Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

…and credit to our boys - we shut it down for 2 1/2 minutes at the end. Talk about learnings!
Yeah that was really well done. No silly handballs or knock ons into space except where absolutely necessary. And even more importantly there were no hack kicks to where an unmarked Giants player may have been lurking, ready to mark and in range to kick at goal.

One moment in particular that stood out to me was where Bez probably had enough time to whack it on the boot, but instead he handballed forwards, towards the boundary but not over it, and then our pressure was good effort to bundle the ball out of bounds. Thought it was really well done.

Also, after the initial flurry of the centre bounce, which we actually won and had numbers forward of the ball, we quickly reverted and only Joe was ahead of the ball for the remainder of the game. The Giants marked all our guys up which then made it relatively easy to block up the game.

There was only 2:26 remaining when we hit the front, whereas Collingwood hit the front with just under 3 to play. To my mind it was still the correct decision to hold our forward line in that game, trying to seal the win while there was still more than 3-4 minutes left. Equally, it was the right call here to shut the game down with only 2 minutes to go.

I was worried we might have hit the front too early, but we executed superbly. Very happy to be wrong on that front.

I have so much man-love for Joe. He cares so much and tries so hard. They get stuck into him because he can sometimes get it wrong, but you can’t do the miraculous without the occasional mistake!
We hear so little from him, but i reckon he’s got a massive heart and he wants to win as much as anyone.
He looked like he gave a stuff on Saturday night and played accordingly. This transition in his overall demeanour this season is something I think we've all noticed, and not surprisingly it's coincided with an incredible uplift in his defensive intent, which I had simply assumed we'd never see. It's been remarkable.

Hopefully the best is yet to come.

Zorko got done for one earlier in the game from a massive shank
There was one by someone that Oscar gave up running towards - if he'd continued, it would've been a throw-in because he probably would've been close enough to muddy the intent, but he pulled up, it kept dribbling along before going out so the whistle went.

I've kept receipts on those who wish for my boi Ah Chee to be out of the 22 next season. Let this be a warning to you. Never doubt my boi.
But he and McCarthy will be fighting for the same position. Lohman and bailey are also small forwards. Don't forget Charlie.

It will be dog eat lion

But he and McCarthy will be fighting for the same position. Lohman and bailey are also small forwards. Don't forget Charlie.

It will be dog eat lion
For me Ah Chee is 26 and really starting to hit his straps as an AFL player. He is currently outperforming Charlie (not a knock on Charlie as he is contributing). We are not sure how McCarthy will come back though is kicking accuracy would be a welcome addition. A lot water to go under the bridge before we need to go into this in great detail. In the mean time enjoy the Ah Chee ride!

I walked into a random shop in the middle of nowhere on Saturday morning, Korumburra for those of you that may know it, to check out some records, and the song playing as I walked in was country road, i just knew it was a sign :)
Make sure you don't sample any local mushrooms.

I was stunned that the game wasn't a sell out, what is going on with Giants fans not showing up dlanod ?

They have 30,000+ members and can't sell out a 24,000 seat stadium for a knockout final, there were a large number of seats vacant in the upper tier.
This was very disappointing. Gold Coast and the Giants seem years away from financial security. The best Brissie news this year was sixty odd thousand members.

That Sam Taylor deliberate/insufficient intent free kick which Joe kicked a goal from was clearly there... surprised that there seems to be around a 50/50 perspective on it. If that was a true attempt at a tap to his team mate, even with the contact he got, then the ball wouldn't have gone directly towards the boundary.

It's funny how there has been a decent amount of talk about that free kick call and yet no one talks about the missed blatant throw that happened to give Taylor the ball.
If you look at the contest before that Charlie (i think) had tackled and locked down one arm of that curly headed Giants defender who just tossed the ball over his shoulder. Go and replay the incident and see it was a free kick nearly just in front. I was out of my seat yelling how it wasn't paid. He made no attempt to hand ball it because it was impossible for him to do it.

The problem is they don’t care about your actual intent only what happens. He didn’t intend to punch it directly out but he did.

