Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how much playing witches hats in week 1 of the finals didn’t help us for the GWS matchup and whether we struggled with the gap in tempo. The fumbling and uncharacteristic mistakes says maybe yes.

I wonder how much playing witches hats in week 1 of the finals didn’t help us for the GWS matchup and whether we struggled with the gap in tempo. The fumbling and uncharacteristic mistakes says maybe yes.
Could be true. If so i hope the Cats have the same issue.
I still believe the break will do us good the further we progress.
Time will tell

Watching AFL 360 as fages is on. They showed images of the giants on the siren, usually it’s despair on the face of players but a lot of their players were in genuine shock. Rare that you see those expression on a footy field.

Watching AFL 360 as fages is on. They showed images of the giants on the siren, usually it’s despair on the face of players but a lot of their players were in genuine shock. Rare that you see those expression on a footy field.
At the ground in all my elation immediately post the siren I looked across the isle and there was a young couple in Giants regalia who were so distressed, tears streaming down the lady's face and utter despair on their faces, standing like statues unable to believe what they had seen.

I felt so bad for them, felt like going over and offering some comfort but thought it would not be appreciated in that moment... I did feel terribly sorry for the Giants supporters though, we know what it's like to cough up a big lead.

At the ground in all my elation immediately post the siren I looked across the isle and there was a young couple in Giants regalia who were so distressed, tears streaming down the lady's face and utter despair on their faces, standing like statues unable to believe what they had seen.

I felt so bad for them, felt like going over and offering some comfort but thought it would not be appreciated in that moment... I did feel terribly sorry for the Giants supporters though, we know what it's like to cough up a big lead.

Once they have a photo of Joe on their dart board I'm sure they'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would votes have gone something like:

Kingsley / Fagan
5 Berry / Ashcroft
4 Hogan / Zorko
3 Ah Chee / Hogan
2 Green / Ah Chee
1 Idun / Daniher
I think that's the most likely split but also struggle to understand how both coaches could give a BoG to one of Berry/Ashcroft but ignored the other

Sam Taylor lost 7 of 41 contested defensive one on ones this year (most lost was 2 in round 8 vs Sydney).

He lost 5 of 11 on the weekend. Which is both a testament to how many times he was beaten one on one, but also how often we managed to isolate a one on one.

Sam Taylor lost 7 of 41 contested defensive one on ones this year (most lost was 2 in round 8 vs Sydney).

He lost 5 of 11 on the weekend. Which is both a testament to how many times he was beaten one on one, but also how often we managed to isolate a one on one.

Credit to the quieter forwards; Charlie and Rayner?

Those lamenting the games of Rayner and Hipwood should go and have a good look at the replay

Both make significant contributions to our winning burst of 6 goals in the last quarter.

It's not all about stats and posessions and it never has been with either of these two players.

If one's measure of contribution towards team is AFL Fantasy points , you're just not paying attention to what matters

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
One of the things I really noticed in the replay, especially in the last few minutes, was Rayner repeatedly forcing his way into a contest, putting his body on the line, in ways that did not necessarily earn him possessions but nonetheless contributing to the ball continuing to move in our direction. Again and again, up and down the ground.

One of the things I really noticed in the replay, especially in the last few minutes, was Rayner repeatedly forcing his way into a contest, putting his body on the line, in ways that did not necessarily earn him possessions but nonetheless contributing to the ball continuing to move in our direction. Again and again, up and down the ground.

Rayner's willingness to be a battering ram goes unappreciated by many who think stats definie performance.

Like Lachie in the last quarter, you can change the course of the game without touching the ball.

Rayner's willingness to be a battering ram goes unappreciated by many who think stats definie performance.

Like Lachie in the last quarter, you can change the course of the game without touching the ball.

Which was exactly my point.

Rayner wasn't having a great game but he did one or two bloody good things when it really counted.

Demonstrating that even if you're not having your best game you can still make a significant contribution.

One of Craig Starcevic's mantras to his AFLW team is that it's all about moments and no wiser words have ever been spoken.

Last edited:

Yep

No way will the cats allow that

Need hippy or morris to be more of a threat this week. Add rayner to that

Smalls all chipped in v giants as a group

Yep. Stood out to me watching the 2nd half. When he was around the contest, his body was going hard at the ball or the GWS players.

It was a pretty even contribution from our whole team apart from Morris who hardly touched it after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Yep. Stood out to me watching the 2nd half. When he was around the contest, his body was going hard at the ball or the GWS players.

It was a pretty even contribution from our whole team apart from Morris who hardly touched it after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Morris was good last week, can't get too annoyed with such a novice getting overawed and lost by the tempo of a final.

He'll be better next week for the experience.

Last edited:
Absolutely disgraceful the way Lachie is manhandled with no protection from the Umps.

There was a stoppage in the first quarter where three Giants were blocking him AND Bedford was also holding him.

UMPIRES: "Play on"

It's a weird juxtaposition that Lachie hardly ever gets a free kick, yet the Umpires regularly award him Browlow votes.

Almost like they think he is so good, he doesn't need any "help"
Lachie is far from the only one who receives the treatment. FWIW I would like to see more frees paid to mids who are constantly being held and scragged, it would stop that fairly quickly.

Some great analysis here from Jeff White, ostensibly about Will Ashcroft but also highlights Oscar's influence in starting the comeback.

Our true barometer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Back