Game Day Semi Final v Brisbane, @ MCG 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Bar Grand Finals, there has been a total of six Brisbane games at the MCG where there has been more than 50,000 fans. Ever.
I’m not advocating that we draw big crowds, we certainly do not. I was just adding context to the above.

I wish there was a world where I could experience a packed MCG with my team playing (Besides those Grand Finals) but it’ll never happen. I’ve been to a few Carlton/Collingwood 90k games and it’s unreal.

A few of you have asked who is Tom Fullarton
He is a Ruck/Fwd/defender in that order. 200cm & 92kg. An x basketballer with Brisbane Bullets. 23 years old
Played only 18 AFL games in three years
Below part of what i posted on our thread
Tom has played in 2 finals, so that experience will help. However we did lose both
Tom has been sub once this year and was not used
Tom played 3 games this year Bombers, Hawks, Cats without a win
Lets hope his win/loss record improves tonight
Below the last time one of our players pulled out of a semi final to attend his childs birth.
Hope for us the result is closer

"Bradshaw famously missed the 2000 second semi-final against Carlton to be with Angie for the birth of their first child, a game the Lions went on to lose by 82 points."
With Daniher out the bookies (bet 365) have Lions at big odds of $4.50 to Demons $1.22
I give us a good chance for one reason only. We played well last week

Re crowds, putting aside the spotfire breaking out... are you guys surprised attendances have not been higher this year?

I was at the round 15 match (flogging more like it) and the crowd was okay maybe 40k from memory? Hardly a dire crowd given lions had maybe 5-7k there. But I thought given you won a flag this year, and have been top 4 all year with a chance to win a flag at the G, it would have been a massive bandwagon effect.

I know you don't have the supporter base of the really big clubs, but i always thought the Dees had a big inactive supporter base that would come out of the woodwork and you would be the sort of team to regularly get 50k to games at the G even against lower drawing teams.

As for the game... going in with zero expectations. Our weapons (mainly forward line) are already blunted and just seem so well covered by you in the past.

I think the only chance the lions have is keeping close through the first half - at that point some self doubt might creep into Melbourne's heads, given the 10-0 start and not wanting to blow it.

It's not your forward line that worries me but your superior spread from your flankers and midfield. They pick so many holes in us that your forward line, which i think atm is not up to a flag, works well enough to kick 100+ against us for an easy win

Anyway best of luck, not sure you will need it!

Re crowds, putting aside the spotfire breaking out... are you guys surprised attendances have not been higher this year?

I was at the round 15 match (flogging more like it) and the crowd was okay maybe 40k from memory? Hardly a dire crowd given lions had maybe 5-7k there. But I thought given you won a flag this year, and have been top 4 all year with a chance to win a flag at the G, it would have been a massive bandwagon effect.

I know you don't have the supporter base of the really big clubs, but i always thought the Dees had a big inactive supporter base that would come out of the woodwork and you would be the sort of team to regularly get 50k to games at the G even against lower drawing teams.

As for the game... going in with zero expectations. Our weapons (mainly forward line) are already blunted and just seem so well covered by you in the past.

I think the only chance the lions have is keeping close through the first half - at that point some self doubt might creep into Melbourne's heads, given the 10-0 start and not wanting to blow it.

It's not your forward line that worries me but your superior spread from your flankers and midfield. They pick so many holes in us that your forward line, which i think atm is not up to a flag, works well enough to kick 100+ against us for an easy win

Just On the crowds, we've really copped it this year when it really hasn't been that bad.

This is our SECOND best year ever for home crowds (not including Alice Springs) in the AFL era, and that's without Queen's Birthday/Anzac eve and with the Covid hangover for the first half of the year. And we were also involved in 5 of the top 15 crowds this year, and 5th overall in average attendance

We just don't have the pulling power of the big 4 and we don't have a huge casual fanbase either. As an example, I work at a plumbing company with about 70 blokes, and there's about 3 Dees fans in the whole lot, but they're big fans and have always gone to games whether we've been good or not

A lot of people have been overestimating how many supporters there are, especially for a club that wouldn't have gained any in decades either

Last edited:
A few of you have asked who is Tom Fullarton
He is a Ruck/Fwd/defender in that order. 200cm & 92kg. An x basketballer with Brisbane Bullets. 23 years old
Played only 18 AFL games in three years
Below part of what i posted on our thread
Tom has played in 2 finals, so that experience will help. However we did lose both
Tom has been sub once this year and was not used
Tom played 3 games this year Bombers, Hawks, Cats without a win
Lets hope his win/loss record improves tonight
Below the last time one of our players pulled out of a semi final to attend his childs birth.
Hope for us the result is closer

"Bradshaw famously missed the 2000 second semi-final against Carlton to be with Angie for the birth of their first child, a game the Lions went on to lose by 82 points."
With Daniher out the bookies (bet 365) have Lions at big odds of $4.50 to Demons $1.22
I give us a good chance for one reason only. We played well last week
To be honest a lot of Dees supporters will tell you that we get killed more by the players who aren't stars more than the stars themselves.