I think it was similar to earlier in the game when one of our players tried to kick it to big O down the wing but shanked it and got done for insufficient intent. Our player didn’t intend to kick it out but that’s what happened. I thought that was a controversial one but you can’t pay that and then not pay the Taylor one which was much clearer, I thought.
Look at my post on this. I should do a multi post to direct everyone to the terrible free kick miss the contest before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone wants to listen to a radio call during the weekend, I recommend the Triple M call. Just started listening to it on the flight home. BT is much better on radio than on TV, Jack Heverin seems like a pretty good co-caller also. Jude Bolton on special comms and the jewel in the crown is the always on point Lions nuffy Kate McCarthy.

And they were actually at the ground, which is more than you could say for 3AW I believe.

Her comments were truly fantastic, made you sit up and listen.

Just finished watching the replay.

1- Jarrod Berry was even better than I thought he was at the ground live, BOG for me.
2- Great to see Zorko call the emergencies into the circle for the song.. Sharp, Fort and Joyce.
3- Even players that were well down on the night did some vital non stats type things in the last quarter eg. Rayner, Charlie, Payne, Hippy.
4- McKenna added some zip when he came on.

Hopefully the overwhelming emotion and physical toll of such an unlikely win doesn't drain us for the Prelim.

Just finished watching the replay.

1- Jarrod Berry was even better than I thought he was at the ground live, BOG for me.
2- Great to see Zorko call the emergencies into the circle for the song.. Sharp, Fort and Joyce.
3- Even players that were well down on the night did some vital non stats type things in the last quarter eg. Rayner, Charlie, Payne, Hippy.
4- McKenna added some zip when he came on.

Hopefully the overwhelming emotion and physical toll of such an unlikely win doesn't drain us for the Prelim.
Just on Conor; I thought he looked really good when he came on, was back to what he produced last year and best I recall of him this year. Having watched the replay many times, particulalry from about when Conor came on. I wouldn't have thought he is getting dropped from that outing.

I think the debate is around the fact that the ball seemed to come off the back of Taylor's hand. Whilst I think the call was correct through maroon, blue and gold glasses, it was certainly an interesting way of trying to find the boundary. Who knows, maybe he'd been practicing it at training in an attempt to avoid getting pinged. If so it backfired spectacularly!

Should have been a non issue as the throw was there a second earlier in a better spot for a Brisbane free kick.

Bit harsh on Joe

Greater Western Sydney v Brisbane
7 Jesse Hogan (GWS)
5 Jarrod Berry (BL)
5 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Callum Ah Chee (BL)
4 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Tom Green (GWS)
1 Connor Idun (GWS)
1 Joe Daniher (BL)

Bit harsh on Joe

7 Jesse Hogan (GWS)
5 Jarrod Berry (BL)
5 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Callum Ah Chee (BL)
4 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Tom Green (GWS)
1 Connor Idun (GWS)
1 Joe Daniher (BL)
Purely from a Lions standpoint I think they got it right and the correct order > 1- Berry/Ashcroft. 3- Ah Chee. 4- Zorko. 5- Daniher. Could easily justify swapping Joe and Zorks around though.

Love the guy in the next cubicle (black and white check shirt) cheering the Lions.

Joe the sickness and the cure - I reckon that will have legs for the rest of the season.

Bit harsh on Joe

7 Jesse Hogan (GWS)
5 Jarrod Berry (BL)
5 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Callum Ah Chee (BL)
4 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Tom Green (GWS)
1 Connor Idun (GWS)
1 Joe Daniher (BL)
Would votes have gone something like:

Kingsley / Fagan
5 Berry / Ashcroft
4 Hogan / Zorko
3 Ah Chee / Hogan
2 Green / Ah Chee
1 Idun / Daniher

Just on Conor; I thought he looked really good when he came on, was back to what he produced last year and best I recall of him this year. Having watched the replay many times, particulalry from about when Conor came on. I wouldn't have thought he is getting dropped from that outing.
I agree. In fact I think when McKenna came on for Morris it was a major factor in our turnaround. Suddenly we had a lot more run and with the smaller forward line we disrupted the GWS defence which led to so many running goals. From a coaching perspective I thought it was a great move to do that half way through the third quarter and Fagan should get some credit for it rather than the usual negative commentary he cops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Back