Selwood under the pump

Remove this Banner Ad

I do hope his disposals are a wee bit more accurate this year though. This is one area of his game that tends to let him down.

its wonderful to get the ball against all odds, but you need to have an effective disposal after that to make it worthwhile.

Yes, I agree sometimes they can be... but I'd still rather be in possession and looking to use the ball attackingly than be chasing them defensively.

He doesn't have to work for those possessions, teams don't mind him having the ball in an uncontested possession in the back line, he is the bloke they will leave and not mark up, therefore allowing him to have a higher possession rate down back. They know that on most occasions his possessions will be kicked to a dead spot on the field or result in a contested ball.

I think that in the midfield J.Macdonald will be a big competitor for Selwood, Copeland also fits into the Selwood mold, Robbie showed another string to his bow by playing forward, Selwood must also develop the skill and know how to play another position effectively.

I think we do need a tagger, though I do like the way Leigh usually goes head to head with most teams. Always good to have a player who can shut down the oppositions best. And he's a WA boy like Blacky. :)

Maybe at the end of the yr you could offload him cheaply to WC?

Better yet, let him float in the backline, get a load of useless, uncontested possessions, then trade him to the E-Girls.

I admire his courage and attack on the footy, but lowly skilled footballers with poor decision making skills are always going to cop it a bit from me. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what type of role he can play in the team if the shut down tagging doesn't work this year.

Hmm I never thought about it like that. But he seems to do a good job in tagging so far. Halfback flank on a slower defender? I don't know if he'll have the body strength, but he would have the height.

He doesn't have to work for those possessions, teams don't mind him having the ball in an uncontested possession in the back line, he is the bloke they will leave and not mark up, therefore allowing him to have a higher possession rate down back. They know that on most occasions his possessions will be kicked to a dead spot on the field or result in a contested ball.

Yeah, that's something people overlook a lot. Have a look at that Essendon game, and see how many times he gets it uncontested between halfback, and the wing, gallops 10 and then floats a not quite good enough pass up to Browny and co.

Opposition matchups are pretty sophisticated these days, and they know the quickest and most efficient way of getting possession back is to make sure the other side's worst ball users have most of the kicks. The whole side's kicking efficiency goes down if you make it easy for the ordinary kickers to get it. They basically forced us to funnel the ball through the blokes who's they knew they could pick off easiest.

That Essendon game was an absolutely shocking result for us -- I was fair dinkum punching puppies after that game -- and who were our two leading disposal winners?

Code:
Player    	Kicks 	Hball 	Disps 	
Troy Selwood 	21 	14 	35 	
Richard Hadley 	15 	14 	29

The two blokes who should never finish with more kicks than handballs.

10 weeks later it was Adcock, Hooper and a rejuvenated JMac taking those same kicks and what was the result?

It sure is frustrating watching at times when the disposals are crap.

I remember a few years ago getting frustrated at Scotty and Niges effective disposals. a real groan at times. Love their innovative play but hate their disposals. lol.

Bunno had a pretty good season all things considered - a serious back injury, no pre-season and a couple of unfamiliar roles

his disposal lets him down at times, that's true, but I think he has that rare knack of getting more touches than the star he's tagging...his opponent brings him into the game by leading him closer to the play and then his desperation and hunger for the contest either negate or beat his opponent

he needs to work on setting up play by hand if his kick lacks penetration - if he develops a 20m+ pack-clearing handpass in the mould of Vossy or Scott West he could add some serious value to his stocks

in 2008 i think both Bunno and Sherman will both remind us why we were so excited in 2006 ;)

peace

sorry this is completely irrelevent but has to be asked: who knows what fu manchu got red carded for? great result this guy has a massive chip on his shoulder in regards to brissy and posted in every single thread about them (negatively of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood under the pump

Remove this Banner Ad

Back