SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So is the answer do nothing?

I'd hope by now the powers above have sat down with the current boss and outlined that what's happening is not tolerable.
Not at all HM. I am just stating what the situation is if you look at it from a wider perspective.

Please see my previous comments about the current incumbent. I don't think he should be in the role but finding someone better isn't going to be easy.

The league did that a couple of years ago by recruiting a current AFL field umpire as the coach and it didn't work out as he couldn't commit the time needed to successfully fill the role. The issue is there isn't a plethora of suitable umpire coaches available. Many umpire coaches start as very well intentioned but walk away due to the time commitment and continual negative environment due to every club and individual apparently knowing the rules of the game and how umpires should umpire each week despite not having any direct involvement.

It is important to find the right person with good character and experience, but unfortunately it appears to be nigh on impossible. Outer East is not a unique case.

The league appointed John Howorth in 2022 and he was a fantastic get. Excellent coaching and understanding of what is required for coaching umpires. Awesome access to online material via his AFL connections.

Where it started to unravel was that the league appointed him on the basis of an estimated 20 hours per week which was OK at start of season. After a short while what they needed doubled but he didn't have that capacity - and wouldn't have signed on at the start of the year if that's what they really wanted.

Added to the fact there was a very unhealthy relationship with umpires association boss (who basically blocked John on phone and email), he was being nobbled out from within and there was no surprise he wasn't coming back for a second year. Real shame though because he was the best we had for a long time.

Last edited:
Not at all HM. I am just stating what the situation is if you look at it from a wider perspective.

Please see my previous comments about the current incumbent. I don't think he should be in the role but finding someone better isn't going to be easy.

That is always the dilemma. Few years ago Allan Grant was appointed and that went south quickly. League parted ways with him mid season and the "no-one is better than the wrong person" model was followed with Aaron Bailey effectively stepping in to do appointments and fill the gap. That was far from ideal and ended up being a torrid year for all concerned.

That is always the dilemma. Few years ago Allan Grant was appointed and that went south quickly. League parted ways with him mid season and the "no-one is better than the wrong person" model was followed with Aaron Bailey effectively stepping in to do appointments and fill the gap. That was far from ideal and ended up being a torrid year for all concerned.
I could give you many reasons why he (the person listed in your message) should never have been appointed to any coaching role in umpiring. His character isn't much better (probably worse) than the current incumbent. Perhaps you heard stories about the infamous motorhome that he had in his possession and what it was allegedly used for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like a pretty serious sling tackle in the Powelly, Junction game. That’s a 2 weeker in the AFL.
Followed by a Melee with punches thrown…… wonder what the outcome is going to be.

Just watched Robbie Allen's hit on the Narre player at the end of the game. One of the worst cheap shots you'll see. I'm no Narre fan at all, but Allen deserves a big stint on the sideline for that.

Check out the footage on valley Vicious. My take is he left the ground and it looked front on. Surely he does a spell on the sidelines for this.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back