Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

If this performance trend continues and it becomes apparent that Woosha has lost the players, then we should move heaven and earth to get Caracella.
Way too early this year for most of this, but if we were going to move heaven and earth there would be one duo worth it, Balme and Clarkson.

Way too early this year for most of this, but if we were going to move heaven and earth there would be one duo worth it, Balme and Clarkson.
I don't think Clarko would leave. His money-ball approach to recruitment is working better than what anyone thought would be the case.

I don't think Clarko would leave. His money-ball approach to recruitment is working better than what anyone thought would be the case.
I don't either, but if you were to go and move heaven and earth for anyone, Clarko is the only one worth throwing everything else out for at this stage.

Last edited:
I never rated him as a coach back in the day. He had the best midfield ever assembled, in a time where you could leave your better players on the ground for most of the game. He had two coaching moves. Never let the opposition have a loose defender, even if that meant playing an 8 man forward line and 4 man backline. If things weren't working out, swing Hunter forward.

Having said that he's been a good steady hand for what has been a time of much upheaval at the club. The only way he works as a coach is if he has the next Clarkson or Sheedy develop under him, and he is a head coach to keep the organisation together.

I hate how we're copying the game plan of Collingwood and Richmond. Richmond was forced into that because, despite the quality of some of their KPPs, they were a little undersized. Collingwood was forced into that because their KPPs are shit after over investing in their midfield. West Coast actually won the flag last year, not either of the other two. They did not have that game plan because they have a gun KPF, a quality CHF and excellent big intercepting marking players in defence. Hawthorn dominated the league for most of the previous 5 years with a game plan based around ball movement.

A good coach looks at what he has and makes a game plan that works for that. He also works with his list manager to get the exact type of player he needs to fulfil what he wants, and develops them appropriately.

If we were to imitate what Collingwood and Richmond have done, we'd play Laverde, Langford and Stringer in the forward line as mobile marking targets who all pinch hit in the middle. We'd keep McKernan deep and kick long to HIS ADVANTAGE so if he didn't mark it the opposition would require extra support in the air that Stringer, Tippa and Fanta could feed off. After spending part of their early years in defence we'd have Heppell and Myers push back from the midfield and support the defenders. We'd set up Saad and McKenna to burst forward as much as possible. We'd use Myers as a get out of jail long kick that would allow us to set up behind the ball if we were not able to get onto the spill at the back of their zone.

In the end, it never happens. When we set up with too much focus on the structure, the players get lost and the opposition waltzes through it. Confidence levels drop. We don't get in good offensive position and we can't break from the pressure. Then confidence drops further.

Last year should have made that clear to everyone.

For years ive wondered who runs our club. Recent years has suggested Adrian Dodoro is the bloke in control of this club. Every man for himself at this club it seems

Im worried why we have someone like Haden Skipworth as an assistant coach. He did nothing in his career. How can young players look up to people who didnt brint it on the field in their day (same for Paul Corrigan, Rob Harding and Neeld who they thankfully disposed of). Dont these guys have to lead by example. At least Woosha and James Kelly were champion players FFS - get rid of these muppets and bring in poeple like Blake Caracella, Brett Ratten or even Goddard. Is Diesel still helping them out?

As far a bad opinions go this is right up there. What did Clarkson do as a player? Belt a few blokes? Bolton wasn't even an AFL player and he's well on the way to turning Carlton around and on their current trajectory they'll be winning their next flag long before us.

What I don't get is Worsfold in his playing day was one ruthless defender yet the team he coaches doesn't play anything like that

Saints didn’t play attacking ruthless footy like Tim Watson did in his day either.

It happens a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a thread for Paul Turk leaving. He resigned 6 weeks ago and Barrett (who is blacklisted at the club) broke the news. Not sure if that makes him a scapegoat or if it just makes Barrett a weasel for choosing to release this news with this timing. Sat on it for 6 weeks and then when his club does shithouse he starts churning out Essendon articles without actually having access to anyone at the club. Sure.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/paul-turk-fitness-boss-departs-essendon.1214427/

We may have the best game plan in the world but we’ll never know without the required effort.

It's incredibly frustrating listening to the football media fumble it's way around this issue.

The game plan was fine in the first quarter after which point the pressure and work rate dropped off so severely, at least relative to GWS, that the game plan became irrelevant.

There was a more substantial change in the game plan between Feb 2018 and May 2018 than what there has been between the end of last season and what we are trying to do if we want to be Richmond.

Hell, there was a more substantial change in the game plan in the week between our matches against Carlton and Geelong last year.

The second half of 2018 laid the foundations for Rutten to tweak. Which is not me saying that it was the real Essendon or anything that positive.

All this talk about game plans is smoke and mirrors. I have my opinions about what the real cause of our problems is but I dont know what EFC is trying to cover up and I doubt that we agree (which is not to say that anyone should care what I think).

It's incredibly frustrating listening to the football media fumble it's way around this issue.

The game plan was fine in the first quarter after which point the pressure and work rate dropped off so severely, at least relative to GWS, that the game plan became irrelevant.

There was a more substantial change in the game plan between Feb 2018 and May 2018 than what there has been between the end of last season and what we are trying to do if we want to be Richmond.

Hell, there was a more substantial change in the game plan in the week between our matches against Carlton and Geelong last year.

The second half of 2018 laid the foundations for Rutten to tweak. Which is not me saying that it was the real Essendon or anything that positive.

All this talk about game plans is smoke and mirrors. I have my opinions about what the real cause of our problems is but I dont know what EFC is trying to cover up and I doubt that we agree (which is not to say that anyone should care what I think).
Yes the media really do neglect the fact we had the majority of play in our forward half and were stopping GWS executing any quick play in the first ten minutes of the match. I think that was more the game plan than anything else we saw from then on (which was obviously a debacle).

Last edited:
Yes the media really do neglect the fact we had the majority of play in our forward half and we stopping GWS executing any quick play in the first ten minutes of the match. I think that was more the game plan than anything else we saw from then on (which was obviously a debacle).

That's usually the case. If you're well prepared tactically, it will show early in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back