from Group F.

"Kalac learnt quickly that you have to concentrate all the time at this high level," said the coach.

"He committed little mistakes which cost us dear."

crownie said:
past performances?

Uruguay penalty shoot out
Holland practise match

surely theres something we dont know about

Japan and Brazil? ...he did let goals go though, but geez Guus!

I didnt think he did too badly in those games myself.

He MUST come back for Italy; I think theres little doubt.

Ari said:
Japan and Brazil? ...he did let goals go though, but geez Guus!

I would hate know know what the score would have been if Kalac lined up against Brazil.

Guus loves Kalac, has since he came to Australia. That worries me.

I think it's clear that Hiddink is a Kalac fan, and wanted to give him every chance to prove Hiddink's theory that he is the #1 keeper (which most, including I, disagree with). It was a pretty bad idea, but lack of imagination was one of the major criticism of Frank Farina. Hiddink has taken a few gambles so far in the Cup and the vast majority have paid off. I think he'll put this idea to rest for now though.

Not saying Guus is the be all and end all of futbol oracles, thankfully it won't be his last mistake.

If you had seen him at the end of the EPL season you would understand why, If Kalac had match practice he would be our first choice keeper but he hasnt.

Its kind of better the devil you know situation here.

I think Ante Covic has gotta be there somewhere in the picture. A well-reputed started with one of Stockholms premier clubs - Hammarby IF - and since we play over the northern summer here he's come into the squad with a dozen+ recent games under his belt with Hammarby sitting comfortably on top. I've seen him play and he is a very good goalkeeper that deserves a chance if the other options aren't firing...

I realise the Swedish Allsvenskan isn't the Serie A or EPL but it is no mugs league either, and there are merits in picking a player who plays regularly and is in form rather than a bloke who's picking splinters out of his ar$e (Kalacs 3 games with Juventus last season).

OMG .>>>> past performances??? wtf?

Kalac is no better than the local league's premium keeper. :rolleyes:
Calamity stuff up and how about that goofy goal line fumble.:mad: That was pathetic. Kalac makes me nervous as hell. Lucky that our defence was awake or we would be branding Kalac as Guus' Goose.

Saved by the skin of Guus' teeth.

Schwarzer had a great season with Middlesborough. He has performed sensationally for Australia especially against Uruguay, the Netherlands and evennJapan and Brasil. Kalac for mine lacks mobility. He looks awkward. The first free kick Schwarzer would probably have NOT got near it either, so no blame there. After that though his handling skills and decision making were horrible. Three clear errors one of which cost a goal......you just don't see Schwarzer making those errors. For me Super Guus made a mistake with Kalac last nite.

FrediKanoute said:
Schwarzer had a great season with Middlesborough. He has performed sensationally for Australia especially against Uruguay, the Netherlands and evennJapan and Brasil. Kalac for mine lacks mobility. He looks awkward. The first free kick Schwarzer would probably have NOT got near it either, so no blame there. After that though his handling skills and decision making were horrible. Three clear errors one of which cost a goal......you just don't see Schwarzer making those errors. For me Super Guus made a mistake with Kalac last nite.
I pretty much agree with you. Kalac is no where near as mobile as Schwarzer and he doesn't have as big of a leep as Schwarzer as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't been thrilled with the performances of Schwarzer so far this tournament, but it was a big mistake to replace him. MY heart sank when I saw Kalac singing the national anthem.

Still, I'll forgive Guus for that one, he's got a few credits in the bank.

Remember the Japanses goal? Remember the way Schwazer tip-toed up to the butch Japanese strikers and daintily reached for the cross? Considering Croatia attack down the wings, throw in crosses, and are about the tallest and most physical side in the penalty area - well you can understand the thinking. Problem is Kalac is a confidence player and once he made the first howler he was toast for the afternoon.

Weaver said:
Remember the Japanses goal? Remember the way Schwazer tip-toed up to the butch Japanese strikers and daintily reached for the cross? Considering Croatia attack down the wings, throw in crosses, and are about the tallest and most physical side in the penalty area - well you can understand the thinking. Problem is Kalac is a confidence player and once he made the first howler he was toast for the afternoon.
All players are confidence players. It is possible now who ever plays keeper will feel a little under pressure.
Even prior to the game saying Kalac is better on crosses/long throw and physically was totally wrong. I don't think Schwarzer is a star but he is easily the best keeper of the two.
I think part of the problem was the lack of change after the last World Cup campaign. Farina should have turned the squad over and tried some new keepers and defenders out. Didaluca left because he wasn't given an opportunities even in the squad and we are short on for defenders.

If I see Kalac in the squad singing the national anthem before the Italy game I will shut the TV off and go to bed. I already lost a year of my life watching us against Croatia with no goalkeeper. I don't need to stress my nerves like that again.

I hope Hiddink does not instantly become a moron come Tuesday morning by leaving Schwartzer on the bench.

FootyJunkie said:
If I see Kalac in the squad singing the national anthem before the Italy game I will shut the TV off and go to bed. I already lost a year of my life watching us against Croatia with no goalkeeper. I don't need to stress my nerves like that again.

Save yourself the time and log on to http://www.fifaworldcup.com around 30mins before kickoff - the team sheets will have been submitted by then and you can see the line-up Guus has chosen. Won't even need to turn the TV on if Kalac is named again!

FootyJunkie said:

I hope Hiddink does not instantly become a moron come Tuesday morning by leaving Schwartzer on the bench.

I tend to agree. I mean, ill watch it either way.... but I think theres no chance that Kalac will be selected again. Certainly not against Italy with their style of play.

Ive watched the replay a couple times since the game and have been horrified with the way Kalac lost it in the 2nd half. I mean, I understand that it was always going to be crazy in the last 15 with Croatia needing a goal to stay in it but still. Kalac was completely out of position on many occasions and the ball got behind him about 3 times only to be saved on the last line by Aussie defenders. It was atrocious... nothing less than. We were so lucky in the end. I actually said after Kalac let the 2nd one through that we need to play a man standing behind him and we basically. That is, we basically did play a man standing behind him.... and boy did that pay off!

Remove this Banner Ad

Schwarzer axed for 'past performances': Hiddink

Remove this Banner Ad

Back