Season 2018 comings and goings ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that the NFL chief is a valid source of vindication as to where the EFL salary cap should be at. While ideally they should be consistent, individual leagues are in the best position to judge their own limits. EDFL have certainly gone their own way with Salary Cap & Points.

When we go to 10 teams in 'Premier' in 2019 of which the 6 that I believe are either paying the salary cap or are close to it are part of that I am not sure that there will be a change. If you have a majority at an even level what purpose would a reduction serve? The league have the figures and if the majority of teams can maintain this level without slipping into danger, then I don't see an issue.

The loudest noise tends to come from clubs not within the Division?

As per this article attached it states that the Premier Division could remain at $225k for 2019. There has been no EFL noise that his will be reduced into the future at this point.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...9/news-story/f16ba57e6f1f768807371d914a8766e0

The Premier division salary cap could stay at the current figure of $225,000 and the bottom tier salary cap could remain at $75,000, with the other competitions to be “spread pretty evenly in between those two figures”.

I would be interested in who your 6 teams are.If you lower the cap perhaps these 6 teams could spend their excess money on their juniors or even their facilities.

The ideal situation would be all competitions have the same salary cap and points but we know this can not happen especially with country clubs playing in near suburban competitions.For example Yea and Wandin in the YVMDFL.I think it is important for football that NFL,EFL and EDFL have the same salary cap and points.

You make some good points but do you think the premier of 2nd division or will be 1st division in 2019 should have the option of declining promotion?

Last edited:
Balwyn, Blackburn, Doncaster, Noble Park, Norwood, & Vermont I believe would all be thereabouts.
4 of those clubs already have extremely strong & well set-up junior clubs within the EFL.

I don't think the 2nd Division Premier of 2018 will have the chance to go up. due to the realignment of the competition. I would hope it remains the goal of those in 2nd Division to go up if they win, & compete with the big boys. It can be done but does take quite a lot of planning & work.

Not sure that the NFL chief is a valid source of vindication as to where the EFL salary cap should be at. While ideally they should be consistent, individual leagues are in the best position to judge their own limits. EDFL have certainly gone their own way with Salary Cap & Points.

When we go to 10 teams in 'Premier' in 2019 of which the 6 that I believe are either paying the salary cap or are close to it are part of that I am not sure that there will be a change. If you have a majority at an even level what purpose would a reduction serve? The league have the figures and if the majority of teams can maintain this level without slipping into danger, then I don't see an issue.

The loudest noise tends to come from clubs not within the Division?

As per this article attached it states that the Premier Division could remain at $225k for 2019. There has been no EFL noise that his will be reduced into the future at this point.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...9/news-story/f16ba57e6f1f768807371d914a8766e0

The Premier division salary cap could stay at the current figure of $225,000 and the bottom tier salary cap could remain at $75,000, with the other competitions to be “spread pretty evenly in between those two figures”.
$225,000 is a good amount considering most division can cover that. The issue is that some of the more resourced clubs would absolutely be paying above that and working outside of the salary cap but there is no solution to stop it.

Just on Balwyn's recruits, by my rough estimation it will be 28-29 points between 6 players leaving 18 points for the remaining 16. How do you they plan on playing everyone? Rotation policy?

Balwyn, Blackburn, Doncaster, Noble Park, Norwood, & Vermont I believe would all be thereabouts.
4 of those clubs already have extremely strong & well set-up junior clubs within the EFL.

I don't think the 2nd Division Premier of 2018 will have the chance to go up. due to the realignment of the competition. I would hope it remains the goal of those in 2nd Division to go up if they win, & compete with the big boys. It can be done but does take quite a lot of planning & work.

Is the exact make up of 2019 structure expected to be announce at Thursday's EFL AGM?

Looks like the answer is No Fatboy, you would think it shouldn't be too far away.

Aside from a Nunawading situation I can't recall a club with such a large player turnover as at East Burwood.
The inclusions have been well advertised but that has come with some substantial numbers heading out. Certainly will take a while for the boys to gel. We say it every year but another interesting year for the Rams.

Looks like the answer is No Fatboy, you would think it shouldn't be too far away.

