Scotch or Bourbon?

Remove this Banner Ad

FrangaRoo said:
Have an obsession with Bourbon.

Have built up over the years from Old Crow, Woodstock to Cougar, Jim Beam to Wild Turkey & Makers Mark.

Cant drink any premix but Wild Turkey now, makes me sick and they dont get me loaded like Turkey.

Want to start working into decent scotch, have a few bottles of Glenfiddich variatals ive obtained from work that are screaming out to be experianced.

The old man loves his Bulleit Frontier Bourbon Whiskey. You give that a go...it will get you 'loaded' :p

Smokin_Joe said:
The old man loves his Bulleit Frontier Bourbon Whiskey. You give that a go...it will get you 'loaded' :p

Yeah, thats another decent premix. High alcohol & high price....but quality bourbon so its all good:thumbsu:

- Wild Turkey rare breed on the rocks - the greatest.

Smokin_Joe said:
great selection there...have u tried Dimple?

Yeah I have tried Dimple - Nice bottle. Not sure but I think it's a blend. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I don't mind the blended whisky's either and always keep them on hand as many of the males in my extended family drink scotch like it was beer. Can get very expensive if your always drinking the single malts.

I always used to be a bourbon man - Jack Daniels was the go. Then I started drinking beer and haven't really had bourbon for a while.

I always used to think scotch was too sweet - probably because my only experience was with Johnny Red, which seemed really sweet. Then I tried some more expensive stuff - Macallan 12 and 18 - and that opened my eyes a little.

A good aged scotch with a splash of water and a bit of air is alcoholic heaven to me now. Can't afford a bottle though!

copernicus said:
I always used to be a bourbon man - Jack Daniels was the go. Then I started drinking beer and haven't really had bourbon for a while.

I always used to think scotch was too sweet - probably because my only experience was with Johnny Red, which seemed really sweet. Then I tried some more expensive stuff - Macallan 12 and 18 - and that opened my eyes a little.

A good aged scotch with a splash of water and a bit of air is alcoholic heaven to me now. Can't afford a bottle though!

Jack Daniels isn't Bourbon, it's whiskey. No similarity with Bourbon at all, but very nice to have neat or on the rocks.

Jim Beam = that grey area between cheap bourbons and decent bourbons. I quite like it and it's about as low as I like to go.

Jack Daniels = over rated. It's not actually bourbon either. It's sour mash or rye or something like that. Had it explained to me once but canny remember.

Wild Turkey = this is my preference.

Makers Mark = A little bit more expensive but a tasty flavour.

Black Thunder said:
scotch and irish whiskey is without a doubt the way to go. glenfiddich and jamieson's are a fantastic drop.

both are very similar - the only difference really being the country of which they were made and distilled.

No they aren't.

Scotch is completely different. It's made with peat smoked malt, and Irish whiskey is unsmoked.

Jameson is the mildest of Irish whiskeys, which must be why it is marketed worldwide.

Try some Bushmills, Tullamore Dew or Paddy's for a more complex taste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bresker said:
Try some Bushmills, Tullamore Dew or Paddy's for a more complex taste.

You can't beat irish whiskey, it has helped me through essendons 10 game losing streak. A double shot straight(**** the ice off) is the way to go, if you want to water it down then add some scotch.;)

Bushmills, Tullamore dew, Teachers, they're all good.

marcuz said:
You can't beat irish whiskey, it has helped me through essendons 10 game losing streak. A double shot straight(**** the ice off) is the way to go, if you want to water it down then add some scotch.;)

Bushmills, Tullamore dew, Teachers, they're all good.

Teachers Highland Cream :thumbsu:

Dont overlook Jamieson though :)

bunsen burner said:
Jim Beam = that grey area between cheap bourbons and decent bourbons. I quite like it and it's about as low as I like to go.

Jack Daniels = over rated. It's not actually bourbon either. It's sour mash or rye or something like that. Had it explained to me once but canny remember.

Wild Turkey = this is my preference.

Makers Mark = A little bit more expensive but a tasty flavour.
Wild turkey for sure. That extra $2-3 is so worth it over Beam.

It's all about Talisker at the moment. When I drink Scotch straight, it has to be single malt. If mixed with coke, then it doesn't make any difference, so the cheapest, nastiest stuff will suffice.

Haven't had any Bourbon since I decided to polish off a bottle of Woodford Reserve which was an 18th B'day present but had been sitting around for years. Wasn't bad, but didn't make me miss Bourbon at all.

Any single malt scotch is my preference, with 1 or 2 cubes of ice and a jug of water on the side to help with the nose. An exception to this is Laphroaig or however it's spelt. Don't ask me why, but I simply cant stand the peaty nose on it and consequently really don't like it. Personal favorite would have to be Glenmorangie or Macallan.

I do love scotch but I like Cognac, Armagnac and other apertifs such as those more... there are also a lot of nice super premium rums and tequilas out these days designed to be drank straight and sipped.. such as Pirate rum, which is awesome, and Patron Silver... both are awesome, I highly recommend them... Rum especially can be extremely complex flavour wise once you reach the top end.

Candian Club, Though I've only had the premix with Cola. What is the "Dry" stuff like? I also like Highlander.

Im mostly a beer guy, but CC is my fave drink.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scotch or Bourbon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back