SkyHigh

Draftee
May 21, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens Eagles
Hey guys just wondering if you guys have any self belief tips? To help with confidence.. I've had a pretty good year but can play alot better just wondering what everyone else does?

Bit hard mate, it's so subjective to an individual. I always get annoyed at myself/pissed off whenever I do something poorly or incorrect, but only because I hold myself to high standards.

So for me, I mean self-belief has two different aspects.

Personal (ie. when you're alone/competing against yourself) - For me this is the hardest and sometimes the most frustrating. I'll get annoyed that I haven't run as fast as I should have, I haven't lifted what I think I should be capable of etc.

Competitive/External (when you're competing against someone/a team) - Easiest for me. Always believe
(and the best thing here is, I guess, objectively/removing myself from this, it doesn't really matter if you're right or wrong as long as you believe it)
that I'm the best at what I'm currently doing/can beat anyone in a given situation. Now of course I'm not gonna win a gold medal in swimming or beat Chris Judd :/, but obviously just cater that to your own situation.

It's the attitude that if someone said I'm shit and I'm gonna lose, it'd just make me ... (if this is weird lol) excited for how much more enjoyable it's going to be when I win.

Odd topic, but an interesting one :p

Yeh I thought it would be a good topic to talk about. Not your usual topic but it could help.. Thanks mate

Big major tip (well works for me atleast): Rock up to the game at the right time when everyone has arrived and about to start warming-up. No point going earlier. Last time I rocked up even 1/2hr early had pumped myself up so much, had abit of a kick waiting (not too much to save energy)... ended up playing a crap game. You just lost the 'arousal' (as sport scientist call it) and by the time the ball is bounced you're just yawning and ball chasing all day!

preperation

if you know you've prepared the best you could, then you should believe you'll perform

after all, you're only as good as your preperation

if you go after a few drinks on a friday then you'll already surrender to playing shit and you're done before you already begin

I think a good one is to watch a vid/documentary on an athlete that came through adversity in their career to make it. Or read a book, I found the 50th law pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Footy Self Belief?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back