Jul 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Melb. Storm, Steelers
I'll start us off soon

Give us a review of your teams effort in 07

Obvious ones are geelong of course......but lets hear about all of them!

Swans- gravity catches up.

Rising teams like the Pies and Cats worked them out while weariness and injury took it's toll. The senior players stuck to their game as always but with diminishing returns and the second tier players they brought through to plug the gaps simply didn't have the experience to make a significant impact. Two relatively injury free years meant a settled side, but it also meant lack of senior opportunity for the developing players.

2008- a number of key squad members will be the other side of 30 and it will also be Tadgh's last if he sticks to his committment to return to Ireland. While there are still a solid core of players with a few years of good footy left, it will be time for a change of approach and possibly a change in personnel. Expect them to be competetive but finishing between 5-10.

Swans- gravity catches up.

Rising teams like the Pies and Cats worked them out while weariness and injury took it's toll. The senior players stuck to their game as always but with diminishing returns and the second tier players they brought through to plug the gaps simply didn't have the experience to make a significant impact. Two relatively injury free years meant a settled side, but it also meant lack of senior opportunity for the developing players.

2008- a number of key squad members will be the other side of 30 and it will also be Tadgh's last if he sticks to his committment to return to Ireland. While there are still a solid core of players with a few years of good footy left, it will be time for a change of approach and possibly a change in personnel. Expect them to be competetive but finishing between 5-10.

pretty good, they do have young players with some good skills but they need some game time and a chance to play with some players who can guide and teach them.

Roosy needs to stop being sentimental theres some people who have to go, the age isnt the problem in all cases. I wouldnt cut hall or kirk and everitt been good. But Leo Barry and crouch have to go. Id also look at trading jude bolton.

we need a tall defender and a skilled midfielder and to inject some of our reserves in gradually and im sure we can be contenders soon enough.

I expect us to make the finals easily with some tweaking, still got some good players and hall will be fit.

But if roos hangs on to players like leo and crouchy etc and sticks by them at the expense of laidlaw, d.okeefe, jack and so on then we could fall hard.

I think everyone has written us off already so good on em who cares.

West Coast Eagles 2007:

*Off field dramas.
*2nd half injuries.
*Judd leaving.
*2 agonisingly close finals losses.

*The form of Glass, Cox, Kerr and Priddis.
*Emergence of Mat Priddis and Hurn.
*Finals effort with lack of players.
*Ability to put off field stuff behind them.
*winning 3 of 4 at the Dome.

A shocking year for an eagles fan.

Disapointing season but with some good young kids coming through and still some stars left and the spirit they showed to play on injured through their finals there will be a fire in the belly over summer to prove people they aren't a one hit wonder.

2008: top 4.

I thought Tadgh was also signed on for the 2009 season.

The Good.
Hawks exceeded everyone's preseason expectations.
The emergence of Buddy, Lewis and Birchall as topliners.
The continued good form of Brown, Mitchell and Hodge.
The resurgence of Crawford.
Still plenty of scope for improvement.

The Bad
Undersized backline.
Inconsistency, Bigger gap between our best and worst than any one else in the comp.
Poor discipline, particularly in the semi final.

Next Year
We have offloaded some experienced campaigners (Smith,Vandenberg, Dixon) and it will be interesting to see how this effects the playing group.
Need a Quality ruckman, Campbell and Taylor are just solid workhorses, hopefully Max Bailey can fill this void.
Campbell Brown to be named captain.
Look for the boys to become men, improved consistency and less silly free kicks at important times.
If the boys mature a bit and put their heads down over the off season Top 4 finish and a tilt at a flag.

Inconsistency, Bigger gap between our best and worst than any one else in the comp.

Oh I bet we could beat you there. Try beating Brisbane at the Gabba, then losing to them by 93 points at the G a couple of months later. Or losing to Richmond, who had one win on the board, then beating Sydney and West Coast in finals.

Oh I bet we could beat you there. Try beating Brisbane at the Gabba, then losing to them by 93 points at the G a couple of months later. Or losing to Richmond, who had one win on the board, then beating Sydney and West Coast in finals.
all it took was one week for us...
great against adelaide
7 days later against North...

Pretty similar thread going here:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379835

For the reference, here's mine on Essendon.

2007 - At Essendon, sad to see James and Sheeds go but we needed a new page turned and that happened. Not too disappointed with our season overall, we got some exciting wins and value for money as members. We came close to making the 8 but didn't have quite enough depth, nor the talent to consistently compete with the top 4 to 6 sides. Only our best 25 gave us a strong enough side this year.

Old Schoolers - Hird is irreplacable, Lloyd's return was strong, Fletcher, Lucas and McVeigh were outstanding, Hille is amongst our most important players but needs better endurance, the Johnson's need a fresh voice in their ears, Peverill was consistent but should return to a Ling-styled tagger role, Lovett-Murray was good once he had some games under his belt, Michael was ok but not as good as I hoped, and McPhee made bad decisions but shouldn't be used as one of our main play-makers - the coach's mistake more than his.

