Setanta

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be alot of people around this board that seem to speak very highly of Setanta. After watching the game on thur night, and all of his games last year im still not quite sure what the fuss is alot about. Sure, he get exited and its enjoyable to watch but to me he doesnt seem to influence games nearly enough. At a time where we are screaming for key position players in our forward line, he doesnt seem to hold a big enough physical presence, or capible of playing CHF. His skills, although getting better are still not at AFL standard and he is already 25. By the time he starts peaking in 2 years his body will start limiting his ability to play 2 years later. With his size, he is the perfect candidate to be that marking option that we so dearly need at CHF, but he doesnt have the class or ability.

People are frustrated that teams like the hawks, dons (who were down with us) had good wins, but when you compare their tall forwards (the likes of Franklin, Roughhead, lloyd, lucas) to people like Setanta those players are in a different class, and kick bags regularly. As long as we have players like setanta in our team, were never going to match it with the best. And stop being so biased... As much a people like him around here he hardly ever get more than about ten possessions and he doesnt present nearly well enough!

He shits all over Roughead.:cool:

Lloyd kicked 4 on Setanta in round 3 last year. Only two of those were in any way attributed to beating Setanta.

He has shown (prior to getting ill and losing a lot of muscle bulk) that he can match the big forwards physically, but also has an incredible closing speed, allowing him to spoil a lot when other backmen wouldn't make the contest in time.
He has also shown very good goal sense.

You say his skills are poor. I say he slotted one from 50m out on a slight angle at the G on Thursday night, and for a guy who has played < 50 AFL games, and < 100 Aussie rules games ever, he is a gem.

He played last year after round 7 as a ruck, and it hurt us badly. If we can get Hampson in this week, and Setanta on Gehrig, our backline will look heaps better.

How quickly people forget how excited we were watching him at FB in 2007 until Cloke did his shoulder and he became a gap filler.

Has everyone already forgotten his 30-40m punches out of defence that would almost launch us right back into attack?!?!

But yes, he does need to be given a specific position on the ground to establish as his own, because he will not be able to be a 'tall athletic utility with the potential to be anything' for too long, at 25yo he really does need more than potential to keep him in our best. Hopefully Thursday was the last time he'll ever be needed to pinch hit in the ruck :thumbsu:

Just remember, Sentana has been ill with something in the vain of Scarlett fever. He has lost a lot of weight and by consequence strength and endurence as well.
Let him build up again and I think we will have "monster" in the back line to worry many a forward.

To all those saying Setanta should be played in defence and be allowed to settle there, outta curiosity, how do you see our backline? Way i see it, Waite and Jamison appear to be certainties to line up in the back, I think most people are finally realising Bower could be somethign special and is playing alright now, and a lot of people (admittedly not me), would have Thornton in the side. So would you play a backline of Waite, Jamison, Thornton, O'hailpin, and Bower all in one game? 5 talls :O I too think Carlos has showed a lot in defense, but the only bloke I would drop from our backline to let Setanta in is Thornton, and nearly everybody, including the coachign staff, would disagree with me on that lol. Admittedly it'd be nice to see Waite moved to CHF and Carlos in the backline, but it looks like Waites a permanent defender now

To all those saying Setanta should be played in defence and be allowed to settle there, outta curiosity, how do you see our backline? Way i see it, Waite and Jamison appear to be certainties to line up in the back, I think most people are finally realising Bower could be somethign special and is playing alright now, and a lot of people (admittedly not me), would have Thornton in the side. So would you play a backline of Waite, Jamison, Thornton, O'hailpin, and Bower all in one game? 5 talls :O I too think Carlos has showed a lot in defense, but the only bloke I would drop from our backline to let Setanta in is Thornton, and nearly everybody, including the coachign staff, would disagree with me on that lol. Admittedly it'd be nice to see Waite moved to CHF and Carlos in the backline, but it looks like Waites a permanent defender now

Jamo plays well on smalls, as does Thornton and Bower can play on smalls as well

Jamo plays well on smalls, as does Thornton and Bower can play on smalls as well
Spot on.

Thornton played on Brown in the first half and did a great job.
Jamison has played on Tarrant and Medhurst with some success in the past as well.

They are versatile.

We have a good backline in the making, but (to borrow a saying from Pagan :eek:) we can't put 50 games into thse blokes in a week.

Jamison, Bower and Grigg have all played SFA footy and are doing fine given their experience levels. They will get better and leaving them to learn each others games together will help in the long run.

Was Waite a certainty half way through the 2nd qtr last Thurs night?
He will continually get moved to plug holes, which in itself is ridiculous

Yeah fair enough, good point. Jamo however played on smalls before he bulked up, and I now see him as taking the biggest forward every week. And despite some of them being able to play on smalls, its still a pretty tall backline if the ball hits the ground. A good small forward could cause a lot of problems at ground level. However I see what you mean. Does that mean you'd be happy playing a backline with Waite, Jammo, Bower, O'hailpin and Thornton? I still think its too tall, regardless of if they can play small or not. We'd need more pace running it out

Was Waite a certainty half way through the 2nd qtr last Thurs night?
He will continually get moved to plug holes, which in itself is ridiculous

It looks like Ratten will use Waite like Worsfold does Hunter. Waite appears a certainty to line up at CHB every game, but if we find ourselves in strife it looks like he'll be moved up. If this happens as much as it does with Hunter i'll be satisfied - Waite will still be spending the majority of his time in the one position

Remove this Banner Ad

Setanta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back