Aside from a Nunawading situation I can't recall a club with such a large player turnover as at East Burwood.
The inclusions have been well advertised but that has come with some substantial numbers heading out. Certainly will take a while for the boys to gel. We say it every year but another interesting year for the Rams.
How was 1st week at shark park bobby hearing a nice group of in ??

Things are traveling pretty well BB, expecting some more handy ins. Hoping for some greater depth & a far more competitive Reserves. You get a bit of a gauge at practice matches, but you never know until the real stuff kicks off. Need greater competition for spots, I've said a few times with the Cap & Points it's very much 'list management' these days. Clubs may strategically let some slide to free up some $$ & points.

Shaping as a great season, with some clubs striving to avoid the 'drop' out of the new Premier. There would also be at least 8/9 sides eyeing of a top 5 birth. From what I know around the traps the majority of clubs have improved their list heading into 2018.

If you are planning a trip at Easter, perhaps book from the Saturday BB.

Just on Balwyn's recruits, by my rough estimation it will be 28-29 points between 6 players leaving 18 points for the remaining 16. How do you they plan on playing everyone? Rotation policy?

Another 6 pointer about to join Vermont. Like Balwyn they must now be sailing very close to the points limit.

You missed out JJ? Handy forward.

You hope they return when the glory days are finished BB but realistically we were never a chance with the $ on offer. Great player and a quality young bloke as well.

Are the salary and points caps properly scrutinized by HQ? Must make it tough for the “have nots” when Vermont, Balwyn et al can trump almost every other club in a bidding war.

Things are traveling pretty well BB, expecting some more handy ins. Hoping for some greater depth & a far more competitive Reserves. You get a bit of a gauge at practice matches, but you never know until the real stuff kicks off. Need greater competition for spots, I've said a few times with the Cap & Points it's very much 'list management' these days. Clubs may strategically let some slide to free up some $$ & points.

Shaping as a great season, with some clubs striving to avoid the 'drop' out of the new Premier. There would also be at least 8/9 sides eyeing of a top 5 birth. From what I know around the traps the majority of clubs have improved their list heading into 2018.

If you are planning a trip at Easter, perhaps book from the Saturday BB.
Easter bb please explain ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You hope they return when the glory days are finished BB but realistically we were never a chance with the $ on offer. Great player and a quality young bloke as well.

Are the salary and points caps properly scrutinized by HQ? Must make it tough for the “have nots” when Vermont, Balwyn et al can trump almost every other club in a bidding war.

As I have written above it is not as bad as it appears to those on the outside, & I know embrace the opportunity to compete with the best. There was numerous clubs in the competition tracking Brett, but with his relationship with Besty Vermont always had the front running. The points & cap are monitored & I continually explain to people that it is having a serious effect on the top division (not many seem to listen). We beat Balwyn comfortably twice last season, & Vermont fell in, in our only encounter with them so on the day anything can happen - South Croydon proved that.

We are happy enough to have recently signed Brett's new housemate.

As I have written above it is not as bad as it appears to those on the outside, & I know embrace the opportunity to compete with the best. There was numerous clubs in the competition tracking Brett, but with his relationship with Besty Vermont always had the front running. The points & cap are monitored & I continually explain to people that it is having a serious effect on the top division (not many seem to listen). We beat Balwyn comfortably twice last season, & Vermont fell in, in our only encounter with them so on the day anything can happen - South Croydon proved that.

Can you please elaborate on your comment "points & cap are monitored & I continually explain to people that is having a serious effect on the top division" question monitoring it why does it effect it.

Who's da housemate?

Can you please elaborate on your comment "points & cap are monitored & I continually explain to people that is having a serious effect on the top division" question monitoring it why does it effect it.

Points before the start of the season are submitted to the League, and then audited at that point. Players are at a predetermined value, the maximum level is set & basically this restricts the amount of recruiting that a club can do. There tends to be an uproar when some high profile players are attracted but this can't be done without a strong bucket of 1 point players, or releasing some players of points value. This has had a serious effect on limiting recruiting.

Salary Cap - all contracts are submitted to the league signed by players and club officials. There will be integrity officers implemented at some point, doing some sort investigation work. Despite the pessimistic nature of most, this has restricted amounts paid to players and there seems to be a better understanding there is no longer a bottomless pit - clubs & players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2018 comings and goings ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back