New Schoolers - We need to fast track the development of Ryder and Gumbleton, and get Bradley, Laycock and Johns up to standard or out. Stanton and Watson are now proven midfielders and Davey was an exciting find, Slattery was solid, but I thought Monfries and Lovett dropped a little from previous seasons. I was most impressed with Jay Nash's improvement (IMO underrated), Winderlich took a step, and Dyson showed good signs but wasn't given enough opportunity. Jetta, Hislop, Houli, Dempsey, Hocking and Reimers all look like they have plenty to build on, don't understand why Lonergan wasn't given a run after a good pre-season...

2008 - I think we need to make tough calls and let go of players not up to the standard (Bolton, Rama, Campo, Cole, and maybe Heff and Welsh) and improve our fitness - particularly size & strength across the list. We need a genuine second ruckman up to the required standard and fitness to support Hille. I think we'll be near-about 8 to 10 again next year unless a)some players develop unexpectedly b)Knights is a miracle worker, or c)we add one C.Judd to the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne 2007 - Injuries killed them. Not an excuse but a fact. They went into games with at least 5 best 22 players out, and by the end of the season had 11 first choice players out. You will not win games of footy with depleted sides. Geelong, Kangaroos and Port went so well because they only had 1-2 injured players out at a time. Look at WCE on the other hand.

Melbourne 2008 - A better run with injuries will see this team win at least 10 games and should really make the finals with a list comprising Neitz, Johnstone, Bruce, Green, White, Davey, Robbo (unless traded), McLean, Jones, Sylvia, Rivers and Whelan. Add to this the promising signs shown by Bate, Petterd, Dunn and Bode plus the possible inclusion of Judd will see the Dees play finals footy in 2008. The TAB is quoting Melbourne as equal bottom with Richmond so they will represent good value.

2008 prediction - 6th

The Good
-Obviously, the 4 wins, especially those against Port, WB and Essendon (what a comeback!)
-Andrew Carrazzo stepping up to a whole new level
-The first injury free season of Brad Fisher, showing us all what he is really capable of
-The continual emergence and development of some of our kids who look to have very promising futures.
-Off field stability. For the first time in a while, under Pratt, we are posting profits and gaining large sponsorship deals. Huge improvement on last year.
-New coach. Ratten has the respect of the players, the board, and the supporters. That's already a huge improvement from our last coach.

The Bad
-Brendan Fevola. Very average year from Fev, especially considering what we all know he is capable of. On and off the field he had problems. Managed to kick goals, but overall down on his usual input. Will bounce back.
-Lance Whitnall. Disastrous season from Lance. Injuries, shocking form, and off field distractions all helped to de-rail Lance's season. Won't be captain next year, and may not even be on the list.
-Lack of senior players. Poor drafting from a few seasons ago, as well as the draft penalties, mean we have struggled to find quality senior players who are capable of really leading us forward. Stevens is our only real quality older player on the list, and we all know what happened to him this season.
-Kouta's injury. Was always going to be Kouta's last year, but a very sad way to see him go, knowing that he didn't get the send off that he truly deserved.
-Pagan. Really lost the team and most of the supporters near the end. The game just seemed to pass him by.
-The tanking controversy. I'm not here to say whether we did, or whether we didn't. But it is sad to see that people accuse us of losing on purpose.

Next Year
What's in store for us next year? Hard to say at this point in time. Largely depends on what happens to our playing list between now and the start of the season. If we get Judd, we will finish 10th at worst. If we don't get him, it will be another year of development for the Blues, and I expect to see us finish 12th or 13th.

A fully fit side from the start of next season will be crucial for us. I have no doubt that we will see improved performances from the Blues in season 2008. We're not ready for finals just yet, but we're not too far off.

Essendon:

Good:

The emergence of Winderlich, Laycock, Ryder
The recruiting last year: Gumbleton, Hislop, Jetta, Houli, Davey, Michael
The defensive pressure of Davey
Lloyd's return from injury
Fletcher on the Half Back line.
Another high draft pick
6.5 more wins

Bad:

The way we ended the season (since Rd 14)
Our kicking skills
The dedication when things were bad (2nd Hawthorn game)
Hird leaving

The Future:

A new direction with Sheedy being replaced by Knights, who knows the young players well. Expect lots of game time, in their correct positions, for Bradley and Johns. Should win a similar number of games, unless we get lucky with the close games like this year. A lot more time in the middle for players like Monfries, Winderlich, Laycock, Davey, Lovett.

Should be building for finals in '09, and a serious tilt from 2010 onwards.

KANGAS 2007 - A slow start where we lost the first 3 games had me thinking it was 2006 again and a bottom 4 finish was on the cards. In the end the three teams we lost to (Coll, P.A. & Haw) in the first three weeks all played finals and two of them were in the last four. So in hindsight the performances were OK. We managed to win every game against the teams in the bottom eight except for a red hot Lions (and J.Brown) late in the season. A top 4 finish was sensational effort. Our efforts against the absolute best in the league was not great. Big losses to WC in Perth, Geelong and Port in the finals were disappointing but also showed that although we were Top 4 on the ladder we may not be amoungst the top 4 in the league. However, we did manage to defeat the Hawks in Tassie and the Swans at the Dome. The finals campaign was a sour way to finish the year off, but after round 3 I thought finals were not even possible!!
A returning Nathan Thompson should give our forward line a boost. Another preseason into blokes like McIntosh, Swallow and Pick 3 Hansen should leave us in the battle for the Top 8 next year. A good run with injuries and victories in tight games will determine how the Roos go in 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2007: Give us a review of your team's performance in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back