Hell Sydney's leading goal kickers in Franklin and Heeney only kicked a goal between them! (Although they did have stars like Parker killing us)

I might put money on Fullarton to kick 4 on us

Hi Melbourne fans, just wanted to stop by and say hi

And how is Christian Petracca doing? I mean, really, how is he doing? Any disabling injuries? Something, say, that the gambling community might not yet know about? Here, let me see those fibulas

Untitled-1.jpg

Crowd numbers are down everywhere and Thursday nights are a shit timeslot for attending. Richmond played on a Thursday night and got under 30k (We got 37k in our Thursday night game).

Why are so many in the footy world so obsessed with our crowds? They've actually been good this year, and 78k against Sydney last week is massive.

We're a small club but punch well above our weight in terms of attendance. It's very bizarre the criticism we get.

To be honest a lot of Dees supporters will tell you that we get killed more by the players who aren't stars more than the stars themselves.

Hell Sydney's leading goal kickers in Franklin and Heeney only kicked a goal between them! (Although they did have stars like Parker killing us)

I might put money on Fullarton to kick 4 on us
Save your money
I will be happy if he just plays a team role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JVR to kick 5 and Daniher to kick 4, oh wait, wrong universe...
We should win by 21 pts but won't be surprised if Bris overrun us in the last qtr.

Anyone got the veil at the ready just in case? Not sure what to make of tonight, agree with others than I’m finding it hard to get that excited, but will fire up when the ball is bounced, finals is still damn exciting even if we’re not 100%.

Let’s win for that flog Zorko, then face a Geelong who will surely still have a few thoughts about last years prelim..

Dees by 31!

JVR to kick 5 and Daniher to kick 4, oh wait, wrong universe...
We should win by 21 pts but won't be surprised if Bris overrun us in the last qtr.
I will be DISGUSTED with anything other than a 21 point win.

🤗

If Melkshambles doesn't Batista Bomb Zorko through the interchange bench, then what's the god damn point.

Look, after the late great Grimsey rage quit in a fury of broken teeth and declared we will not lose another game again, we have lost a game. We must lift to honour the most ITK ITK this board has ever... known. We straight set tonight we make a liar out of Grimsey, IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT MELBOURNE? HUH? DO IT FOR GRIMSEY!

If not change the channel. :$

If you want to add context, the MCG was under heavy renovation that year. Pretty sure an entire stand was missing.

Carry on though.
Add a bit more context, Collingwood drew 77000 against Port Adelaide 2 weeks later in the prelim. Missing stand wasn’t the reason there wasn’t more than 66000 for the Brisbane game.

Add a bit more context, Collingwood drew 77000 against Port Adelaide 2 weeks later in the prelim. Missing stand wasn’t the reason there wasn’t more than 66000 for the Brisbane game.
The 77k figure is very impressive, considering the Grand Final itself only had 79k and I believe 2004 was the same 79k attendance for the GF.

We had 56k at the MCG for our home game against Geelong in the PF, which drew a bigger crowd than Geelong v Essendon the week prior at the MCG (53k).

I truly believe if our golden era happened in todays age, with a non-reno MCG, we'd have gotten bigger crowds in general but crowds back then just weren't overly massive.

But again, there is only so much support in Melbourne for the Lions. A lot of old roy supporters didn't even transition to Lions supporters. Either stopped following the AFL or picked a Melbourne based team.

Look, after the late great Grimsey rage quit in a fury of broken teeth and declared we will not lose another game again, we have lost a game. We must lift to honour the most ITK ITK this board has ever... known. We straight set tonight we make a liar out of Grimsey, IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT MELBOURNE? HUH? DO IT FOR GRIMSEY!

If not change the channel. :$
On the other hand if we straight sets then oracle danster was right and we can go ahead with the Grand Plan to recruit 6 key forwards

Aaron Cadman (?) can then kick 50 goals from FF next year and we win a flag

On the other hand if we straight sets then oracle danster was right and we can go ahead with the Grand Plan to recruit 6 key forwards

Aaron Cadman (?) can then kick 50 goals from FF next year and we win a flag
Wow this has turned into a diamond car vs a diamond building type exercise now. WHO WILL WIN OUT? Definitely be some huge truths exposed after the conclusion of this game

Sorry for intrusion, have to say you guys are the most composed group of supporters I’ve seen on Big Footy. After lurking last week and this week, no panic, no fear, just calmness which must come from having belief in your club. Us swans fans tend to panic in comparison. Kudos and good luck tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back